Shutdown quick-key

=?Utf-8?B?TW91bnRfRHJlYW1lcg==?=

      10th Aug 2007
I am so used to tapping the Windows key, the U twice to shutdown previous
WinXP machines.
This does not work in Vista because of the search thingie.

Is there a new Window shortcut for shutting down that does not need the mouse?

Andy [YaYa]

      10th Aug 2007
"Mount_Dreamer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am so used to tapping the Windows key, the U twice to shutdown previous
> WinXP machines.
> This does not work in Vista because of the search thingie.
>
> Is there a new Window shortcut for shutting down that does not need the
> mouse?

Try pushing the power button on your case (just 1 press vs. 3, you do the
math), the "Power Options" control panel applet lets you specify what the
power button does (shut down, sleep, hibernate, etc).

Dave Cox

      10th Aug 2007
=?Utf-8?B?TW91bnRfRHJlYW1lcg==?=
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I am so used to tapping the Windows key, the U twice to shutdown
> previous WinXP machines.
> This does not work in Vista because of the search thingie.
>
> Is there a new Window shortcut for shutting down that does not
> need the mouse?

At the destop ALT+f4 then ENTER

--
The most reliable time to upgrade to a new Operating System is at the
end of its life cycle.

Dave

=?Utf-8?B?TW91bnRfRHJlYW1lcg==?=

      11th Aug 2007
That closes the explorer or IE window, it does not shutdown the computer.

"Dave Cox" wrote:

> =?Utf-8?B?TW91bnRfRHJlYW1lcg==?=
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > I am so used to tapping the Windows key, the U twice to shutdown
> > previous WinXP machines.
> > This does not work in Vista because of the search thingie.
> >
> > Is there a new Window shortcut for shutting down that does not
> > need the mouse?

> At the destop ALT+f4 then ENTER
>

> --
> The most reliable time to upgrade to a new Operating System is at the
> end of its life cycle.
>
> Dave

=?Utf-8?B?TW91bnRfRHJlYW1lcg==?=

      11th Aug 2007
You have an idea, but pressing the power button to shutdown is an "Oh ****"
moment, not something to be encouraged for normal us.

It is at least worth considering.
Thanks!

"Andy [YaYa]" wrote:

> "Mount_Dreamer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I am so used to tapping the Windows key, the U twice to shutdown previous
> > WinXP machines.
> > This does not work in Vista because of the search thingie.
> >
> > Is there a new Window shortcut for shutting down that does not need the
> > mouse?

> Try pushing the power button on your case (just 1 press vs. 3, you do the
> math), the "Power Options" control panel applet lets you specify what the
> power button does (shut down, sleep, hibernate, etc).

Andrew McLaren

      11th Aug 2007
> "Dave Cox" wrote:
>> At the destop ALT+f4 then ENTER

"Mount_Dreamer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote ...
> That closes the explorer or IE window, it does not shutdown the computer.

No, Dave is correct. If you are at the Windows desktop and no other
applications are in the foreground, Alt-F4 brings up the
Shut down Windows" dialogue.

If an application such as Word or Internet Explorer has focus then, yes: the
app will intercept the Alt-F4 and close itself down, rather than Windows.
--
Andrew McLaren
amclar (at) optusnet dot com dot au

Dave Cox

      11th Aug 2007
=?Utf-8?B?TW91bnRfRHJlYW1lcg==?=
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> That closes the explorer or IE window, it does not shutdown the
> computer.

It does shut down the computer your just not doing it like I said.