Sonic Update Manager problem

=?Utf-8?B?RGF2ZUs=?=

      2nd Jan 2006
At system log in, windows repeatedly trys to configure Sonic Update Manager,
and continually requires me to "insert Sonic Update Manager disk". It also
is looking for a file UM.MSI. This software was preloaded with my hardware.
It is persistent and won't go away.

Can you please help with a solution?
Thanks.
--
DaveK

=?Utf-8?B?QmVhY2hHaXJs?=

      20th Jan 2006
Hi, I have the same problem, and can't seem to get anyone to answer??? Did
you ever get a response?

"DaveK" wrote:

> At system log in, windows repeatedly trys to configure Sonic Update Manager,
> and continually requires me to "insert Sonic Update Manager disk". It also
> is looking for a file UM.MSI. This software was preloaded with my hardware.
> It is persistent and won't go away.
>
> Can you please help with a solution?
> Thanks.
> --
> DaveK

joe pat

      27th Feb 2006
ok guys I just had the same problem with my Dell Inspirion and it is/was
quite annoying...for me it was caused by deleting programs that had some
kind of tie in to Sonic.
So if your problem is you keep getting prompted about some UM.MSI file then
here's how I fixed it.

Short way:
goto => http://tools.roxio.com/support/dell/isum_hotfix.exe

then "run" file isum_hotfix.exe , reboot your pc and the problem should be
gone.

Long Way
1)goto www.Sonic.com
2)Click "Support"
3)Slect product "Digital Media Source"
4)Click "Ask Sonia"
5)Scroll down, type in your name
6)Type in question box "UM.MSI"
7) I selected option 3 which is link I posted above.

Good Luck,

Joepat

New Member

      11th Mar 2007
Thanks for the help it work for me

New Member

      28th Dec 2008
thanx for this, i also have an inspiron, and deleted MyDVDLe which is related in some way to sonic. the above method worked a treat.

New Member

      16th Jul 2009
I tried the previous suggestion it did not work.
But what did work was this:
This can also be an error of the Update Manager unsuccessfully attempting to update itself. To update, remove this program using the Add/Remove Programs control panel. It will be called either "Roxio Update Manager" or "Sonic Update Manager". Then download the latest version here and install.
If you decide to permanently remove the Update Manager, it will not affect the performance of any Sonic or Roxio software currently installed on the system.
Mine worked on the first try.

If you still have a problem try this:

If Update Manager fails to uninstall, corruption has occurred that prevents removal. You will have to manually remove Update Manager: Download and install Microsoft Cleanup Utility located here. Run the application and select Sonic (or Roxio) Update Manager, and select Remove.
  • Go to My Computer --> C:\\Program Files\Sonic. If there is a folder named Update Manager, right click on it and select delete.
  • Browse to C:\Documents and Settings\<--user name-->\Application Data\Sonic and delete the "Update Manager" folder.
Here is the link tho the sonic site with this and other tips for this fix:
http://kb.roxio.com/search.aspx?URL=...=set-locale=en