setting up a wireless network

Dan Galfano

      5th May 2004
Hi,

I just got my new laptop an eMachine m6809. It comes with an integrated
wirless g card. I just got a Microsoft wireless B router yesterday hoping
that I could get online wirelessly. I have the router (base station as it's
referred to) all connected and can get online via cat5. However, I can't
seem to figure out how to go wireless.

When I click on the wireless network connection, nothing comes in the
available wireless networks.

When I go to my network connections window I have 3 items under my LAN or
High-Speed Internet section:
Wireless Network Connection (which says is unavailable) - In the properties
I have the Windows to configure my wireless network settings check box
selected but nothing shows up below

Local Area Connection (which is enabled) - When I unplug the cat5, this gets
disabled and I lose my connection

It looks like the adapter is using the Local Area Connection...maybe I
have to switch to the wireless? how?

1394 Connection (which is enabled)

If I go to my Microsoft Broadband Network Utility and click on Adapter
Settings, my wireless section is grayed out.

Anybody have an idea?

thanks

Dan

Dan Galfano

      5th May 2004
Also, my wireless network signal (Broadcom Wireless Configuration Utility)
says the radio on my network adapter is disabled...and that I should enable
it..So I hit enable, but that doesn't work and it says that the radio on my
802.11 network adapter is still disabled. and to use the hardware radio
control switch to enable it...?

"Dan Galfano" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I just got my new laptop an eMachine m6809. It comes with an integrated
> wirless g card. I just got a Microsoft wireless B router yesterday hoping
> that I could get online wirelessly. I have the router (base station as

it's
> referred to) all connected and can get online via cat5. However, I can't
> seem to figure out how to go wireless.
>
> When I click on the wireless network connection, nothing comes in the
> available wireless networks.
>
> When I go to my network connections window I have 3 items under my LAN or
> High-Speed Internet section:
> Wireless Network Connection (which says is unavailable) - In the

properties
> I have the Windows to configure my wireless network settings check box
> selected but nothing shows up below
>
> Local Area Connection (which is enabled) - When I unplug the cat5, this

gets
> disabled and I lose my connection
>
> It looks like the adapter is using the Local Area Connection...maybe I
> have to switch to the wireless? how?
>
> 1394 Connection (which is enabled)
>
> If I go to my Microsoft Broadband Network Utility and click on Adapter
> Settings, my wireless section is grayed out.
>
> Anybody have an idea?
>
> thanks
>
> Dan

Sharon F

      6th May 2004
On Wed, 5 May 2004 09:41:40 -0400, Dan Galfano wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just got my new laptop an eMachine m6809. It comes with an integrated
> wirless g card. I just got a Microsoft wireless B router yesterday hoping
> that I could get online wirelessly. I have the router (base station as it's
> referred to) all connected and can get online via cat5. However, I can't
> seem to figure out how to go wireless.
>
> When I click on the wireless network connection, nothing comes in the
> available wireless networks.
>
> When I go to my network connections window I have 3 items under my LAN or
> High-Speed Internet section:
> Wireless Network Connection (which says is unavailable) - In the properties
> I have the Windows to configure my wireless network settings check box
> selected but nothing shows up below
>
> Local Area Connection (which is enabled) - When I unplug the cat5, this gets
> disabled and I lose my connection
>
> It looks like the adapter is using the Local Area Connection...maybe I
> have to switch to the wireless? how?
>
> 1394 Connection (which is enabled)
>
> If I go to my Microsoft Broadband Network Utility and click on Adapter
> Settings, my wireless section is grayed out.
>
> Anybody have an idea?
>
> thanks
>
> Dan

There's a newsgroup on this server that is specifically for the MS
broadband hardware:

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

Dan Galfano

      6th May 2004
Thanks Sharon! It's always nice to be in the right place to ask a question

Dan

news:(E-Mail Removed)...