=?Utf-8?B?Um9zcyBNaWxuZQ==?=

      30th Sep 2005
I have got a Windows XP Home Editions PC with all of the updates, and I am
getting the following error message when windows start:
smoni create error # 10050

can anyone help with this problem?

Malke

      30th Sep 2005
Ross Milne wrote:

> I have got a Windows XP Home Editions PC with all of the updates, and
> I am getting the following error message when windows start:
> smoni create error # 10050
>

> can anyone help with this problem?

Googling for that error message wasn't productive. Can you get into
Windows after receiving the error message? If so:

1. Make sure your computer is virus and malware-free:

2. If the computer is already clean, use the System Configuration Tool
to do clean-boot troubleshooting since something is apparently set to
start with Windows and failing:
Clean Boot - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=310353
and How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP -
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310560

If you aren't able to get into Windows in Regular Mode, what about Safe
Mode?

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

=?Utf-8?B?Um9zcyBNaWxuZQ==?=

      4th Oct 2005
I have tryed running msconfig, after the system has been restarted, and when
the msconfig box opens back up I got 2 green box's inside the check box of
Process Win.ini and ad Startup Items check box's.

Any ideas from this what the problem can be?

Ross

"Malke" wrote:

> Ross Milne wrote:
>
> > I have got a Windows XP Home Editions PC with all of the updates, and
> > I am getting the following error message when windows start:
> > smoni create error # 10050
> >

> > can anyone help with this problem?

> Googling for that error message wasn't productive. Can you get into
> Windows after receiving the error message? If so:
>
> 1. Make sure your computer is virus and malware-free:
>
> 2. If the computer is already clean, use the System Configuration Tool
> to do clean-boot troubleshooting since something is apparently set to
> start with Windows and failing:
> Clean Boot - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=310353
> and How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP -
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310560
>
> If you aren't able to get into Windows in Regular Mode, what about Safe
> Mode?
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Malke

      4th Oct 2005
Ross Milne wrote:

> I have tryed running msconfig, after the system has been restarted,
> and when the msconfig box opens back up I got 2 green box's inside the
> check box of Process Win.ini and ad Startup Items check box's.
>
> Any ideas from this what the problem can be?

1. What is the virus/malware status of the computer?
2. If the computer is clean, can you run msconfig in Safe Mode and do
clean-boot troubleshooting?
3. What changed between the time things worked and the time they didn't?

>> Ross Milne wrote:
>>
>> > I have got a Windows XP Home Editions PC with all of the updates,
>> > and I am getting the following error message when windows start:
>> > smoni create error # 10050

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

=?Utf-8?B?Um9zcyBNaWxuZQ==?=

      4th Oct 2005
> 1. What is the virus/malware status of the computer?
Run MacAffee Anti Virus - No Virus's Reported
Run Pandasof Online Virus Scanner - No viruses/spyware/malwear Reported
Run Microsoft AniSpyware - spyware removed

> 2. If the computer is clean, can you run msconfig in Safe Mode and do
> clean-boot troubleshooting?

Will try this next time I am at the computer.

> 3. What changed between the time things worked and the time they didn't?

Nothing to my knowledge has been changed.

Malke

      4th Oct 2005
Ross Milne wrote:

>> 1. What is the virus/malware status of the computer?

> Run MacAffee Anti Virus - No Virus's Reported
> Run Pandasof Online Virus Scanner - No viruses/spyware/malwear
> Reported Run Microsoft AniSpyware - spyware removed
>
>> 2. If the computer is clean, can you run msconfig in Safe Mode and do
>> clean-boot troubleshooting?

> Will try this next time I am at the computer.
>
>> 3. What changed between the time things worked and the time they
>> didn't?

> Nothing to my knowledge has been changed.

Since you say you found some malware with MSAS, also run Ad-aware and
Spybot Search & Destroy. They are free. Install the programs, update
them, and run scans in Safe Mode. All scans for malware should be run
in Safe Mode. After doing this, test to see if the smoni error is gone.
If so, you're done. If not, do clean-boot troubleshooting by running
msconfig in Safe Mode.

www.safer-networking.org - Spybot Search & Destroy
www.lavasoftusa.com - Ad-aware

Malke