So I have the P4 1.6, 512 megs of DDR, geforce 4600ti, what more for gaming?

Fred

      1st Jul 2003
So I have the P4 1.6, 512 megs of DDR, geforce 4600ti, and a nice
soundblaster PCI something-or-rather.

What more can I do that will allow me to set everything to highest for
games (ie Medal of Honor)? Get a XEON?

Strontium

      1st Jul 2003
Have you considered the importance of the video card, in this scenario?

-

--
You, probably, thought you weren't going to die, today...SURPRISE!"

-The main character in Postal 2

JK

      2nd Jul 2003
He said that he has a ti4600 card, which is quite good. Of course a
faster processor and dual ddr motherboard would help. I suggest
an Athlon XP2600+ 333 and an nForce2 motherboard. One can
get the pair for around $200. An nForce2 motherboard works best
with two matching sticks of PC2700(or faster) ddr ram.

Strontium wrote:

> Have you considered the importance of the video card, in this scenario?
>
> -
> Fred stood up, at show-n-tell, and said:
>
> > So I have the P4 1.6, 512 megs of DDR, geforce 4600ti, and a nice
> > soundblaster PCI something-or-rather.
> >
> > What more can I do that will allow me to set everything to highest for
> > games (ie Medal of Honor)? Get a XEON?

> --
> You, probably, thought you weren't going to die, today...SURPRISE!"
>
> -The main character in Postal 2

Strontium

      2nd Jul 2003
I had cancelled this post, after realizing that. Thanks for reposting it.

-
JK stood up, at show-n-tell, and said:

-Snip-

DVR

      3rd Jul 2003
Thanks for the response. Would going with the Athlon only be for $$$
reasons? In my research I've seen lots of conclusions showing P4
outperforming Athlon 2600+. One example is on Tom's hardware where the 2600+
was benchmarked against P4 2.8 at
http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/200...ange_in_power:

"...the Athlon XP 2600+ could outperform the Intel P4/2533 in numerous
benchmark tests. Now, Intel sends its P4/2800 into the fray. In this
situation, the AMD processor takes the lead in only one of the benchmark
disciplines, namely, 3D rendering under Cinema 4D XL R7. In all other
categories with different applications, the P4 tops the Athlon XP."

Additionally, I already have two sticks of DDR 266 and would hate to spend
the $$$ on DDR 333. Would saving the cash and not buying DDR 333 make
purchasing a board with those specs (and the 2600+ chip) not worth it ?

Thanks again.

"JK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> He said that he has a ti4600 card, which is quite good. Of course a
> faster processor and dual ddr motherboard would help. I suggest
> an Athlon XP2600+ 333 and an nForce2 motherboard. One can
> get the pair for around $200. An nForce2 motherboard works best
> with two matching sticks of PC2700(or faster) ddr ram.
>
> Strontium wrote:
>
> > Have you considered the importance of the video card, in this scenario?
> >
> > -
> > Fred stood up, at show-n-tell, and said:
> >
> > > So I have the P4 1.6, 512 megs of DDR, geforce 4600ti, and a nice
> > > soundblaster PCI something-or-rather.
> > >
> > > What more can I do that will allow me to set everything to highest for
> > > games (ie Medal of Honor)? Get a XEON?

> > --
> > You, probably, thought you weren't going to die, today...SURPRISE!"
> >
> > -The main character in Postal 2

Strontium

      3rd Jul 2003
Just my 0.02...

That 800 FSB combined with the 400MHz memory bandwidth is kicking ass.
I've said 'bye bye' to AMD. I'm one of those that always hailed AMD.
This is the first box I've built, based on the wIntel solution. I gotta
say...I DO NOT MISS AMD. You wanna save cash, go AMD...good bang/buck.
You want a ****ing RIG, go wIntel. Your choice, dude. In the end, that's
what it comes down to. I gotta say, I'm still amazed by this performance
of the HT system. I feel like I could tell it to get me a beer, and it
would! But, then again, I'm a gamer...what are you gonna use this box
for?

PS - I just got 1360 3DMarks, in 3DMark03 with my crappy (not so) Asus GF3
Ti200 (250/550). I topped the list. Funny, that. I was expecting like
800...nope, I freaking blew everyone with my setup away....freaky.

YMMV!

-

http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/200...nclusion_chang
e_in_power:

> "...the Athlon XP 2600+ could outperform the Intel P4/2533 in numerous
> benchmark tests. Now, Intel sends its P4/2800 into the fray. In this
> situation, the AMD processor takes the lead in only one of the
> benchmark disciplines, namely, 3D rendering under Cinema 4D XL R7. In
> all other
> categories with different applications, the P4 tops the Athlon XP."
>
> Additionally, I already have two sticks of DDR 266 and would hate to
> spend
> the $$$ on DDR 333. Would saving the cash and not buying DDR 333 make
> purchasing a board with those specs (and the 2600+ chip) not worth it
> ?
>
> Thanks again.
>
> "JK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> He said that he has a ti4600 card, which is quite good. Of course a
>> faster processor and dual ddr motherboard would help. I suggest
>> an Athlon XP2600+ 333 and an nForce2 motherboard. One can
>> get the pair for around $200. An nForce2 motherboard works best
>> with two matching sticks of PC2700(or faster) ddr ram.
>>
>> Strontium wrote:
>>
>>> Have you considered the importance of the video card, in this
>>> scenario?
>>>
>>> -

--
Strontium

"I thought I'd lost you, somewhere. But you were, never, really
ever there at all. And, I want to get free..."

DVR

      3rd Jul 2003
I'll use it for gaming. So which P4 are you running 2.4 - 3.0? How much
RAM - dual DDR?

I'm downloading 3DMarks now to see where I'm at. Do you have freeware or
full version? Is there a difference?

I'll let you know what I get....

"Strontium" <abuse@.your.isp.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just my 0.02...
>
> That 800 FSB combined with the 400MHz memory bandwidth is kicking ass.
> I've said 'bye bye' to AMD. I'm one of those that always hailed AMD.
> This is the first box I've built, based on the wIntel solution. I gotta
> say...I DO NOT MISS AMD. You wanna save cash, go AMD...good bang/buck.
> You want a ****ing RIG, go wIntel. Your choice, dude. In the end, that's
> what it comes down to. I gotta say, I'm still amazed by this performance
> of the HT system. I feel like I could tell it to get me a beer, and it
> would! But, then again, I'm a gamer...what are you gonna use this box
> for?
>

> PS - I just got 1360 3DMarks, in 3DMark03 with my crappy (not so) Asus GF3
> Ti200 (250/550). I topped the list. Funny, that. I was expecting like
> 800...nope, I freaking blew everyone with my setup away....freaky.
>

> YMMV!
>
> -
> DVR stood up, at show-n-tell, and said:
>
> > Thanks for the response. Would going with the Athlon only be for $$$
> > reasons? In my research I've seen lots of conclusions showing P4
> > outperforming Athlon 2600+. One example is on Tom's hardware where
> > the 2600+
> > was benchmarked against P4 2.8 at
> >

> http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/200...nclusion_chang
> e_in_power:
> >
> > "...the Athlon XP 2600+ could outperform the Intel P4/2533 in numerous
> > benchmark tests. Now, Intel sends its P4/2800 into the fray. In this
> > situation, the AMD processor takes the lead in only one of the
> > benchmark disciplines, namely, 3D rendering under Cinema 4D XL R7. In
> > all other
> > categories with different applications, the P4 tops the Athlon XP."
> >
> > Additionally, I already have two sticks of DDR 266 and would hate to
> > spend
> > the $$$ on DDR 333. Would saving the cash and not buying DDR 333 make
> > purchasing a board with those specs (and the 2600+ chip) not worth it
> > ?
> >
> > Thanks again.
> >
> > "JK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> He said that he has a ti4600 card, which is quite good. Of course a
> >> faster processor and dual ddr motherboard would help. I suggest
> >> an Athlon XP2600+ 333 and an nForce2 motherboard. One can
> >> get the pair for around $200. An nForce2 motherboard works best
> >> with two matching sticks of PC2700(or faster) ddr ram.

> --
> Strontium
>
> "I thought I'd lost you, somewhere. But you were, never, really
> ever there at all. And, I want to get free..."

Strontium

      4th Jul 2003
I'm running P4 2.4C with PC3200 Samsung. Stock settings. It rocks my
balls off. Seriously. Gaming is this beast's total destiny. And, by
GOD, it's living upu to it.

DDR400 buddy boy Dual channel config.

The benchmark has no difference between registered/trial

However, don't run it if you have a slow (by my standards system. You,
really, need to use several tools to tell where you're at 1) performance
measured by YOU. Can you see a difference? This is the most important
benchmark, IMO 2) 3dmark2001SE to give you a baseline of your video card.
It will show you if you have a bottleneck, other than the video card, or
not. 3) gaming....no substitute, for this dude. I suggest the UT2003
demo. Only bad side to that, there is no place where ppl compare
scores...kinda sux to run a badass benchmark then be told you can't
compare it to others in a database lol.

Anyway, my box is rocking...with a shitty little GF3Ti200 OC'd to 250/550

I keep expecting to see smoke coming out of the back of my case. When I
get my ATI 9700, I'm gonna take all my smoke alarms out, in the house.
This Bitch is gonna rock (not that it already doesn't).

It's so freaking fast, that I am bored with the games! NIGHTMARE!

-
> [...]

>>> 4D XL R7. In all other
>>> categories with different applications, the P4 tops the Athlon XP."
>>>
>>> Additionally, I already have two sticks of DDR 266 and would hate to
>>> spend
>>> the $$$ on DDR 333. Would saving the cash and not buying DDR 333
>>> make purchasing a board with those specs (and the 2600+ chip) not
>>> worth it ?
>>>
>>> Thanks again.
>>>
>>> "JK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> --
>> Strontium
>>
>> "I thought I'd lost you, somewhere. But you were, never, really
>> ever there at all. And, I want to get free..."

--
Strontium

"I thought I'd lost you, somewhere. But you were, never, really
ever there at all. And, I want to get free..."

Depends what you mean by 'board'. Never get cocky, with WinBlows... From
a veteran.

Take it, for what it's worth 0.

-

DVR wrote:

> Thanks for the response. Would going with the Athlon only be for $$$
> reasons? In my research I've seen lots of conclusions showing P4
> outperforming Athlon 2600+.

> One example is on Tom's hardware where the 2600+

Please don't make me laugh. There are other websites.

http://www.hothardware.com/hh_files/CCAM/amd_axp_2600(3).shtml
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu...onxp-3000.html
http://www.lostcircuits.com/