Shared printer installation problem

David

      28th Feb 2006
I have a printer hosted by a WinXP machine and it's shared. When I attempt
to install the printer on Win2K "clients" the installation process crashes
with a "DKAAP2PI.EXE" error at the point where I indicate the path to the
print queue on the WinXP machine.

The error goes on to read that an instruction at some location referenced
memory that could not be read. Is this a problem with printing from Win2K
to printers that are hosted by WinXP or is it more likely a driver problem?

Thanks for any assistance.

David

Alan Morris [MSFT]

      28th Feb 2006
this is a driver issue. Contact Dell.

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportfor...l=en&cs=&s=gen

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a printer hosted by a WinXP machine and it's shared. When I attempt
>to install the printer on Win2K "clients" the installation process crashes
>with a "DKAAP2PI.EXE" error at the point where I indicate the path to the
>print queue on the WinXP machine.
>
> The error goes on to read that an instruction at some location referenced
> memory that could not be read. Is this a problem with printing from Win2K
> to printers that are hosted by WinXP or is it more likely a driver
> problem?
>
> Thanks for any assistance.
>
> David

David

      28th Feb 2006
Alan,

Thanks for the help. If I were to use a Microsoft-supplied PCL driver in
place of the Dell driver, do you have any idea which one would be most
appropriate?

Thanks again.

David
-------------
"Alan Morris [MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:eV$(E-Mail Removed)...
> this is a driver issue. Contact Dell.
>
> http://forums.us.dell.com/supportfor...l=en&cs=&s=gen
>
> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

> rights.
>
> "David" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I have a printer hosted by a WinXP machine and it's shared. When I
>>attempt to install the printer on Win2K "clients" the installation process
>>crashes with a "DKAAP2PI.EXE" error at the point where I indicate the path
>>to the print queue on the WinXP machine.
>>
>> The error goes on to read that an instruction at some location referenced
>> memory that could not be read. Is this a problem with printing from
>> Win2K to printers that are hosted by WinXP or is it more likely a driver
>> problem?
>>
>> Thanks for any assistance.
>>
>> David

Alan Morris [MSFT]

      28th Feb 2006
Is this the Dell 1700N? If not what is the model? I'll ping the Lexmark
people here and find out if they have a Lexmark to Dell comparison.

I would think the inbox Lexmark Optra S or T MS drivers would work. Pick
one that has 1200x resolution. I looked at Dell and they have the 1710 now.
Pick one of the Lexmark's with a similar number.
--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

news:uL$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Alan,
>
> Thanks for the help. If I were to use a Microsoft-supplied PCL driver in
> place of the Dell driver, do you have any idea which one would be most
> appropriate?
>
> Thanks again.
>
> David
> -------------
> "Alan Morris [MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:eV$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> this is a driver issue. Contact Dell.
>>
>> http://forums.us.dell.com/supportfor...l=en&cs=&s=gen
>>
>> --
>> Alan Morris
>> Windows Printing Team

>> rights.
>>
>> "David" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I have a printer hosted by a WinXP machine and it's shared. When I
>>>attempt to install the printer on Win2K "clients" the installation
>>>process crashes with a "DKAAP2PI.EXE" error at the point where I indicate
>>>the path to the print queue on the WinXP machine.
>>>
>>> The error goes on to read that an instruction at some location
>>> referenced memory that could not be read. Is this a problem with
>>> printing from Win2K to printers that are hosted by WinXP or is it more
>>> likely a driver problem?
>>>
>>> Thanks for any assistance.
>>>
>>> David

David

      28th Feb 2006
The printer I have is a 1700 (not N). Thanks.
-------
"Alan Morris [MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is this the Dell 1700N? If not what is the model? I'll ping the Lexmark
> people here and find out if they have a Lexmark to Dell comparison.
>
> I would think the inbox Lexmark Optra S or T MS drivers would work. Pick
> one that has 1200x resolution. I looked at Dell and they have the 1710
> now. Pick one of the Lexmark's with a similar number.
> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

> rights.
>
> "David" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:uL$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Alan,
>>
>> Thanks for the help. If I were to use a Microsoft-supplied PCL driver in
>> place of the Dell driver, do you have any idea which one would be most
>> appropriate?
>>
>> Thanks again.
>>
>> David
>> -------------
>> "Alan Morris [MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:eV$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> this is a driver issue. Contact Dell.
>>>
>>> http://forums.us.dell.com/supportfor...l=en&cs=&s=gen
>>>
>>> --
>>> Alan Morris
>>> Windows Printing Team
>>> Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here:
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];kbhowto

>>> rights.
>>>
>>> "David" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

Richard.Redwood@gmail.com

      8th Mar 2006
Hi,

I have also just had the same problem happen in the last few days on
two computers running Win2k

Has anyone found a driver or a fix for the problem yet?

Many Thanks

Rich

phasek@gmail.com

      8th Mar 2006
The following link may be of use to you - I have posted at the end a
solution and a link to a Driver that seems to work.

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportfor...cending&page=1

Little_Richie

      8th Mar 2006
Thanks alot for this link it has saved my life!

Many Thanks

Rich