How to set initial cursor position in a document?

Michael Barnard

      8th Jul 2003
Hi.

I'm using word 2000 on xp home. I have a nice new template for my
home letters but the default position for the cursor when it's invoked
is at the top left, 1st row, 1st character.

I'd like it to start further down the page so that I don't have to
manually move it every time I start a new document. I guess it'll
have to be a macro, but I've never used them. Anyone got a hint for
poor little me?

Thanks.

Suzanne S. Barnhill

      9th Jul 2003
You might get a few hints at
http://home.zebra.net/~sbarnhill/Letterhead.htm. The biggest tip is not to
put your letterhead at the top of the document body; put it in the header.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"Michael Barnard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi.
>
> I'm using word 2000 on xp home. I have a nice new template for my
> home letters but the default position for the cursor when it's invoked
> is at the top left, 1st row, 1st character.
>
> I'd like it to start further down the page so that I don't have to
> manually move it every time I start a new document. I guess it'll
> have to be a macro, but I've never used them. Anyone got a hint for
> poor little me?
>
> Thanks.

Michael Barnard

      9th Jul 2003
On Tue, 8 Jul 2003 18:16:45 -0500, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>You might get a few hints at
>http://home.zebra.net/~sbarnhill/Letterhead.htm. The biggest tip is not to
>put your letterhead at the top of the document body; put it in the header.

Hi.

Thanks for the link. My letterhead is in the header, but there's some
text such as the "Dear Sir or Madam" line that needs to be editable
that isn't in it. This is what is taking up the space.

Graham Mayor

      9th Jul 2003
See also
http://www.gmayor.dsl.pipex.com/Macrobutton.htm

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
Graham Mayor - Word MVP

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
> In that case you do need the macro that may or may not be mentioned
> in that article. Set a bookmark where you want the initial cursor
> location to be and record a macro of going to that bookmark. Name the
> macro AutoNew and save it in the letter template, and whenever you
> create a new document based on that template, the insertion point
> will be where you need it to be.
>

> "Michael Barnard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Tue, 8 Jul 2003 18:16:45 -0500, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> You might get a few hints at
>>> http://home.zebra.net/~sbarnhill/Letterhead.htm. The biggest tip is
>>> not to put your letterhead at the top of the document body; put it
>>> in the header.

>> Hi.
>>
>> Thanks for the link. My letterhead is in the header, but there's
>> some text such as the "Dear Sir or Madam" line that needs to be
>> editable
>> that isn't in it. This is what is taking up the space.

Michael Barnard

      9th Jul 2003
On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 08:39:41 +0100, "Graham Mayor" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>See also
>http://www.gmayor.dsl.pipex.com/Macrobutton.htm

Cool folks. Thanks for the help.

--
Regards from Mike Barnard
South Coast, UK.

[Remove ".trousers" spamblock to reply by email]

Michael Barnard

      9th Jul 2003
On Tue, 8 Jul 2003 20:03:37 -0500, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In that case you do need the macro that may or may not be mentioned in that
>article. Set a bookmark where you want the initial cursor location to be and
>record a macro of going to that bookmark. Name the macro AutoNew and save it
>in the letter template, and whenever you create a new document based on that
>template, the insertion point will be where you need it to be.

Cool, thanks for the help.