"Setup is Being Restarted" Loop

Robert Pitney

      28th Sep 2003
My father-in-law recently obtained the W32.Swen.A@mm
virus that brought his Windows XP Home PC to its knees.
Over the phone, I guided him through the removal
instructions as posted on the Symantec web site.
Unfortunately, he could not get the removal tool because
of a lack of an Internet connection. After making the
changes to the registry of the machine, he went to reboot
and Windows failed to boot. I told him to put in his
Windows XP Home CD and reinstall Windows XP with
the "repair" option.

The problem is that the repair option hangs the PC when
it is installing hardware. It asks for a file
viaagp1.sys, which my father-in-law did not know how to
get, so he skipped the file and setup hangs about 2
minutes later. I now have the PC in my possession and
have repeated the same process, but this time I fed it a
viaagp1.sys file downloaded from the Via web site. The
machine still hangs before setup completes.

Here's the problem: I cannot do a F&R or a normal
Windows XP setup on this PC because this PC is the main
PC for a church and there are lots of critical documents
in the My Documents folders of various users. I suspect
that there is a good Windows install sitting below the
surface, but some flag at bootup makes it go backup into
setup with the "setup is being restarted" screen. I have
tried to boot into safe mode with networking to see if I
can at least copy the critical files off of the PC to
another machine so I can do a full install, but I keep
getting a message the setup cannot run in safe mode and
the PC reboots to the "setup is being restarted screen".

I feel like I am in a catch-22 loop here and my Internet
searches on how to stop the setup program from restarting
at bootup have come up with nothing. Can someone please
help me? I want to either find a way to make the repair
install go to completion without hanging on the hardware
portion of setup -OR- a way that will let me boot into
safe mode with networking to copy the critical data off
of the PC and I will then do a F&R. Can either of these
be done, or is this church's data SOL? BTW, file system
format is NTFS.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Nicholas

      28th Sep 2003

[Courtesy of Michael Stevens, MS-MVP]

--
Nicholas

"Robert Pitney" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message:
news:15ba001c385c3$93d591b0$(E-Mail Removed)...

| My father-in-law recently obtained the W32.Swen.A@mm
| virus that brought his Windows XP Home PC to its knees.
| Over the phone, I guided him through the removal
| instructions as posted on the Symantec web site.
| Unfortunately, he could not get the removal tool because
| of a lack of an Internet connection. After making the
| changes to the registry of the machine, he went to reboot
| and Windows failed to boot. I told him to put in his
| Windows XP Home CD and reinstall Windows XP with
| the "repair" option.
|
| The problem is that the repair option hangs the PC when
| it is installing hardware. It asks for a file
| viaagp1.sys, which my father-in-law did not know how to
| get, so he skipped the file and setup hangs about 2
| minutes later. I now have the PC in my possession and
| have repeated the same process, but this time I fed it a
| viaagp1.sys file downloaded from the Via web site. The
| machine still hangs before setup completes.
|
| Here's the problem: I cannot do a F&R or a normal
| Windows XP setup on this PC because this PC is the main
| PC for a church and there are lots of critical documents
| in the My Documents folders of various users. I suspect
| that there is a good Windows install sitting below the
| surface, but some flag at bootup makes it go backup into
| setup with the "setup is being restarted" screen. I have
| tried to boot into safe mode with networking to see if I
| can at least copy the critical files off of the PC to
| another machine so I can do a full install, but I keep
| getting a message the setup cannot run in safe mode and
| the PC reboots to the "setup is being restarted screen".
|
| I feel like I am in a catch-22 loop here and my Internet
| searches on how to stop the setup program from restarting
| at bootup have come up with nothing. Can someone please
| help me? I want to either find a way to make the repair
| install go to completion without hanging on the hardware
| portion of setup -OR- a way that will let me boot into
| safe mode with networking to copy the critical data off
| of the PC and I will then do a F&R. Can either of these
| be done, or is this church's data SOL? BTW, file system
| format is NTFS.
|
| Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

murray

      29th Sep 2003
stick the hard drive into another pc as a slave and copy
the data that way.