PC Review

Solid State Hard Drives

sugar 'n spikes

18th Oct 2008
Anybody here using one or more yet?

They're still a bit pricy but still worth considering when you consider the speed and reliability factors over current mechanical devices.

And here's an article about how a pair of them work in RAID 0:

"Wth a bit of that "Friday on our minds" attitude adjustment going on in the lab, we decided to RAID a pair of these SSDs up to see what they could do. Blinding speed in RAID 0 mode?"

I think in the fairly near future we'll all be using solid state devices, they've been quite a long time coming. The reliability factor has to be the sweetener but there are other considerations such as no noise, less heat and ruggedness to consider.

But, as I said, at this moment in time, they're expensive.

Here's a link to OCUK's current OCZ range of SSD's No moving parts

I think for me a pair of 128Gb devices in a RAID 0 would be the combination I'd opt for but the price is a staggering 512.00 inc postage for what is effectively a single 250Gb hard drive. Still, a tempting proposition.

This setup - 2 x 150Gb WD VelociRaptors in a RAID 0, costs 284.00 inc postage to give a comparison.

It's probably inevitable SSD prices will fall, I just wonder how soon? For myself I'm eagerly looking forward to making the switch.

I would predict as a result mechanical hard disk drive prices dropping massively, the used HDD market becoming almost non-existent and within a few years perhaps mechanical HDD's being phased out altogether.

Don Van Vliet 1941 - 2010. And the acid gold bar swirled up and down, up and down.

Acruncher

18th Oct 2008
More like twenty years..

Some folk are still running P3's or Thunderbirds.

Cool and silent sounds great though if the price drops.

"There's a saying in Estonia that in order to see new things, you have to follow common paths - paths you know."
Games people play, you take it or you leave it
Things that they say, honor brite
If I promise you the moon and the stars, would you believe it
Games people play in the middle of the night
~Alan Parsons Project, Games People Play

sugar 'n spikes

18th Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abarbarian
More like twenty years..
I think more like five years max myself.

So what oddz you offering on a little wager?

Don Van Vliet 1941 - 2010. And the acid gold bar swirled up and down, up and down.

sugar 'n spikes

18th Oct 2008
I was just thinking about this.

Sure, people are using P3's and Thunderbirds, I'm still using a Socket A system myself.

Why? Simply because it's a good working machine and it does what I want it to do. If a computer meets a persons needs, why change it?

The majority of hard disk sales will be from new builds; ready made systems and replacement of faulty disks.

I think in the near future in each instance using SSD's will become more common.

So, really, the fact people are using old machines is irrelevant when it comes to sales.

Acruncher

18th Oct 2008
Price will be the deciding factor. 500 GB for around 40 at the moment. So if SSD comes down to that sort of price then folk will buy em.

Who can tell where new tech will lead us it's all in the lap of the gods.

"There's a saying in Estonia that in order to see new things, you have to follow common paths - paths you know."
Games people play, you take it or you leave it
Things that they say, honor brite
If I promise you the moon and the stars, would you believe it
Games people play in the middle of the night
~Alan Parsons Project, Games People Play

Banned

18th Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by floppybootstomp
I think more like five years max myself.

So what oddz you offering on a little wager?

I'll put 10 on it happening in less than 2 years...
As for Flopps comment "If a computer meets a persons needs, why change it?" very true, I belive the vast majority of people would do just fine with a P4 or something like that..With the power of computers today, how many of your average day to day users actually even use their computer to even half the capability..?

18th Oct 2008
I have been looking at these myself and tbh I would settle for even a small one as a boot drive and maybe another a little later on for media editing and and storage untill such a time it's ready to go to disk

IN the mean time, all other stuff like music and games could go on standard drives. I get frustrated at times the amount of time it take for my system to boot however if I bought a small drive and used that primarily as boot drive that would make a huge dfference on system boot times

Any thoughts?

To add i think personally 64gig for a standard a system drive is ample as long as you have other storage available. And 145 even though its still a bit steep campared to other standard rotating drives is very fair in comparison for access speeds and durability

Last edited by TriplexDread; 18th Oct 2008 at 08:58 PM..

Rocket Scientist

19th Oct 2008
SSDs will start to come down in price very quickly, I'm sure To the extent that I think I'd be surprised if we still bought hard disks with moving parts in 5 years time.

Just think how quick those boot times will be

4x4 Cruncher

19th Oct 2008
The prices will drop as more are made & filter into the market place.

19th Oct 2008
Too expensive at the moment. But the best thing I like about them (apart from speed) they are TOTALLY SILENT!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: