Share outlook macros

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG8gUm9tYQ==?=

      12th Oct 2005
Hi,
I need to write (and frequently update) Outlook macros and distribute them
over more pc (on a network). Is it possible to store modules (.bas) over a
network shared folder?
Why is not possible to use macros if Word is configured as preferred mail
editor?

All pc have XP-Pro and Outlook 2003 with Exchange account.

Tanks everyone who can help me.

Carlo
Roma - Italy

Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]

      12th Oct 2005
Outlook VBA code always resides in the VBAProject.otm in the user's personal folders and is designed for personal use. It was never intended for distribution to large numbers of users. There is, in fact, no supported way to distribute Outlook macros, as there is with document-centric programs like Word and Excel. The recommended solution is to build an add-in, either a classic COM add-in for Outlook 2000 or later or, if you're supporting only Outlook 2003, an add-in based on the ..NET Framework with Visual Studio Tools 2005 for Office.

If you insist on trying to distribute VBA code to other people, I've suggested some methods at http://www.outlookcode.com/d/distributevba.htm.

What symptoms make you think you can't use macros with Word as the email editor?

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP

"Carlo Roma" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
> I need to write (and frequently update) Outlook macros and distribute them
> over more pc (on a network). Is it possible to store modules (.bas) over a
> network shared folder?
> Why is not possible to use macros if Word is configured as preferred mail
> editor?
>
> All pc have XP-Pro and Outlook 2003 with Exchange account.
>
> Tanks everyone who can help me.
>
> Carlo
> Roma - Italy

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG8gUm9tYQ==?=

      12th Oct 2005
First, tank for your fast answer. Excuse me for my poor english.

> If you insist on trying to distribute VBA code to other people, I've suggested some methods at http://www.outlookcode.com/d/distributevba.htm.

Good resource, I've bookmarked it.
I'll use "Copy VbaProject.otm", inserting the "copy" command in the
"startup" menu.

> What symptoms make you think you can't use macros with Word as the email editor?

Simply: all menu's choice about macros are gray....
I tried to copy macros to menu bar (disabling Word for import macros in
VBA), but if I set Word as editor, the button disappear from menubar, so I
could'nt use Word as editor if I need macros.

Tank you for your attention

Carlo

Roma- Italy

Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]

      12th Oct 2005
Sorry, but I can't follow this. What menu choices? In Outlook? In Word? In a message with Word as the editor? What menubar?

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP

"Carlo Roma" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> What symptoms make you think you can't use macros with Word as the email editor?

> Simply: all menu's choice about macros are gray....
> I tried to copy macros to menu bar (disabling Word for import macros in
> VBA), but if I set Word as editor, the button disappear from menubar, so I
> could'nt use Word as editor if I need macros.
>

> Tank you for your attention
>
> Carlo
>
> Roma- Italy

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG8gUm9tYQ==?=

      13th Oct 2005

"Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> Sorry, but I can't follow this. What menu choices? In Outlook? In Word? In a message with Word as the editor?

In a message with Word as the editor

>What menubar?

The menubar that contain macros button, created dropping macros from
Customize, Macros windows.