Sleep often crashes Vista (Dell D630, 64-bit Ultimate)

lex3001

      21st Jul 2008
I just recently moved from a D610 to a D630 and decided to go Vista 64-bit.

When put the computer into Sleep mode (Hybrid Sleep is turned off by the
way) here is what happens:

1. Screen goes blank immediately
2. Hard drive activity for a minute or so
3. Sometimes it goes into sleep mode but usually it just turns off

In the case when it just turns off, which is most of the time, then I when I
turn it back on it prompts to boot into Safe mode if I want to, indicating
windows didn't shut down properly.

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this and figure out what might be causing
it and how to fix it?

Karl Snooks

      21st Jul 2008
lex,

Following tutorial may be of assistance:
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/63...-problems.html

In that tutorial you will also find links to other topics which may be
relevant to your problem.

Karl

"lex3001" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I just recently moved from a D610 to a D630 and decided to go Vista 64-bit.
>
> When put the computer into Sleep mode (Hybrid Sleep is turned off by the
> way) here is what happens:
>
> 1. Screen goes blank immediately
> 2. Hard drive activity for a minute or so
> 3. Sometimes it goes into sleep mode but usually it just turns off
>
> In the case when it just turns off, which is most of the time, then I when
> turn it back on it prompts to boot into Safe mode if I want to, indicating
> windows didn't shut down properly.
>
> Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this and figure out what might be causing
> it and how to fix it?

mikeyhsd

      21st Jul 2008
check the event logs for a starter.

(E-Mail Removed)

"lex3001" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
I just recently moved from a D610 to a D630 and decided to go Vista 64-bit.

When put the computer into Sleep mode (Hybrid Sleep is turned off by the
way) here is what happens:

1. Screen goes blank immediately
2. Hard drive activity for a minute or so
3. Sometimes it goes into sleep mode but usually it just turns off

In the case when it just turns off, which is most of the time, then I when I
turn it back on it prompts to boot into Safe mode if I want to, indicating
windows didn't shut down properly.

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this and figure out what might be causing
it and how to fix it?

lex3001

      22nd Jul 2008
I forgot to mention I already checked the event logs. I don't see anything in
there indicating a problem, unfortunately.