Sleeve bearing fans

Adrian

      31st Jul 2003
Do sleeve bearing fans have that much of a shorter life compared to
ball bearing fans? I'm referring to case fans. I like the low dBa's
of the Papst fans, but I found out they are sleeve bearing, which I
believe doesn't last as long as single or double ball bearing
equivalents.

~ Adrian ~

---
"I have often regretted my speech, never my silence."
Xenocrates (396-314 B.C.)

Richard Dower

      31st Jul 2003

"Adrian" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:QSbWa.116824$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Do sleeve bearing fans have that much of a shorter life compared to
> ball bearing fans? I'm referring to case fans. I like the low dBa's
> of the Papst fans, but I found out they are sleeve bearing, which I
> believe doesn't last as long as single or double ball bearing
> equivalents.

Double ball bearing are of higher quality and longer life.

ric

      31st Jul 2003
Adrian wrote:

> Do sleeve bearing fans have that much of a shorter life compared to
> ball bearing fans? I'm referring to case fans. I like the low dBa's
> of the Papst fans, but I found out they are sleeve bearing, which I
> believe doesn't last as long as single or double ball bearing
> equivalents.

Not all sleeve bearings are created equal. Papst utilizes SINTEC sleeve
bearings in some of their fans, with MTBFs near that of ball bearings.

Read http://www.ebm.com/pdfs/motor.pdf

Sleeve bearing fans reliability also depends if they are input or exhaust
fans. Heat is the enemy of sleeve bearings, and they survive longer in a
25 degree C environment rather than a higher temperature (exhaust) one.

Adrian

      31st Jul 2003
Do you know anywhere in the US that sells these fans? Especially in
120x120x38 (or x32) size? All I can find are places in Europe.

Thanks.

~ Adrian ~

---
"I have often regretted my speech, never my silence."
Xenocrates (396-314 B.C.)

Adrian

      1st Aug 2003
Thanks for the information.

Is Papst a good make? Problem is, I can't seem to find them here in
the U.S. I'd like to think Papst is a good make, being German. I
would need one in 120x38mm form.

~ Adrian ~

---
"I have often regretted my speech, never my silence."
Xenocrates (396-314 B.C.)

AJ

      1st Aug 2003

>Zalman's case fans are sleeve bearing too.

I have several and like them alot. Move very high amounts of air at
way lower dB than bearing fans. Only draw back, you can never place a
sleeve bearing fan horizontal or you have almost instant bearing
failure.
When your PC gives a little they give alot:
http://tinyurl.com/hhez

Your Name

      2nd Aug 2003

http://www.directron.com/120mmfans.html