Should I install Shockwave ?

John

      9th Mar 2005
I visited a site (Symantec) and wanted to look at product documentation.
The documentation requires me to download Macromedia, Shockwave Player 10.
From a security point of view, am I opening up my PC to greater risk of
attack by installing Shockwave ?

Thanks

Peter

      9th Mar 2005
No risk. You wont get far on the internet without it! Check out both
Shockwave and Flash Players here:
http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/welcome/

--
Peter.
Toronto, Canada.
>I visited a site (Symantec) and wanted to look at product documentation.
> The documentation requires me to download Macromedia, Shockwave Player 10.
> From a security point of view, am I opening up my PC to greater risk of
> attack by installing Shockwave ?
>
> Thanks

Viktor Krammer

      9th Mar 2005
Hi Peter,

> From a security point of view, am I opening up my PC to greater risk
> of attack by installing Shockwave ?

No, but most of todays Shockwave animation are actually ads. And a large
fraction of them is very annoying. They occupy your web browser screen like
a new layer obscuring the actual content of the website. You have to
actively close this kind of ads or you are forced to wait some seconds until
the ad finally decides to go away (if at all).

If you decide to install Falsh consider installing a Flash-Blocker too to
keep the control over your web browser.

Viktor
http://www.quero.at/