Slow as a snail helpppppppp

Danielle

      4th Nov 2003
I have just upgraded to windows xp pro from windows me,
and now everything is soooooooo slow. From start up to
opening a program, not to mention loosing driver files for
my mouse and cd burner which have now been taken over by
xp drivers that dont work properly helpppppppppp

John A

      4th Nov 2003
Oh dear!

What is speed and RAM size of your computer?

Re drivers, go to manufacturer's web sites and download latest XP
drivers, if they exist.

John A

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 10:46:22 -0800, "Danielle"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have just upgraded to windows xp pro from windows me,
>and now everything is soooooooo slow. From start up to
>opening a program, not to mention loosing driver files for
>my mouse and cd burner which have now been taken over by
>xp drivers that dont work properly helpppppppppp

Box134

      4th Nov 2003
Oh sweetie, you'll have to provide more details than than. How much memory
do you have and what processor do you have? Maybe you just don't have enough
horsepower to run XP. It doesn't take a lot, but if you haven't upgraded
your hardware for a while, it could be a factor. (My laptop has just 90 MB
memory and it grinds quite a while on start-up.)

Another thing to check is for running programs. Having too many background
applications starting up can slow your boot.

"Danielle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:032501c3a303$f12ffff0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have just upgraded to windows xp pro from windows me,
> and now everything is soooooooo slow. From start up to
> opening a program, not to mention loosing driver files for
> my mouse and cd burner which have now been taken over by
> xp drivers that dont work properly helpppppppppp

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

      4th Nov 2003
Danielle;
The original drivers were not compatible with Windows XP.
Did you check to be sure the computer is ready for Windows XP? If
not, check now, #3 Upgrade Advisor:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/h...ng/default.asp

Run an updated virus scan.
Or Scan for Viruses online:
http://security.symantec.com/ssc/hom...ZTYMWPAZTJWUFJ
Run Disk Cleanup checking all boxes except "Compress old files"
(Windows XP)
Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Disk Clean-up
Run Defrag.
Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Disk Defragmenter
If you have file sharing software such as Kazaa, disable it.
Check this link:
http://www.aumha.org/a/noads.php
Run Ad-Aware (free version) or Spybot to check for spyware:
http://www.lavasoft.de/ (Update if you already have it)
Or
http://spybot.eon.net.au/ (Update if you already have it)
This may apply if you recently installed Windows XP Service Pack 1:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=815411

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
An easier way to read newsgroup messages:

"Danielle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:032501c3a303$f12ffff0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have just upgraded to windows xp pro from windows me,
> and now everything is soooooooo slow. From start up to
> opening a program, not to mention loosing driver files for
> my mouse and cd burner which have now been taken over by
> xp drivers that dont work properly helpppppppppp

      5th Nov 2003

Bruce Chambers

      6th Nov 2003
Greetings --

Have you made sure that your PC's hardware components are capable
of supporting WinXP? This information will be found at the PC's
manufacturer's web site, and on Microsoft's Hardware Compatibility
List: (http://www.microsoft.com/hcl/default.asp) Additionally, run
Microsoft WinXP Upgrade Advisor to see if you have any incompatible
hardware components or applications.

You should, before proceeding, take a few minutes to ensure that
there are WinXP device drivers available for all of the machine's
components. There may not be, if the PC was specifically designed for
Win98. Also bear in mind that PCs designed for and sold with Win9x/Me
very often do not meet WinXP's much more stringent hardware quality
requirements. This is particularly true of many models in Compaq's
consumer-class Presario product line or HP's consumer-class Pavilion
product line. WinXP, like WinNT and Win2K before it, is quite
sensitive to borderline defective hardware (particularly motherboards,
RAM and hard drives) that will still support Win9x.

HOW TO Prepare to Upgrade Win98 or WinMe

HOW TO Troubleshoot Windows XP Problems During Installation When You
Upgrade from Windows 98 or Windows Me
http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;q310064

Bruce Chambers

--