Some question if I understand user properties correct

escamoteur

      9th Aug 2009
Hi,

user data that is stored as user properties in an item is stored IN this item independ if the same user property is defined in the
folder.

I need the additional definition of properties in the folder with the same names if I want to use filters and to display these data
in a view? Correct??

The user properties stay with the item even when I move it to a different folder. Correct?

If I send an item with user properties to someone who has not the same form installed he will not see the user defined field, but
the data is still in the item? Correct?

Is it enough to install and register the form region on an other computer to access this user data?

Best

Tom

Sue Mosher [MVP]

      9th Aug 2009
> user data that is stored as user properties in an item is stored IN this
> item independ if the same user property is defined in the folder.
> I need the additional definition of properties in the folder with the same
> names if I want to use filters and to display these data in a view?
> Correct??

Not quite. You need the same properties, not additional properties -- same
name, same data type. They just need to be defined in the folder, as well as
in the item.

> The user properties stay with the item even when I move it to a different
> folder. Correct?

Yes, that's correct.

> If I send an item with user properties to someone who has not the same
> form installed he will not see the user defined field, but the data is
> still in the item? Correct?

In many cases, not correct. See http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=907985,
the section on "Behavior changes in Outlook."

> Is it enough to install and register the form region on an other computer
> to access this user data?

No, registering a form region or publishing a custom form does not create
any folder-level property definitions.
--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP

escamoteur

      10th Aug 2009

"Sue Mosher [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> user data that is stored as user properties in an item is stored IN this item independ if the same user property is defined in
>> the folder.
>> I need the additional definition of properties in the folder with the same names if I want to use filters and to display these
>> data in a view? Correct??

> Not quite. You need the same properties, not additional properties -- same name, same data type. They just need to be defined in
> the folder, as well as in the item.

But they don't need to be defined in the folder to store the data inside the item, right? Only I I want to use the property in a
view of the folder?

>> The user properties stay with the item even when I move it to a different folder. Correct?

> Yes, that's correct.
>
>> If I send an item with user properties to someone who has not the same form installed he will not see the user defined field, but
>> the data is still in the item? Correct?

> In many cases, not correct. See http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=907985, the section on "Behavior changes in Outlook."

Thanks, I understand

>> Is it enough to install and register the form region on an other computer to access this user data?

> No, registering a form region or publishing a custom form does not create any folder-level property definitions.

No I meant if this is enough to access the custom properties though the custom form if the item was transferred to the other
machine.

Best

Tom

> --
> Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
> Author of Microsoft Outlook 2007 Programming:
> Jumpstart for Power Users and Administrators
> http://www.outlookcode.com/article.aspx?id=54

Sue Mosher [MVP]

      10th Aug 2009
Registering a form region or publishing a custom form does not create any
property definitions at the folder level. However, if all you want to do is
store custom properties in an item, not view them in a folder, you do not
need to create matching properties at the folder level. BUT ... if you
transfer that item to another computer, e.g. by sending it as a message, and
the properties are not present in the folder on the receiving system,
Outlook may ignore those properties with the resulting data loss, as
explained in the previously cited article at
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=907985.

You haven't said whether you're working in an Exchange environment or what
kind of items are involved. As the article explains, at least the Exchange
environment does matter.
--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP

news:(E-Mail Removed)...