PC Review


Reply
Thread Tools Rate Thread

Sorting contacts with multiple categories - Outlook 2003

 
 
RJ
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      14th May 2009
I have many outlook contacts that are assigned to multiple categories. When
i sort by category, it shows the categories in this manner:

Example: John Doe is assigned to 3 categories (Purchaser-Urban,
Purchaser-Retail, Purchaser-Suburban)

When viewed by category it sorts in this manner

Categories: Purchaser-Urban, Purchaser-Retail, Purchaser-Suburban

Is there any way to show just the individual categories even though a
contact is assigned to all 3?

so when sorted it would look like this instead of grouping all 3:

Categories: Purchaser-Urban
Categories: Purchaser-Retail
Categories: Purchaser-Suburban

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Judy Gleeson, MVP Outlook
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      14th May 2009
Categpries is a field which cannot in fact be "sorted" as items may fall in
more than one Category. Microsoft do use the term sort a little loosely in
2007 though.

What you are seeing is the Contacts Grouped By Category. That's the way it
shows.

On a slightly different but probably useful note, you may find defining your
own views which are filtered by Category useful. eg only show Category =
green. You can then quickly access the filtered view.

Turn on your Advanced Toolbar so you can a) get to the Current View window
and b) always be aware of which view you are seeing.

Judy Gleeson
MVP Outlook

www.judygleeson.com


"RJ" wrote:

> I have many outlook contacts that are assigned to multiple categories. When
> i sort by category, it shows the categories in this manner:
>
> Example: John Doe is assigned to 3 categories (Purchaser-Urban,
> Purchaser-Retail, Purchaser-Suburban)
>
> When viewed by category it sorts in this manner
>
> Categories: Purchaser-Urban, Purchaser-Retail, Purchaser-Suburban
>
> Is there any way to show just the individual categories even though a
> contact is assigned to all 3?
>
> so when sorted it would look like this instead of grouping all 3:
>
> Categories: Purchaser-Urban
> Categories: Purchaser-Retail
> Categories: Purchaser-Suburban
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
GF in CT
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      24th Jun 2009

Dear Judy,

Can you explain why when I apply two catagories to a contact, I cannot
control which catagory name & color show in the field? I apply
yellow/airline and blue/AA to one contact. I wish to have "blue/AA" show in
field. Both catagories apply to the business card, but my list view will
sometimes show "yellow/airline".

Also, can I sort on either one of these catagories?

Thanks,


"Judy Gleeson, MVP Outlook" wrote:

> Categpries is a field which cannot in fact be "sorted" as items may fall in
> more than one Category. Microsoft do use the term sort a little loosely in
> 2007 though.
>
> What you are seeing is the Contacts Grouped By Category. That's the way it
> shows.
>
> On a slightly different but probably useful note, you may find defining your
> own views which are filtered by Category useful. eg only show Category =
> green. You can then quickly access the filtered view.
>
> Turn on your Advanced Toolbar so you can a) get to the Current View window
> and b) always be aware of which view you are seeing.
>
> Judy Gleeson
> MVP Outlook
>
> www.judygleeson.com
>
>
> "RJ" wrote:
>
> > I have many outlook contacts that are assigned to multiple categories. When
> > i sort by category, it shows the categories in this manner:
> >
> > Example: John Doe is assigned to 3 categories (Purchaser-Urban,
> > Purchaser-Retail, Purchaser-Suburban)
> >
> > When viewed by category it sorts in this manner
> >
> > Categories: Purchaser-Urban, Purchaser-Retail, Purchaser-Suburban
> >
> > Is there any way to show just the individual categories even though a
> > contact is assigned to all 3?
> >
> > so when sorted it would look like this instead of grouping all 3:
> >
> > Categories: Purchaser-Urban
> > Categories: Purchaser-Retail
> > Categories: Purchaser-Suburban
> >
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      24th Jun 2009

"GF in CT" <GF in http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Can you explain why when I apply two catagories to a contact, I cannot
> control which catagory name & color show in the field? I apply
> yellow/airline and blue/AA to one contact. I wish to have "blue/AA" show in
> field. Both catagories apply to the business card, but my list view will
> sometimes show "yellow/airline".


My experiments indicate that whatever color category is added first is the one
shown in the field.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Categories for contacts vs. categories for mail AleksandarSM Microsoft Outlook Contacts 1 2nd Mar 2009 08:24 PM
Categories in Contacts - How to add new categories Shrikant Microsoft Outlook Discussion 6 3rd Nov 2008 09:45 AM
Sorting contacts using multiple categories =?Utf-8?B?cmlja2luZXNj?= Microsoft Outlook Contacts 5 24th Feb 2007 11:35 AM
Organizing contacts in folder by categories - new categories missi =?Utf-8?B?QW5uaWUgQmVzdA==?= Microsoft Outlook Contacts 5 16th May 2006 03:26 PM
Re: How do I group categories into sub-categories in Outlook 2003? Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook] Microsoft Outlook Discussion 2 14th Apr 2005 10:55 PM


Features
 

Advertising
 

Newsgroups
 


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:13 AM.