Shade alternate lines in a report...without code!

Joe

      3rd May 2004
Hello,

Looking for a way to print reports with every other line
shaded...but without code. I have had reports (phone
lists, etc.) print this way a loooong time ago, but cannot
figure out how I got it to happen.

Thanks and make it a GREAT DAY!

Joe

Marshall Barton

      3rd May 2004
Joe wrote:
>Looking for a way to print reports with every other line
>shaded...but without code. I have had reports (phone
>lists, etc.) print this way a loooong time ago, but cannot
>figure out how I got it to happen.

It's simpler using code.

Without code, if you're using A2K or later, First, add a
text box named txtLineCtr, make it invisible and set its
expression to =1.

Make the BackStyle of all of your current controls
Transparent.

Then add another text box (the same size as the entire
detail section) and use The Format - Send To Back menu item
to put it behind all the other controls. Now you can set
tis text box's Conditional Formatting - Expression Is
txtLineCtr Mod 2 = 0
with your selected background color.

--
Marsh
MVP [MS Access]

Joe

      4th May 2004
Thanks Marsh!

Quick follow up. When you say make the first text
invisible, I assume you mean under the format menu,
visible, and click "no." But I am not sure where to put
the "expression" of "=1." Is that under tab Data, then
Control Source of the text box's property dialog box?

I am not sure of the "exact" place to enter that
expression, and I am guessing I am not putting it in the
right place as the shading is not occurring.

The rest seems pretty straight forward and I did that.
Though no formatting has taken place in the report, on
every other line or every line, so I assume no conditions
are being met by the "conditional formatting" dialog box.

Any futher clarification would be greatly appreciated. I
am using MS Access 2000. THANKS!

Joe

Marshall Barton

      4th May 2004
Whoops... :-(

I forgot to tell you to set the txtLineCtr text box's
RunningSum property to Over All, under the text box's
property sheet's Data tab.

The =1 goes in the text box's CountrolSource property, also
under the Data tab.

The Visible property is under the Property sheet's Format
tab.