Solitaire, Spider, Solitaire, Mine Sweep, Free Cell & Hearts

Mary

      28th Sep 2003
For some reason, all of these games are suddenly missing
from my system. I have gone to Add or Remove Programs,
Add/Remove Window Components/Games - All boxes for the
above games are checked and finish the install, yet, they
don't install. Can you please help me.

Andrew E

      29th Sep 2003
Try installing the XP cd,in the info page,select other
options,or windows components.Try reinstalling thru the
cd.

Chris H.

      29th Sep 2003
No need to reinstall, Mary, as these are system files. I'd suggest you
return to that section, remove the check marks, OK your way out and then
restart the computer. Then return, put your check marks back in and again
OK all the way out. The system should automatically restore those files for
you.
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP

"Mary" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:120e01c38612$3b4e8200$(E-Mail Removed)...
> For some reason, all of these games are suddenly missing
> from my system. I have gone to Add or Remove Programs,
> Add/Remove Window Components/Games - All boxes for the
> above games are checked and finish the install, yet, they
> don't install. Can you please help me.

Mary

      29th Sep 2003
I've done that! That doesn't work either!!

Mary

      29th Sep 2003
Chris - I've tried and they don't restore those files.

Chris H.

      29th Sep 2003
Mary, try this then:
(1) Go to Control Panel/Folder Options.
(2) <a> On the View tab, click on the radial next to Show hidden files and
folders; <b> Remove the check mark from the box left of "Hide Extensions for
known file types; and <c> Remove the check mark from the box left of "Hide
protected operating system files (Recommended). Then Click the Apply
button.
(3) Open Windows Explorer.
(4) Expand the C:\ drive so all your folders are available for viewing.
(5) Navigate to the C:\WINDOWS\system32 folder in the left pane and click on
it so you can see the files in the right pane.
(6) Look for mshearts.exe, spider.exe, sol.exe, freecell.exe and winmine.exe
to verify their existence on your hard drive.
(7) If those exist, then there may be a problem elsewhere and I would
suggest you run System File Checker. There is information in Help and
Support on SFC, but the basic thing is to go to Start/Run and type in "sfc
/scannow" without the quotes. This will check the system files to make sure
they are correct. There may be a damaged *.dll file which is preventing the
reinstall.
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP
Associate Expert

news:08e601c3861b$cbff21c0$(E-Mail Removed)...