SMART status of replacement hdd: SP1614N

dt

      20th Dec 2004
I just receive the second warranty claim on my SP1614N. The drive failed
some two months ago. The first replacement showed the SMART status 'bad' on
boot up so I re-returned it to the retailer. The second replacement shows
the SMART fitness level of the drive at 64%. I am using speedfan for these
checks. The other drives in my system show a fitness rating of 100%. Is this
a problem? Do I need to be concerned about placing critical files on this
drive?

Thanks,

Demetrio

S.Heenan

      21st Dec 2004
dt wrote:
> I just receive the second warranty claim on my SP1614N. The drive
> failed some two months ago. The first replacement showed the SMART
> status 'bad' on boot up so I re-returned it to the retailer. The
> second replacement shows the SMART fitness level of the drive at 64%.
> I am using speedfan for these checks. The other drives in my system
> show a fitness rating of 100%. Is this a problem? Do I need to be
> concerned about placing critical files on this drive?

Make frequent backups to CD-R, DVD-R, etc, or risk losing data for good.
It's not a matter of if the drive will fail, it's a matter of /when/.

dt

      21st Dec 2004
Thanks for your reply.

Are you saying this in the general sense of all hdds or in this particular
case since the fitness level is not 100%. I'm trying to decide whether i
should take this second replacement back to the retailer.

"S.Heenan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> dt wrote:
>> I just receive the second warranty claim on my SP1614N. The drive
>> failed some two months ago. The first replacement showed the SMART
>> status 'bad' on boot up so I re-returned it to the retailer. The
>> second replacement shows the SMART fitness level of the drive at 64%.
>> I am using speedfan for these checks. The other drives in my system
>> show a fitness rating of 100%. Is this a problem? Do I need to be
>> concerned about placing critical files on this drive?

> Make frequent backups to CD-R, DVD-R, etc, or risk losing data for good.
> It's not a matter of if the drive will fail, it's a matter of /when/.

S.Heenan

      22nd Dec 2004
dt wrote:
> "S.Heenan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> dt wrote:
>>> I just receive the second warranty claim on my SP1614N. The drive
>>> failed some two months ago. The first replacement showed the SMART
>>> status 'bad' on boot up so I re-returned it to the retailer. The
>>> second replacement shows the SMART fitness level of the drive at
>>> 64%. I am using speedfan for these checks. The other drives in my
>>> system show a fitness rating of 100%. Is this a problem? Do I need
>>> to be concerned about placing critical files on this drive?

>> Make frequent backups to CD-R, DVD-R, etc, or risk losing data for
>> good. It's not a matter of if the drive will fail, it's a matter of
>> /when/.

> Thanks for your reply.
>
> Are you saying this in the general sense of all hdds or in this
> particular case since the fitness level is not 100%. I'm trying to
> decide whether i should take this second replacement back to the
> retailer.

In the general sense.
Hard drives are electro-mechanical devices with a much higher rate of
failure than pure solid state devices. SMART readings aside, it's only
prudent to adopt the posture "it will fail". Create backups on a regular and
frequent basis.

I would return the drive if Samsung will allow you to do so. I would also
make a fuss and insist upon a new replacement.