Slow performance of preview pane

Steve Follett

      9th Sep 2003
I am wondering if anyone has seen this and has a fix?
When using Outlook with the preview pane turned on, you
select a new email and the email is very slow to display.
As well if you double-click an email to open it is very
slow in responding and finally opening. When a new
desktop profile is created, the syptom seems to clear up,
but will reappear again. Problem might be tied to size of
the user profile or something contained within it. It
seems as I get all of my settings back configured (email,
favorites, desktops settings, etc.) that the problem re-
appears.

I am using POP3 email with a local .PST file for delivery
of email.

Ideas anyone?

Nikki

      10th Sep 2003
What version of Outlook?

--
Nikki Peterson [MVP - Outlook]

"Steve Follett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:54c701c376e0$1c1d9b00$(E-Mail Removed)...
I am wondering if anyone has seen this and has a fix?
When using Outlook with the preview pane turned on, you
select a new email and the email is very slow to display.
As well if you double-click an email to open it is very
slow in responding and finally opening. When a new
desktop profile is created, the syptom seems to clear up,
but will reappear again. Problem might be tied to size of
the user profile or something contained within it. It
seems as I get all of my settings back configured (email,
favorites, desktops settings, etc.) that the problem re-
appears.

I am using POP3 email with a local .PST file for delivery
of email.

Ideas anyone?

Diane

      10th Sep 2003
Hi, I have exactly the same problem! I have recently
upgraded from ME to XP and installed Norton Antivirus and
thought there could be a connection.

If you here of a fix for this, I would really appreciate
if you could forward on the info. I have posted this
issue on another site and will email you ifI here of a
fix. Fingers crossed and good luck.

Kind Regards

Diane

Diane

      10th Sep 2003
I'm using Outlook 2002

Diane

      10th Sep 2003
I found a solution. I hope it works for you.

Go to: Tools>Options>Others and then turn off Instant
Messaging.

Then close Outlook and when you open it up again your
email should open up quickly and preview pane will work
as normal again.

Good Luck

Diane

New Member

      24th Jun 2005
i am having a problem too with outlook 2003. my emails open very slowly particularly when i have one mail opened and wants to switch to another. when i click the next on the preview pane it takes nearly a munite to open.if anyone has a solution please let me know.

beth chika

New Member

      24th May 2006
I'm having same problem with Outlook 2003-- veeeeeery slow to change the preview pane, if at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I realize this thread was started in 2003!

New Member

      30th May 2007
I, too, realize this is an aged thread, but I just started having the same problem.

I tried the tools->options->others->I.M. solution suggested in one of these posts, but didn't find any i.m. options in the others tabs.

What works for me on a temporary basis is to go to "help", then use "detect and repair", which I think basically reloads the whole Office software. It takes a few minutes, but makes the problem go away. Unfortunately, it's not a permanent fix, and has to be re-done every time I open Outlook. But better than nothing. Any further ideas would be welcome.

New Member

      7th Sep 2010
We had this same problem with 1 user at work today.

Turns out it was WebEx Connect that was the problem.

To fix it we opened Webex Connect SETTINGS and went to the MS OUTLOOK tab.

There we unticked the boxes and applied the settings.

We restarted outlook and it worked nicely.

To check if it is Webex Connect that cause this, just close the webex program and check if reading
messages has speeded up.

Best reg.

Toffypops
Norway