SLOW network upgrading from win98 to XP

Jed Savage

      14th Sep 2004
We have a small network of about 10 machines and 2 networked printers.
We've been running everything on windows 98 and recently decided to
upgrade to XP. The upgrade in VIA completely new machines with XP
installed rather than converting the old machines to XP. One thing
I've noticed is that browsing or opening files over the netwpork is
DEAD SLOW compaired to WIN98. I've checked on microsofts support page
and can't see any information regarding this. I've also found a few
"tips" sites and tried the techniques there (registry edits, etc.)
Still, the network browsing and opening takes between 1-2 minutes to
just get the file list up. Does anyone know what could be causing
this? I do still have 2 98 computers on the network but I took those
off to see if mixed operating systems could be the problem. Nothing
improved. I was assuming that going to XP would be faster if anything
so I'm very surprised/disappointed. I'd like to keep XP, but if I
can't resolve this problem I'm afraid the boss will just want to
revert back to 98 on everything. Can anyone give me some help on
this? Or pointers on how to diagnose/identify the problem? Thank you
in advance!

Robert L [MS-MVP]

      14th Sep 2004
it could be DNS issue or master browser issue. to check the status of the
dns, us nslookup; to check the status of the master browser, us browstat.

--
For more and other information, go to http://www.ChicagoTech.net

Don't send e-mail or reply to me except you need consulting services.
Posting on MS newsgroup will benefit all readers and you may get more help.

Robert Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN, Anti-Virus, Tips & Troubleshooting on
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

news:(E-Mail Removed)...