Shortcut key for Standby, Hibernate?

Paul J Ruiz

      28th May 2004
How can I set up shortcut keys or buttons for Standby and Hibernate in
XP on my VAIO 530G? I used to be able to do it on my Toshiba laptop.

Thanks.

Mousey Mick

      28th May 2004
Look here:

http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBG/TIP3100/rh3153.htm

Good Luck !

David Candy

      28th May 2004
Hibernate
Create a shortcut with

rundll32 Powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState

Note I can't guarantee it will always work. As we're passing Null, Null, Null. to a function that expects values. It will hibernate as you can't tell it to suspend

Platform SDK: Hardware

SetSuspendState
The SetSuspendState function suspends the system by shutting power down. Depending on the Hibernate parameter, the system either enters a suspend (sleep) state or hibernation (S4). If the ForceFlag parameter is TRUE, the system suspends operation immediately; if it is FALSE, the system requests permission from all applications and device drivers before doing so.

BOOL SetSuspendState (
BOOL Hibernate,
BOOL ForceCritical,
BOOL DisableWakeEvent
);
Parameters
Hibernate
[in] Specifies the state of the system. If TRUE, the system hibernates. If FALSE, the system is suspended.
ForceCritical
[in] Forced suspension. If TRUE, the function broadcasts a PBT_APMSUSPEND event to each application and driver, then immediately suspends operation. If FALSE, the function broadcasts a PBT_APMQUERYSUSPEND event to each application to request permission to suspend operation.
DisableWakeEvent
[in] If TRUE, the system disables all wake events. If FALSE, any system wake events remain enabled.
Return Values
If the function succeeds, the return value is nonzero.

If the function fails, the return value is zero. To get extended error information, call GetLastError.

Remarks
An application may use SetSuspendState to transition the system from the working state to the standby (sleep), or optionally, hibernate (S4) state. This function is similar to the SetSystemPowerState function.

Requirements
Windows NT/2000/XP: Included in Windows 2000 and later.
Windows 95/98/Me: Included in Windows 98 and later.
Header: Declared in Powrprof.h.
Library: Use Powrprof.lib.

See Also
Power Management Overview, Power Management Functions, PBT_APMQUERYSUSPEND, PBT_APMSUSPEND

Then put on start or desktop and set a hotkey in it's properties.

2 Suspend

Create a text file called something.vbs. Create a shortcut to it and place the shortcut on the desktop or Start menu (only places windows looks for shortcuts with shortcut keys), right click it, Properties, and set it to a keystroke. This will do all open windows.

Paste this in

Set wshshell = CreateObject("Shell.Application")
wshshell.TileHorizontally

Choose one from below

CascadeWindows Cascadess all of the windows on the desktop.
EjectPC Ejects the computer from its docking station.
FileRun Displays the Run dialog to the user.
FindComputer Displays the Find: Computer dialog box.
FindFiles Displays the Find: All Files dialog box.
Help Displays Microsoft® Windows® Help.
MinimizeAll Minimizes all of the windows on the desktop.
RefreshMenu Refreshes the contents of the Start Menu.
SetTime Displays the Date/Time Properties dialog box.
ShutdownWindows Displays the Shut Down Windows dialog box.
Suspend Suspends the computer.
TileHorizontally Tiles all of the windows on the desktop horizontally.
TileVertically Tiles all of the windows on the desktop vertically.
TrayProperties Displays the Taskbar Properties dialog box.
UndoMinimize ALL Restores all of the windows on the desktop to the
same state they were in before the last MinimizeAll command.

To tile/cascade specific windows ctrl + click them on the taskbar, then right click one and choose cascade or tile.

http://home.comcast.net/~wizardofwhimsy/index.html