Sort the Remote Desktops (I mean tsmmc.msc not mstsc.exe) server l

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9obi0xMy0zLTA2?=

      13th Mar 2006
I find it increasingly frustrating that there is no simple sort operation
that can be done on the tsmmc.msc (Remote Desktops) server list. I manage
over a hundred servers and find the Remote Desktops tool the easiest way to
connect to a console session, however by design it does not have a means of
sorting the servers list alphabetically. The tsmmc.msc appears to save the
server list in Base64 however I am not a programmer to be able to code a
utility that can sort the list for me... Can anyone here assist?

Vera Noest [MVP]

      13th Mar 2006
This has been tried before, and as far as I know, nobody has
succedded yet.
Here's a link to some posts by Alex Angelopoulos, who investigated
the problem a couple of years back:

http://groups.google.com/group/micro....terminal_serv
ices/browse_frm/thread/ead4d4093234009b/b08ef0c91ad9659a?
hl=en#b08ef0c91ad9659a

You could submit this on Microsofts Feedback site:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv.../feedback.mspx

Vera Noest
TS troubleshooting: http://ts.veranoest.net
SQL troubleshooting: http://sql.veranoest.net
___ please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ___

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9obi0xMy0zLTA2?=
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote on 13 mar 2006 in
microsoft.public.win2000.termserv.clients:

> I find it increasingly frustrating that there is no simple sort
> operation that can be done on the tsmmc.msc (Remote Desktops)
> server list. I manage over a hundred servers and find the Remote
> Desktops tool the easiest way to connect to a console session,
> however by design it does not have a means of sorting the
> servers list alphabetically. The tsmmc.msc appears to save the
> server list in Base64 however I am not a programmer to be able
> to code a utility that can sort the list for me... Can anyone
> here assist?

TP

      14th Mar 2006
Not exactly what you want, but an alternative is to
create a folder full of .rdp files set to connect to
the console. That way you could have them
in alpha order.

-TP

John-13-3-06 wrote:
> I find it increasingly frustrating that there is no simple sort
> operation that can be done on the tsmmc.msc (Remote Desktops) server
> list. I manage over a hundred servers and find the Remote Desktops
> tool the easiest way to connect to a console session, however by
> design it does not have a means of sorting the servers list
> alphabetically. The tsmmc.msc appears to save the server list in
> Base64 however I am not a programmer to be able to code a utility
> that can sort the list for me... Can anyone here assist?

Vera Noest [MVP]

      14th Mar 2006
John is talking about the Remote Desktops utility from the 2003
AdminPak.
Like John, I love and hate this tool. The main feature is that you
can manage all rdp sessions in a single window, and it connects to
the console by default, but the main disadvantage is what John
describes: no sorting order whatsoever.

Vera Noest
TS troubleshooting: http://ts.veranoest.net
SQL troubleshooting: http://sql.veranoest.net
___ please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ___

"TP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote on 14 mar 2006 in
microsoft.public.win2000.termserv.clients:

> Not exactly what you want, but an alternative is to
> create a folder full of .rdp files set to connect to
> the console. That way you could have them
> in alpha order.
>
> -TP
>
> John-13-3-06 wrote:
>> I find it increasingly frustrating that there is no simple sort
>> operation that can be done on the tsmmc.msc (Remote Desktops)
>> server list. I manage over a hundred servers and find the
>> Remote Desktops tool the easiest way to connect to a console
>> session, however by design it does not have a means of sorting
>> the servers list alphabetically. The tsmmc.msc appears to save
>> the server list in Base64 however I am not a programmer to be
>> able to code a utility that can sort the list for me... Can
>> anyone here assist?

TP

      14th Mar 2006
Yes, I know.

I was just suggesting an alternative. Many people are
not aware that you can save a .rdp file to a console
session because there is no "connect to console"
checkbox in the RD client interface.

The other thing is that the RDP Activex is very easy to
work with. It would not be a big deal to write a program
in vb.net that did the same thing as the mmc. Maybe a
few hours work.

-TP

Vera Noest [MVP] wrote:
> John is talking about the Remote Desktops utility from the 2003
> AdminPak.
> Like John, I love and hate this tool. The main feature is that you
> can manage all rdp sessions in a single window, and it connects to
> the console by default, but the main disadvantage is what John
> describes: no sorting order whatsoever.

> Vera Noest
> TS troubleshooting: http://ts.veranoest.net
> SQL troubleshooting: http://sql.veranoest.net
> ___ please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ___

Vera Noest [MVP]

      15th Mar 2006
Aaah, I see. I read your sentence:

> Not exactly what you want

as "I'm not exactly sure what you want". Sorry.

Vera Noest
TS troubleshooting: http://ts.veranoest.net
SQL troubleshooting: http://sql.veranoest.net

"TP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote on 14 mar 2006:

> Yes, I know.
>
> -TP
>
> Vera Noest [MVP] wrote:
>
>> John is talking about the Remote Desktops utility

New Member

      7th Nov 2006
I found after a long search this freeware working fine as alternative to the tsmmc.msc. And the best, it comes with a sort function :-)

visionapp remote Desktop (vRD 1.4)
http://www.visionapp.com/111+B6Jkw9M...et_URL_ID_TOK#

You may have to register to get the file.
greetings