PC Review

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Set up PC to act as a server

14th Mar 2006
i heard there was a way of using an old PC to act as your server?

is this possible and how do i do it?

Rocket Scientist

14th Mar 2006
Do you want to host webpages for others, or just test things out for yourself? There are quite a few ways to do this, but if you explain I'll list the best options

17th Mar 2006
ideally i'd like to host pages for other ppl but in the meantime i just want it to test pages locally.

i've tried installing IIS but this doesn't even list under my Windows Components.

17th Mar 2006
It would be not such a great idea to host pages for other people on an old PC at home.

Why? Your internet connection is probably only 256k upstreak - v slow. Also if it goes wrong or you have a powercut or anything then it wont work... people would be let down...

EVGA 680SLi Motherboard, Intel E6600 LGA775 3.4GHz OC'd, ATI Radeon HD 5850 1024Mb, 4Gb Corsair XMS C4 2x Matched Pairs, Samsung Spinpoint's 740Gb RAID 0 SATAII, Antec Three Hundred Case, Windows 7 Home Premium.

Rocket Scientist

17th Mar 2006
If its just to test, give this a go:

http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html

17th Mar 2006
cool, thanks ian. will give it a go for my local files.

just out of interest thou, know any good web servers with free web space?

i have a website i'm creating for a company and they want to be able to view it

20th Mar 2006
using your PC as a server really isn't a good idea (as chris* mentioned) unless you already know you are going to make mega $$ from it for whatever various reason. This is because in order for it to be worth while, you would have to invest in @least a fractional T1 line, for which you would have to lease a CSU/DSU and DVM modem from telco - making really big monthly bills.

if you wanted to do it, you would have to be hosting quite a few websites for clients to make it worth the $$.

20th Mar 2006
oh ok. thanks for all the info

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: