PC Review

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.

Sony Shuts Down PlayStation Network 'Indefinitely'

Acruncher

2nd May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by floppybootstomp View Post
What's the difference between a deep bow and a shallow bow I wonder?
Wonder no more

Quote:
Those of us who have visited Japan, worked or lived there, know that Japanese people bow all day long. I personally have great respect and admiration for Japanese culture, having learned about cultural subtleties when I stayed in Tokyo on a prolonged business trip. The bow - ojigi in Japanese – is a traditional way of greeting and showing respect. There are also rules to follow when one is greeted with a bow.
First of all, observe carefully and bow back at the same depth and angle as you have been bowed to.The angle in a casual bow is about 15 degrees from the vertical position, and your hands are not touching the other person. If you are a man, your hands are “glued” to the sides of your body; if you are a woman, your fingertips are slightly touching in front of your body. Your feet are in a V-shape position – touching at the heels and pointing outward. Lower your chin and eyes as you make a bow, especially if you are bowing to an elder or very important person.The depth of the bow shows respect and indicates the status of the two people.
http://www.etiquetteoutreach.com/blo...rship%20skills

"There's a saying in Estonia that in order to see new things, you have to follow common paths - paths you know."
Games people play, you take it or you leave it
Things that they say, honor brite
If I promise you the moon and the stars, would you believe it
Games people play in the middle of the night
~Alan Parsons Project, Games People Play

Acruncher

3rd May 2011
Looks like Sony were hacked earlier than they thought.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-13256817

Quote:
However, it added that "on 1 May we concluded that SOE account information may have been stolen".
Sony was quoted by the Associated Press (AP) news agency as saying that the latest incident occurred on 16 and 17 April.
This was earlier than the larger Playstation user security breach.
Sony said that during the most recently discovered security breach, names, home addresses, e-mail addresses, dates of birth, phone numbers and gender information was taken.
Additionally, direct debit details of around 10,700 customers in Austria, Spain, the Netherlands and Germany were stolen, as were the credit or debit card details of some 12,700 non-US customers.
Broader investigation Sony explained that the information included card numbers and expiry dates, but said that it was taken from a 2007 database which was securely encrypted.

"There's a saying in Estonia that in order to see new things, you have to follow common paths - paths you know."

@120Hz

3rd May 2011
Sony: “Passwords Were Not Stored In Cleartext Form”

Quote:
One other point to clarify is from this weekend’s press conference. While the passwords that were stored were not “encrypted,” they were transformed using a cryptographic hash function. There is a difference between these two types of security measures which is why we said the passwords had not been encrypted. But I want to be very clear that the passwords were not stored in our database in cleartext form
http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2011/05/...leartext-form/

Gigabyte Z87X-OC | i7 4770K @ 4.4Ghz | Corsair H80i | 16Gb TeamGroup Vulcan Orange
EVGA 780 FTW | Creative X-FI Titanium HD | 500Gb Samsung EVO SSD + 4TB's of Storage
Corsair HX850 | Logitech G25 | Ducky Shine III | Deathadder 2013 | Wireless 360 Pad
Corsair Carbide 300R | BenQ XL2420T | Acoustic Energy Aego M | Windows 8.1 64 Bit

Rocket Scientist

3rd May 2011
Thanks V_R, that's some good news about the passwords at least!

@120Hz

6th May 2011
Important Step for Service Restoration

Quote:
Today our global network and security teams at Sony Network Entertainment and Sony Computer Entertainment began the final stages of internal testing of the new system, an important step towards restoring PlayStation Network and Qriocity services.
As previously mentioned, we’ve been working around the clock to rebuild the network and enhance protections of your personal data. It’s our top priority to ensure your data is safe when you begin using the services again.
We understand that many of you are eager to again enjoy the PlayStation Network and Qriocity entertainment services that you love, so we wanted you to be aware of this milestone and our progress. We will provide additional updates as soon as we can.
http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2011/...e-restoration/

Gigabyte Z87X-OC | i7 4770K @ 4.4Ghz | Corsair H80i | 16Gb TeamGroup Vulcan Orange
EVGA 780 FTW | Creative X-FI Titanium HD | 500Gb Samsung EVO SSD + 4TB's of Storage
Corsair HX850 | Logitech G25 | Ducky Shine III | Deathadder 2013 | Wireless 360 Pad
Corsair Carbide 300R | BenQ XL2420T | Acoustic Energy Aego M | Windows 8.1 64 Bit

Acruncher

7th May 2011
http://www.businessinsider.com/reven...e-nerds-2011-5

Quote:
I am not saying what George did was right (although I am very sympathetic to hackers opening devices like the iPhone, the Kinnect, the PlayStation, etc so that developers can build on them). I am not saying that Sony's lawyers weren't in the right when they sued George. This is not a post about what is right and wrong, legally or morally.
If it was hackers rather than criminals that have caused the disruption at Sony then the above is a very interesting slant on the affair.

@120Hz

7th May 2011
Old news and purely speculation.

@120Hz

7th May 2011
Service Restoration Update

Quote:
As you may know, we’ve begun the process of restoring the service through internal testing of the new system. We’re still working to confirm the security of the network infrastructure, as well as working with a variety of outside entities to confirm with them of the security of the system. Verifying the system security is vital for the process of restoration. Additional comprehensive system checks and testing are still required, and we must complete that process before bringing the systems online.
As you’ve heard us say, our utmost priorities are the security of the network and ensuring your data is safe. We won’t restore the services until we can test the system’s strength in these respects.
When we held the press conference in Japan last week, based on what we knew, we expected to have the services online within a week. We were unaware of the extent of the attack on Sony Online Entertainment servers, and we are taking this opportunity to conduct further testing of the incredibly complex system. We know many of you are wanting to play games online, chat with your friends and enjoy all of the services PlayStation Network and Qriocity services have to offer, and trust me when I say we’re doing everything we can to make it happen. We will update you with more information as soon as we have it. We apologize for the delay and inconvenience of this network outage
http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2011/...ration-update/

Cookie Monster

7th May 2011
bout time they got it done now, i used to play zombies on call of duty online quite often with work mates, nights havent been the same

| Asus P6X58D-E Intel X58 | i7 950 | MSI GTX580 Twin FrozR | 6 gig Corsair XMS3 | Corsair TX850 |

@120Hz

7th May 2011
I honestly think it will be another week, at least...

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: