setup configuration process always runs on startup

Rhomium

      12th Oct 2008
When I start Access 2007, the "configuring MIcrosoft Access 2007" windows
always pops up. Is there a fix for this?

Thanks.

Twee

      21st Dec 2008
This happens to me as well with Outlook. So far I've tried using the Windows
Install Clean-Up Tool (don't bother, you end up having to reinstall Office);
using Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs>Repair (no change); using Control
Panel>Add/Remove Programs>Change>Run All from My Computer (no change); and
uninstalling/reinstalling Office (no change). This DID NOT happen the first
month after I installed Office Standard 2007--It's only been doing this for
the past week. Everytime after I restart my computer and open Outlook, I get
"Please Wait While Setup Prepares the Necessary Files" and "Configuring
Microsoft Office 2007."
I've emailed Microsoft Office support, but they can't seem to figure it out
either.

"Rhomium" wrote:

> When I start Access 2007, the "configuring MIcrosoft Access 2007" windows
> always pops up. Is there a fix for this?
>
> Thanks.

Paddler

      22nd Dec 2008

"Rhomium" wrote:

> When I start Access 2007, the "configuring MIcrosoft Access 2007" windows
> always pops up. Is there a fix for this?
>
> Thanks.

I had to reinstall Office 2003 yesterday and am having the same problem with
Access 2003. I am piggybacking on this question in hopes that somebody will
answer with a fix.

Paddler

Twee

      23rd Dec 2008
Well I think I finally found the answer, or actually one of the Microsoft
support people did. I've copied the steps they sent me via email. Step 1 did
not work. I then did BOTH Steps 2 & 3. One or both of them solved the
problem. One caveat: the first time you open an Office application after
doing these fixes it WILL AGAIN go through the setup/configuration process
one more time, but after that they just open (even after restart). Good luck!

Possible cause: Corrupt Windows Installer

Here are a few steps that should help to resolve the problem:

Step1: Reinstall Windows Installer
1. Click on Start>Run
2. Type "msiexec /unregister" (without quotes) then press Enter
3. Click on Start then type "msiexec /register" (without quotes) then
press Enter
4. Now try to open Office applications

If the problem still persists, please go to the next steps.

Step2: Add the registry keys
Click on Start>Run (NOTE: Please do it only the respective application) Copy
and paste the below switch
reg add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Word\Options /v NoReReg /t
REG_DWORD /d 1
reg add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\excel\Options /v NoReReg /t
REG_DWORD /d 1
reg add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Outlook\Options /v NoReReg /t
REG_DWORD /d 1
reg add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Power Point\Options /v NoReReg
/t REG_DWORD /d 1
Restart the computer and check for the issue

If the problem still persists, please go to the next steps.

Step3: Repair Windows Installer
To repair Windows Installer, please follow the steps below and I am sure
this should help to resolve the issue
1. Open Internet Explorer
2. Copy and paste the below link
http://www.softpedia.com/progDownloa...oad-27328.html
3. Click on External Mirror 1 [ZIP]
4. Click on Save and save it on to your desktop
5. Click on Open
6. Double click on Dial a fix
7. Double click on Dialafix.exe
8. And click on Extract All
9. Click on Next and Complete the installation
10. Double click on “Dial-a-fix-v0.60.0.24 “
11. Double click on “Dial-a-fix.exe”
12. Click on Run
13. Select Fix Windows Installer Under MSI (check the box)
14. And click on GO
15. Restart the computer and check for the issue

"Rhomium" wrote:

> When I start Access 2007, the "configuring MIcrosoft Access 2007" windows
> always pops up. Is there a fix for this?
>
> Thanks.

cdtherapist@comcast.net

      8th Jan 2009
On Dec 23 2008, 2:12*pm, Twee <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Well I think I finally found the answer, or actually one of the Microsoft
> support people did. I've copied the steps they sent me via email. Step 1 did
> not work. I then did BOTH Steps 2 & 3. One or both of them solved the
> problem. One caveat: the first time you open an Office application after
> doing these fixes it WILL AGAIN go through the setup/configuration process
> one more time, but after that they just open (even after restart). Good luck!
>
> Possible cause: Corrupt Windows Installer
>
> Here are a few steps that should help to resolve the problem:
>
> Step1: Reinstall Windows Installer
> 1. * *Click on Start>Run
> 2. * *Type "msiexec /unregister" (without quotes) then press Enter
> 3. * *Click on Start then type "msiexec /register" (without quotes) then
> press Enter
> 4. * *Now try to open Office applications
>
> If the problem still persists, please go to the next steps.
>
> Step2: Add the registry keys
> Click on Start>Run (NOTE: Please do it only the respective application) Copy
> and paste the below switch
> reg add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Word\Options /v NoReReg /t
> REG_DWORD /d 1
> reg add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\excel\Options /v NoReReg /t
> REG_DWORD /d 1
> reg add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Outlook\Options /v NoReReg /t
> REG_DWORD /d 1
> reg add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Power Point\Options /v NoReReg
> /t REG_DWORD /d 1
> Restart the computer and check for the issue
>
> If the problem still persists, please go to the next steps.
>
> *Step3: Repair Windows Installer
> To repair Windows Installer, please follow the steps below and I am sure
> this should help to resolve the issue
> 1. * *Open Internet Explorer
> 2. * *Copy and paste the below linkhttp://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/Dial-a-fix-Download-27328.html
> 3. * *Click on External Mirror 1 [ZIP]
> 4. * *Click on Save and save it on to your desktop
> 5. * *Click on Open
> 6. * *Double click on Dial a fix
> 7. * *Double click on Dialafix.exe
> 8. * *And click on Extract All
> 9. * *Click on Next and Complete the installation
> 10. Double click on Dial-a-fix-v0.60.0.24
> 11. Double click on Dial-a-fix.exe
> 12. Click on Run
> 13. Select Fix Windows Installer Under MSI (check the box)
> 14. And click on GO
> 15. Restart the computer and check for the issue
>

> "Rhomium" wrote:
> > When I start Access 2007, the "configuring MIcrosoft Access 2007" windows
> > always pops up. *Is there a fix for this?

> > Thanks.

Thanks for the info. I tried everything you listed above but to no
avail. I still get the setup/configuration pop-ups when attempting to
start Outlook 2007, Access 2007, and FrontPage 2002. Additionally,
there is no "Options" directory in the Microsoft Access registry to
add the NoReReg value. Are we to add one? Also, that Dial-A-Fix does
not work on Windows Vista yet. Only XP and lower. Still working on the
problem and will post a solution here when, and if, one is found.
Thanks again,
-sirlygic

Connell Giacomini

      8th Jan 2009
Try this to fix the problem:

1. Click Start and select Control Panel
2. Click User Accounts
3. Click User Accounts (again)
4. Click "Turn User Account Control on or off"
5. Uncheck "Use User Account Control (UAC) to help protect your computer"
6. Click OK and allow restarting your computer.
7. After restart, follow these steps again, but this time you need to turn
UAC back on (step 5.)
8. Click OK and then restart your computer once again.

This should have the effect of resetting the Office 2007 configuration and
solve your problem.

Con Giacomini

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]
>> 12. Click on Run
>> 13. Select Fix Windows Installer Under MSI (check the box)
>> 14. And click on GO
>> 15. Restart the computer and check for the issue
>>

>> "Rhomium" wrote:
>> > When I start Access 2007, the "configuring MIcrosoft Access 2007"
>> > windows
>> > always pops up. Is there a fix for this?

>> > Thanks.

> Thanks for the info. I tried everything you listed above but to no
> avail. I still get the setup/configuration pop-ups when attempting to
> start Outlook 2007, Access 2007, and FrontPage 2002. Additionally,
> there is no "Options" directory in the Microsoft Access registry to
> add the NoReReg value. Are we to add one? Also, that Dial-A-Fix does
> not work on Windows Vista yet. Only XP and lower. Still working on the
> problem and will post a solution here when, and if, one is found.

cdtherapist@comcast.net

      8th Jan 2009
On Jan 7, 8:23*pm, "Connell Giacomini" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> [...]

> >> 7. Double click on Dialafix.exe
> >> 8. And click on Extract All
> >> 9. Click on Next and Complete the installation
> >> 10. Double click on Dial-a-fix-v0.60.0.24
> >> 11. Double click on Dial-a-fix.exe
> >> 12. Click on Run
> >> 13. Select Fix Windows Installer Under MSI (check the box)
> >> 14. And click on GO
> >> 15. Restart the computer and check for the issue

> > Thanks for the info. I tried everything you listed above but to no
> > avail. I still get the setup/configuration pop-ups when attempting to
> > start Outlook 2007, Access 2007, and FrontPage 2002. Additionally,
> > there is no "Options" directory in the Microsoft Access registry to
> > add the NoReReg value. Are we to add one? Also, that Dial-A-Fix does
> > not work on Windows Vista yet. Only XP and lower. Still working on the
> > problem and will post a solution here when, and if, one is found.

Thanks Connell:
Unfortunately, that did not work either. I actually already had the
"Use User Account Control (UAC) to help protect your computer"
unchecked before I started. So I checked it, rebooted and tried the
Office applications but still got the same setup/configuration
windows. So I unchecked again, rebooted, rechecked, rebooted, and
still the same. This only happens with Outlook 2007, Access 2007, and
FrontPage 2002. Word, Excel, Visio, InfoPath, Publisher and PowerPoint
all work fine. I'll continue to search for an answer and post it if I
find one.
Thanks again,
-sirlygic