Sluggish laptop

Herb

      7th Jan 2006
I have a Windows XP laptop with a 2.4 GHz Pentium 4 processor and 512 MB
of RAM (see
http://www.mobile-support.net/produc...id=13&size=min).

Compared with my Windows 2000 PC with similar spec the laptop 'feels'
considerably more sluggish - in fact when it has been running for a
while sometimes things get so bad that it almost grinds to a halt when I
have several applications running simultaneously.

I realise that Windows XP requires more resources than Windows 2000, and
I seem to remember being told once that laptops in general require more
resources than PCs, but I wonder if there is anything I can do to
improve the situation.

Thank you.

--
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk

Herb

      7th Jan 2006
On 07.01.2006 16:22 UK Time, doodle wrote:
> Herb Wrote:
>
>>I have a Windows XP laptop with a 2.4 GHz Pentium 4 processor and 512
>>MB
>>of RAM (see
>>http://tinyurl.com/da3ur).
>>
>>Compared with my Windows 2000 PC with similar spec the laptop 'feels'
>>considerably more sluggish - in fact when it has been running for a
>>while sometimes things get so bad that it almost grinds to a halt when
>>have several applications running simultaneously.
>>
>>I realise that Windows XP requires more resources than Windows 2000,
>>and
>>I seem to remember being told once that laptops in general require
>>more
>>resources than PCs, but I wonder if there is anything I can do to
>>improve the situation.
>>
>>Thank you.
>>
>>--
>>Herbert Eppel
>>www.HETranslation.co.uk

> The PC shouldnt be that slow since u have 512 RAM. Have you installed
> any programs lately which might be starting at boot? Try keeping only
> the essential stuff to load during startup. Examine ur HDD for trash,
> run disk cleanup and chkdsk, Ananlyze for fragmentation and defrag. Are
> u sure its free from nasties?

Hi,

just to clarify - it's my Windows XP laptop that is sluggish (my Windows
2000 PC is fine).

I have quite a lot of applications load it at startup, and I realise
this slows down the boot process, but I don't mind that.

The problem is that general performance appears to decrease
exponentially during the course of a working day - I can bring it back
to normal by rebooting, but it is a bit of a nuisance.

I regularly analyze and defragment my hard disk using PerfectDisk 7. i
also regularly check for "nasties", and I'm pretty sure that there
aren't any.

Perhaps the only things in your list I haven't done in a while is a
proper disk cleanup and chkdsk.

Is there anything else I can/should try?

--
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk

doodle