sharing printer over the network problem

Stingray

      21st Apr 2009
I am facing this problem with my Xp workstation when i try to share my
printer over the network, there aren't any problems when i send prints
locally, when ever anyone sends prints to the printer the prints are
qued in the printer status as printing but nothing happens on the
printing device, however as soon as i restart the printer spooler
services the prints start coming on the printer.

what can be the problem ?

regards
Faisal

Alan Morris [MSFT]

      21st Apr 2009
The print driver requires admin access to some resource. When you restart
the spooler, the authentication token from the client is gone so the spooler
owns the job and has admin access to all resources.

I've seen this with very few HP drivers that use a language monitor. Guests
could print after unchecking Enable bidirectional on the Port tab of print
properties.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"Stingray" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am facing this problem with my Xp workstation when i try to share my
>printer over the network, there aren't any problems when i send prints
>locally, when ever anyone sends prints to the printer the prints are qued
>in the printer status as printing but nothing happens on the printing
>device, however as soon as i restart the printer spooler services the
>prints start coming on the printer.
>
> what can be the problem ?
>
> regards
> Faisal

Stingray

      24th Apr 2009
Thank you Alan this solved the problem ...

Alan Morris [MSFT] wrote:
> The print driver requires admin access to some resource. When you restart
> the spooler, the authentication token from the client is gone so the spooler
> owns the job and has admin access to all resources.
>
> I've seen this with very few HP drivers that use a language monitor. Guests
> could print after unchecking Enable bidirectional on the Port tab of print
> properties.

Alan Morris [MSFT]

      24th Apr 2009
which printer model do you have and how is the printer connected to the XP
machine?

version number of the print driver would be nice but not necessary.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

news:Of%(E-Mail Removed)...