slow operation

herbzee

      21st Feb 2006
Boot up is OK; BUT, when I launch a program it takes forever to load.
After long waits-using it-and closing it out, the same happens with
other programs. After a few uses of each and waiting forever, things
seem to speed up. After a couple of hours, the system seems to operate
normally. Running XP Pro SP2
ANY CLUES???

=?Utf-8?B?bmFzcw==?=

      21st Feb 2006
Hi Herb,
How many RAM you Have on your PC and Disk Space,if you have AV installed may
be this the answer the AV take time to go through the Settings and Usage of
the CPU,Open your Desk Manager and see which Processors use the CPU Most and
how much,Scan for AdWare/Spware and have a loook at your Event Viewer for any
Errors
Hope this help
please write back here
nass

"herbzee" wrote:

> Boot up is OK; BUT, when I launch a program it takes forever to load.
> After long waits-using it-and closing it out, the same happens with
> other programs. After a few uses of each and waiting forever, things
> seem to speed up. After a couple of hours, the system seems to operate
> normally. Running XP Pro SP2
> ANY CLUES???

xy2z

      21st Feb 2006

herbzee Wrote:
> Boot up is OK; BUT, when I launch a program it takes forever to load.
> After long waits-using it-and closing it out, the same happens with
> other programs. After a few uses of each and waiting forever, things
> seem to speed up. After a couple of hours, the system seems to operate
> normally. Running XP Pro SP2
> ANY CLUES???

Check your HDD free space, run a disk cleanup and defragment to improve
program response times. Adding more Memory might help. Also limit
programs loading during startup.

xy2z

herbzee

      23rd Feb 2006
Hi Nass,
Thanx for the input. What I did based on your reply was defrag thoroly
2X and then do a start >run > MSConfig > Start Up, and UN check ALL the
boxes.

VOILA!!!!!!! Thing are speedy again. I'll recheck the boxes as I need them.

BTW, I have 512 ram AV installed and plenty of disk space. I was told to
get 1gb of ram, but this seems fast enuff. Particularly for an 86 year
old. Thanx again for Ur interest.

cheers-Herb.