Setting the ideal TCP Window Receive Window size or buffer setting

john

      25th May 2009

Hello,

I've been trying to determine what buffer setting I should use to increase
download speed.

Any ideas?

John

Leonard Grey

      25th May 2009
Neither the TCP Receive Window nor anything else can increase your
download speed, which is set and regulated by your ISP.

To learn about the TCP Receive Window, use it as a search term in the
search engine of your choice.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

john wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've been trying to determine what buffer setting I should use to increase
> download speed.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> John

Gerry

      25th May 2009
John

I think Leonard has given you the answer. Choosing to download at a less
popular time of the day / night might help!

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

john wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've been trying to determine what buffer setting I should use to
> increase download speed.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> John

Mike Hall - MVP

      25th May 2009
"john" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Hello,
>
> I've been trying to determine what buffer setting I should use to increase
> download speed.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> John
> --

Go to www.speedtest.com

Follow the simple on screen instructions - Look at the test result - Is it
anywhere close to the download speed for which you are paying?

How do you connect to the Internet? Direct to a DSL/Cable modem or through a
router? To find out if a router is causing the slowness (and older models
can do this), connect your computer directly to the modem and run the test
again.. If the test result is the same, your router is OK..

If no change is noted after having done the above, try this..

To change your TCP Receive Window size:

Launch window registry editor by clicking on Start | Run .
Click in the Open dropdown box and type in regedit.exe then click OK .
Back up your registry by selecting File | Export type in a meaningful file
name, in the export range section select All and save to your hard drive. To
restore your old registry you simply import this file.
Next you need to create a new registry key. On the left side you need to go
to the directory
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters
Select Edit | New | DWORD Value .
Rename the new registry key to TcpWindowSize.
Modify the registry setting for TcpWindowSize by double clicking on the key.
Change the Base Setting to Decimal.
Enter the value 64240 and click OK, then exit RegEdit.
For these settings to take effect you need to close all your open
applications and reboot your system.

--

Mike Hall - MVP Windows Experience
http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/