Slow response opening emails Outlook 2003

ligerdynomite

      25th Mar 2008
Hello,
I have a user when he opens emails they take anywhere from 10 to 30 seconds
to open. We are using Exchange 2003 with Outlook 2003.
I have unchecked all of the com add-ins.
Recreated the Outlook Profile.
OST file is under 1 GB
Running a defrag (I have done this before but didn't seem to help)

Can anyone advise me in what else I should be looking for?

--
Thank You
Matt

Emily Lin

      26th Mar 2008
Hi Matt,

Perform the steps below to see if it works.

# 1: Start Outlook in Safe Mode
======
1. Quit Outlook. Click Start menu, and click Run.
2. In the Open box, type: "Outlook /safe" (without the quotation marks).
Notes: There is a space character between Outlook and the forward slash (/).
3. Click OK.
4. Open an email. What is the result?

If it works fine, perform the following steps to fix the issue.

#2 check addin registry keys
============
Exit Outlook.
Backup the registry then remove any outlook addin SUBkeys which are at the following locations:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins\
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins
Start outlook to test the issue.

If the issue persists, go to next step.

#3 Rename the Cache Files
======
Search for the following four files and rename them by changing the file extension from ".dat" to ".old". These four files are temporary
cache files that Outlook 2003 loads on startup. (Be sure to check the "Search hidden files and folders" box under "More advanced
options")

outcmd.dat
extend.dat
frmcache.dat
views.dat

Generally the files can be located in the folder C:\Documents and Settings\<LogName>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft
\Outlook\. Some of them may not exist, please ignore it.

Note: The folder is hidden by default. Please use the following method to show it:

1. From the Start menu, go to Settings-->Control Panel-->Folder Options.
2. Go to View tab and select "Show hidden files and folders". The hidden folder will be shown then.
3. Start Outlook to see if the problem is resolved.

If the issue persists, go to next step.

#4 check nopreview
==========
Exit Outlook.
Click Start > Run > type "outlook /nopreview" (without the quotation marks). Click OK.
If it works fine, the issue is mostly caused by a corrupted message in the inbox folder. If the issue persists, let me know.

If anything is unclear or if you have any other concerns, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Regards,

Emily Lin

Microsoft Online Partner Support
When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your issue.

--------------------
>From: =?Utf-8?B?bGlnZXJkeW5vbWl0ZQ==?= <(E-Mail Removed)>
>Subject: Slow response opening emails Outlook 2003
>Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 09:36:01 -0700
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook.general
>
>Hello,
>I have a user when he opens emails they take anywhere from 10 to 30 seconds
>to open. We are using Exchange 2003 with Outlook 2003.
>I have unchecked all of the com add-ins.
>Recreated the Outlook Profile.
>OST file is under 1 GB
>Running a defrag (I have done this before but didn't seem to help)
>

>Can anyone advise me in what else I should be looking for?
>

>--
>Thank You
>Matt

Emily Lin

      28th Mar 2008
Hi Matt,

I am writing as a courtesy to follow-up on this issue. Do you have any problem at this time? If so, please let me know at your earliest
convenience. I am waiting for your reply.

By the way, I will be OOF during Mar. 31 - Apr. 4. My backup engineer will reply to you if you post back. Thanks.

Sincerely,

Emily Lin,
Microsoft Online Partner Support

When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from this issue.