SP2 Boot failure, system freeze, AGPCPQ.SYS, AGP440.SYS lock-ups.

=?Utf-8?B?VHJlYm9y?=

      19th Oct 2004
Hi, I'm far from new to computers and I don't want to upset too many people
but I have a major disappointment (and that's trying to be humble) with SP2.

This is what I've found out so far concerning the issues with:
- boot failures
- lock-ups of system after re-boot
- AGPCPQ.SYS or AGP440.SYS freeze in safe-mode after install.
- UPDATE.SYS
- KB885626 FIX failure

1) First, I did what most users did. Update through Windows Update. Managed
to download SP2 after an eternity (2 days) Broadband connection 10Mbit on my
side...But I wasn't in a hurry.

2) Install, everything seems ok. Reboot. "Blue screen of death" for half a
millisecond and then autorestart. No safe-start, or any option makes system
available!!! I'm basically locked out! Reinstall (Many thanks to Imaging
Software!)

3) Update all drivers, update Bios. Download SP2 full file for IT
professionals and wait the 60 minuts it takes to reinstall SP2 (hugh)

4) Re-boot. Computer dead again! In safe mode however, I get a stop at file
AGPCPQ.SYS (just after AGP440.SYS) which to some might cause a "bling" since
it coincides with a previous problem in Windows2000. However, I enter NTFSDos
and remove the files for fun, this time process freezes at another file than
the ones listed above. So thus, it is not an AGP drive issue like Microsoft
Support throws in your face. I have updated the AGP to the very latest (and
they are new). SIS645dx version 1.17e and also graphic card.

5) Check support and get info on kb885626 Prescot computers. Verify with
Intel Frequency ID Utility what processor I have. It reads Family: F, not a
Prescot, but a Northwood - thus it is in the range of processors affected of
the known issue with microcoding. Info is given to update BIOS or run the
FIX. I do the latter since there is no newer fix than I already have.

6) Restart after install of the fix (SP2 yet not installed!) and after 30-60
seconds system freezes completely. Please note SP2 not installed and this is
the fix that causes the problem with freeze! The same fix that is supposed to
fix the install of SP2. Well, thank you! I'm not very positive about the
outcome...

7) Restart in safe mode and it works ok though. I then decide to, what the
heck...

8) Install SP2 - Reboot. Works ok, for about 30-60 seconds, then it's dead
again, just like with the fix. But Halleluja. The SP2 installed this time and
reboot works!! Safe-mode is ok and does not freeze up like normal mode. Good,
now I can play.

9) I get pe:d off and check the system files and do some real-playing around
since MICROSOFT Support for SP2 does not offer any helpful advice and knows
less than what I've figured out so far (have you updated your drives,
unplugged usb's, bios updated, checked that the power-chord is plugged in
(!??!) - Well, yes I have. And raindance and running around computer
clock-wise three times. Erhh... let me get back on the issue they say.
Haven't heard from them)

10) I decide to do exactly what the KB885626 says I shouldn't do. I make a
copy of the UPDATE.SYS from my original XP SP1a installation and save it.
Then I do another (about the 10th installation of SP2) after the KB885626 fix
that causes my computer to freeze after install. Then I rename the SP2 203 kb
UPDATE.SYS and replace it with UPDATE.SYS (SP1a file - about 130kB). Double
Halleluja. It works. NO freezes, NO lock-ups, NO problems... so far.

Now to questions for you who made it through this post so far:
- KB885626 does not work as it should! Faulty Fix for my type of processor?
Not Prescot, but Northwood?
- SP2 writes some bad code into UPDATE.SYS that causes processor to fail -
is this needed in the file?
- UPDATE.SYS - what does it do? Why does this file lock up my system, and
without it, it works ok? Is it really that needed???
- How come Microsoft says to us victims out there: Update your BIOS:es. It's
not really our fault. If 20 motherboard manufacturors suddenly have to sit
down and write BIOS codes for computers they don't even sell anymore, what
kind of attack on this issue is that when it is an SP2 issue!!
- And no, I don't sit on a crap computer. It is a laptop, top of the art 10
months ago, and I can still play Far Cry on it. With laptops you have other
issues as well - trying to find drives. I can't just unplug a device that
easy or update a funky processor to check with another.

So please all SP2 worshipers out there. There are issues with SP2. Full
stop. It has not been Beta tested properly and several IT consultants are
warning for issues of more than 10% of computer installations going funky.

And please, Mr Microsoft. It's time to fix the issue properly (FIX for the
885626fix or whatever). In this case the unsupported processors...

My Info:
- OS: Tried on XP Home, XP Pro, XP PRO Slipstreamed SP2. (slipstreamed
freezes at installing devices (33 minutes reamining!) KB885626 not slipped or
run into the installation disk, so it explains...
- All tests on clean install (no antivirus, no other software, even without
firewalls- Nada!)
- Test has been made with standard drivers, complete update of drivers and
even BIOS update (newest available on the market at this moment about 5
months old!)
- It has been tested with Windows Update and downloaded as an independent
SP2 file.

Computer:
- Gericom Laptop 3.06 GHz, 512MB
- ATI 9000 Mobility Radeon
- WLAN SIS
- HD Toshiba MK4025GAS
- Matshita UJ-815A
- Smart Link modem

Processor:
Intel(R) Processor Frequency ID Utility
Version: 7.1.20040716
Time Stamp: 2004/10/18 18:18:14
Number of processors in system: 1
Current processor: #1
Processor Name: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.06GHz
Type: 0 <---------------------------- Funky Type?
Family: F <---------------------------- Funky Family!
Model: 2
Stepping: 7 <---------------------------- Funky Stepping?
Revision: 27
L1 Trace Cache: 12 KĀµops
L1 Data Cache: 8 KB
L2 Cache: 512 KB
Packaging: FC-PGA2
MMX(TM): Yes
SIMD: Yes
SIMD2: Yes
SIMD3: No
NetBurst(TM) Microarchitecture: Yes
Expected Processor Frequency: 3.06 GHz
Reported Processor Frequency: 3.06 GHz
Expected System Bus Frequency: 533 MHz
Reported System Bus Frequency: 533 MHz

Many thanks.

Yves Leclerc

      19th Oct 2004
Did you ever install a Chipset driver for your laptop?? AGPCPQ.SYS and
AGP440.SYS seem to be old, generic AGP slot drivers and only by install a
correct AGP slot driver, it may correct this issue. The AGP slot drivers
are usually included with the chipset drivers.

"Trebor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]
> firewalls- Nada!)
> - Test has been made with standard drivers, complete update of drivers and
> even BIOS update (newest available on the market at this moment about 5
> months old!)
> - It has been tested with Windows Update and downloaded as an independent
> SP2 file.
>
> Computer:
> - Gericom Laptop 3.06 GHz, 512MB
> - ATI 9000 Mobility Radeon
> - WLAN SIS
> - HD Toshiba MK4025GAS
> - Matshita UJ-815A
> - Smart Link modem
>
> Processor:
> Intel(R) Processor Frequency ID Utility
> Version: 7.1.20040716
> Time Stamp: 2004/10/18 18:18:14
> Number of processors in system: 1
> Current processor: #1
> Processor Name: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.06GHz

=?Utf-8?B?VHJlYm9y?=

      19th Oct 2004
Hi,
I've installed the AGP update (SIS) and aslo updated graphic cards... the
issue seems to not be AGP related as people generally tend to believe with
the sp2 install, but with a microcoding issue (system only locks at
AGP***.SYS files - but take the files away, and system locks earlier).

Thanks anyway.

"Yves Leclerc" wrote:

> [...]
> > firewalls- Nada!)
> > - Test has been made with standard drivers, complete update of drivers and
> > even BIOS update (newest available on the market at this moment about 5
> > months old!)
> > - It has been tested with Windows Update and downloaded as an independent
> > SP2 file.
> >
> > Computer:
> > - Gericom Laptop 3.06 GHz, 512MB
> > - ATI 9000 Mobility Radeon
> > - WLAN SIS
> > - HD Toshiba MK4025GAS
> > - Matshita UJ-815A
> > - Smart Link modem
> >
> > Processor:
> > Intel(R) Processor Frequency ID Utility
> > Version: 7.1.20040716
> > Time Stamp: 2004/10/18 18:18:14
> > Number of processors in system: 1
> > Current processor: #1
> > Processor Name: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.06GHz

New Member

      3rd Jun 2008
The solution is simple: enter in BIOS, go to Config, Serial ATA and at SATA Controller Mode Option select Compatibility instead AHCI. I give you the BIOS menu from a Lenovo T61 8889-B5G laptop. Yours could be a little bit different, but I gues you got the ideea. After that reinstall Windows and have fun Please let me now if it works: (E-Mail Removed)

New Member

      13th Jun 2009
I have the same problem with my Lenovo T61. A couple weeks ago, I had the same problem. Maybe it locked up on agp440.sys instead of agpCPQ.sys like it does now. Anyway, I flashed my bios and it seemed to solve the problem. Today, the problem returned with a freeze on agpCPQ.sys. I tried the solution you offered here and altered the setting to compatibility and I still get the same lockup on boot.

This is a problem indeed...

New Member

      6th Jul 2010
Hi,

The Answer to the SP2 and SP3 problem in this laptop is the 'update.sys' file which is in Windows/system32/drivers folder.

If you load Windows XP with SP1 then go to the Windows/system32/drivers folder and copy the 'update.sys' file and put it somewhere safe....ie My Documents.

Then load SP2 but before rebooting, after it has installed, go to the Windows/system32/drivers folder and rename the update.sys file to something like updown.txt. Get the SP1 copy of the update.sys and place it in the folder....THEN reboot the PC.

It will work fine and there will be no lockups within 30secs of getting the desktop screen.

Again if you want to go up to SP3 do exactly the same and the laptop will work fine.

Took me 2 weeks to find the answer to this problem and I fixed the laptop so it now works just like new.

Also I found by Partitioning the harddrive...UBUNTU 10.1 works really well on this laptop....so it's now dual-booting with either XP SP3 or UBUNTU.

Hope this helps any Advent 7017 laptop owners out there.