"someone else is logged on in your computer" message

=?Utf-8?B?bGlsYQ==?=

      4th Jan 2005
Hello, I went to shut down my laptop and a message appeared stating that
someone else is logged om my computer, are you sure you want to continue".
Does Windows XP Home Edition have a feature that can allow computer literate
users to have access to my computer without me knowing??

Byron Hinson

      4th Jan 2005
lila wrote:
> Hello, I went to shut down my laptop and a message appeared stating that
> someone else is logged om my computer, are you sure you want to continue".
> Does Windows XP Home Edition have a feature that can allow computer literate
> users to have access to my computer without me knowing??

If someone else has clicked there name in the login area and you have
then loaded up your Windows XP profile (when you login) this message
will come up when you shut down. You need to make sure any users who
have access to that laptop logout when they finish using it.

--
Byron Hinson
http://www.activewin.com

=?Utf-8?B?bGlsYQ==?=

      4th Jan 2005
Thank you Byron. I searched on the MS site and slightly educated myself on
file sharing which I now know has nothing to do with my original, however, I
know someone who I think may be accessing my computer without me knowing,
this person has been in the computer tech field for 20 years and I have an
inkling that he spying on my computer activity (email etc...) does Windows XP
have a feature that allows me to see if this is possible...thank you!

"Byron Hinson" wrote:

> lila wrote:
> > Hello, I went to shut down my laptop and a message appeared stating that
> > someone else is logged om my computer, are you sure you want to continue".
> > Does Windows XP Home Edition have a feature that can allow computer literate
> > users to have access to my computer without me knowing??

> If someone else has clicked there name in the login area and you have
> then loaded up your Windows XP profile (when you login) this message
> will come up when you shut down. You need to make sure any users who
> have access to that laptop logout when they finish using it.
>
> --
> Byron Hinson
> http://www.activewin.com

=?Utf-8?B?bGlsYQ==?=

      4th Jan 2005
in addition to my last response, i think he is accessing my pc from another pc.

"lila" wrote:

> Thank you Byron. I searched on the MS site and slightly educated myself on
> file sharing which I now know has nothing to do with my original, however, I
> know someone who I think may be accessing my computer without me knowing,
> this person has been in the computer tech field for 20 years and I have an
> inkling that he spying on my computer activity (email etc...) does Windows XP
> have a feature that allows me to see if this is possible...thank you!
>
> "Byron Hinson" wrote:
>
> > lila wrote:
> > > Hello, I went to shut down my laptop and a message appeared stating that
> > > someone else is logged om my computer, are you sure you want to continue".
> > > Does Windows XP Home Edition have a feature that can allow computer literate
> > > users to have access to my computer without me knowing??

> > If someone else has clicked there name in the login area and you have
> > then loaded up your Windows XP profile (when you login) this message
> > will come up when you shut down. You need to make sure any users who
> > have access to that laptop logout when they finish using it.
> >
> > --
> > Byron Hinson
> > http://www.activewin.com

Alexander Grigoriev

      7th Jan 2005
If you switch to the logon screen, and try to shut it down from there, you
will see the message, even though there is only your logon session active.

The message only appears if there are interactive logon sessions other than
currently active.
The message may also appear if there is remote desktop session.

"lila" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello, I went to shut down my laptop and a message appeared stating that
> someone else is logged om my computer, are you sure you want to continue".
> Does Windows XP Home Edition have a feature that can allow computer
> literate
> users to have access to my computer without me knowing??

=?Utf-8?B?SmF5IExlbWxleQ==?=

      6th Feb 2006
I have the same questions as Lila, I have three home computers and have had
the warning message at differing sessions while online with the internet. I
attempted - many times - to figure out if anyone else was truly logged-on but
never had any proff one way or another. I have tried to log-off my personal
account to see the XP log-in screen, and still I never see anyone else logged
in or any other processes running on the other user accounts????? This
screen looks exactly as it did at first boot-up, and still it gives another
warning (someone else is logged on...) when you shut-down from the log-in
screen.

This is extreemly bothersome... Is there a security problem or is this a
glich in the Windows XP Operating System?

"lila" wrote:

> Hello, I went to shut down my laptop and a message appeared stating that
> someone else is logged om my computer, are you sure you want to continue".
> Does Windows XP Home Edition have a feature that can allow computer literate
> users to have access to my computer without me knowing??

Drew Tognola

      6th Feb 2006
Jay & Lila,

A wireless network can easily be hacked into.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...ebruary10.mspx

Drew

"Jay Lemley" <Jay (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have the same questions as Lila, I have three home computers and have
>had
> the warning message at differing sessions while online with the internet.
> attempted - many times - to figure out if anyone else was truly logged-on
> but
> never had any proff one way or another. I have tried to log-off my
> personal
> account to see the XP log-in screen, and still I never see anyone else
> logged
> in or any other processes running on the other user accounts????? This
> screen looks exactly as it did at first boot-up, and still it gives
> another
> warning (someone else is logged on...) when you shut-down from the log-in
> screen.
>
> This is extreemly bothersome... Is there a security problem or is this a
> glich in the Windows XP Operating System?
>
> "lila" wrote:
>
>> Hello, I went to shut down my laptop and a message appeared stating that
>> someone else is logged om my computer, are you sure you want to
>> continue".
>> Does Windows XP Home Edition have a feature that can allow computer
>> literate
>> users to have access to my computer without me knowing??

=?Utf-8?B?SmF5IExlbWxleQ==?=

      6th Feb 2006
Thank you Drew, the article was good. But my question remains, isn't there a
way to view and identify any outside log-ons and to view the resorces that
are being accessed???

Sincerely, Jay

"Drew Tognola" wrote:

> Jay & Lila,
>
> A wireless network can easily be hacked into.
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...ebruary10.mspx
>
> Drew
>
> "Jay Lemley" <Jay (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have the same questions as Lila, I have three home computers and have
> >had
> > the warning message at differing sessions while online with the internet.
> > attempted - many times - to figure out if anyone else was truly logged-on
> > but
> > never had any proff one way or another. I have tried to log-off my
> > personal
> > account to see the XP log-in screen, and still I never see anyone else
> > logged
> > in or any other processes running on the other user accounts????? This
> > screen looks exactly as it did at first boot-up, and still it gives
> > another
> > warning (someone else is logged on...) when you shut-down from the log-in
> > screen.
> >
> > This is extreemly bothersome... Is there a security problem or is this a
> > glich in the Windows XP Operating System?
> >
> > "lila" wrote:
> >
> >> Hello, I went to shut down my laptop and a message appeared stating that
> >> someone else is logged om my computer, are you sure you want to
> >> continue".
> >> Does Windows XP Home Edition have a feature that can allow computer
> >> literate
> >> users to have access to my computer without me knowing??

Bob I

      7th Feb 2006
R-click My Computer, Manage, System Tools, Shared folders.

Jay Lemley wrote:

> Thank you Drew, the article was good. But my question remains, isn't there a
> way to view and identify any outside log-ons and to view the resorces that
> are being accessed???
>
> Sincerely, Jay
>

> "Drew Tognola" wrote:
>

>>Jay & Lila,
>>
>>A wireless network can easily be hacked into.
>>http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...ebruary10.mspx
>>
>>Drew
>>
>>"Jay Lemley" <Jay (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>>I have the same questions as Lila, I have three home computers and have
>>>had
>>>the warning message at differing sessions while online with the internet.
>>>attempted - many times - to figure out if anyone else was truly logged-on
>>>but
>>>never had any proff one way or another. I have tried to log-off my
>>>personal
>>>account to see the XP log-in screen, and still I never see anyone else
>>>logged
>>>in or any other processes running on the other user accounts????? This
>>>screen looks exactly as it did at first boot-up, and still it gives
>>>another
>>>warning (someone else is logged on...) when you shut-down from the log-in
>>>screen.
>>>
>>>This is extreemly bothersome... Is there a security problem or is this a
>>>glich in the Windows XP Operating System?

=?Utf-8?B?SmF5IExlbWxleQ==?=

      10th Feb 2006

This is what I've been looking for - Thank you Bob.