smart phone dialing area code for local calls

=?Utf-8?B?Ym9i?=

      16th Apr 2005
I pull my contacts from Outlook 2003 which forces the area code into each
phone number. My Smart Phone dials the area code for local calls and gets an
error. This makes the contacts unusable for anything other than referencing
the data. Anyone have the same issue or solution?

Regards,

Bob

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

      17th Apr 2005
What cell service and phone do you use? Mine recommends always entering the
area code so the number is correct if the call is off a tower in another
area code.

If your phone is in a different area code and outlook enters the one it's
set up for, you'll need to add the correct area code to each number in
outlook.

Also, you might want to try the alt.cellular group for your phone
manufacturer or cell provider - or visit http://howardforums.com/ - both are
more likely to have more users of the phone model who have experienced (and
solved) the problem.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

"bob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I pull my contacts from Outlook 2003 which forces the area code into each
> phone number. My Smart Phone dials the area code for local calls and gets
> an
> error. This makes the contacts unusable for anything other than
> referencing
> the data. Anyone have the same issue or solution?
>
> Regards,
>
> Bob

=?Utf-8?B?Ym9i?=

      17th Apr 2005
Thanks Diane,

The original issue was my contacts having the country code forced during a
local call w/ the area code omitted (I hadn't added any area codes for my
local contacts). The call was erring out w/ just the country code and local
number. I didn't realize the I could dial the area code for a local call and
the service would ignore it. I applied area code rules to my contacts and
I'm good to go.

Cingular and the MPX220. I'm considering returning the phone; lots of
functions but non of them work well.

Thanks for the help.

Bob