Sisela 0.2 - A 1.44MB boot disk for routers

Gordon Darling

      31st Aug 2003
Subject: Sisela 0.2 - A 1.44MB boot disk for routers
with ISA/PCI/PCMCIA/Cardbus and wireless support.
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 17:55:18 +0000 (UTC)

About:
Sisela is a 1.44MB Linux-based boot disk that allows you to turn any spare
PC system into a router, firewall, wireless access point, or any
combination of these functions. It supports ISA, PCI, PCMCIA, and CardBus
network cards, including wireless adapters. It provides a DHCP
client/server, remote access through SSH2, DNS caching/forwarding, and
iptables-based firewalling.

Changes:
An SSH2 server and DNS caching/forwarding server were added. Practically
every ISA/PCI/PCMCIA/CardBus network driver in Linux 2.4.22 is now
included and autodetected. The build process is now automated, and a
source package is available.

Release focus: Major feature enhancements
License: GNU General Public License (GPL)
Project URL: http://freshmeat.net/projects/sisela/

Regards
Gordon

GamePlayer

      1st Sep 2003
> Sisela is a 1.44MB Linux-based boot disk that allows you to turn any
> spare PC system into a router, firewall, wireless access point, or any
> combination of these functions. It supports ISA, PCI, PCMCIA, and
> CardBus network cards, including wireless adapters. It provides a DHCP
> client/server, remote access through SSH2, DNS caching/forwarding, and
> iptables-based firewalling.

Does this (or any other floppyfw you know of) support the Speedtouch ADSL
modems *and* vpn?
I was looking at LEAF for a vpn/fw/router box, but couldn't convince my
speedtouch to work with it...

JanC

      2nd Sep 2003
GamePlayer <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef:

> Does this (or any other floppyfw you know of) support the Speedtouch ADSL
> modems *and* vpn?

VPN-type applications require port forwarding to work from after a NAT
router.

--
JanC

Mark Blain

      3rd Sep 2003
On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 14:14:32 +0000 (UTC), Gordon Darling
<gordondarling@no*spam.lycos.co.uk> wrote:

>...Sisela is a 1.44MB Linux-based boot disk that allows you to turn any spare
>PC system into a router, firewall, wireless access point, or any
>combination of these functions...

Interesting. Sounds similar to FreeSCO. See also
http://bengross.com/smallunix.html
http://lwn.net/Distributions/

and the ever-popular
<http://dmoz.org/Computers/Software/Operating_Systems/Linux/Distributions/>

GamePlayer

      3rd Sep 2003
JanC <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> GamePlayer <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef:
>
>> Does this (or any other floppyfw you know of) support the Speedtouch
>> ADSL modems *and* vpn?

> VPN-type applications require port forwarding to work from after a NAT
> router.

well, yes - there are rules available for iptables/ipchains to
autoconfigure that - but what I meant was either freeswan in the standard
kernel or a userland vpn module actually on the router (so that you can
link two sites together transparently)