Session Variables in .NET

Carl

      4th Aug 2003
Hi,

I am starting to develop an ASP.Net application.

I will have a logon page which will take a UserName and
Password. A Stored Procedure will verify that the logon
is correct.

I was going to use a Session Variable to indicate whether
the user is logged on or not. Based on this variable I
would show certain links, allow access to certain pages.

Is this a good idea or is there a better way?

Thanks.
Carl.

Steve C. Orr, MCSD

      4th Aug 2003
ASP.NET has this functionality built in. It's called Forms Authentication.
It is easily configured in your web.config file.
Here's more information:

You may want to combine this with your session technique you mentioned to
determine which links to make visible on your page.

--
I hope this helps,
Steve C. Orr, MCSD

"Carl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:85f501c35ad8$5d56ef00$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I am starting to develop an ASP.Net application.
>
> I will have a logon page which will take a UserName and
> Password. A Stored Procedure will verify that the logon
> is correct.
>
> I was going to use a Session Variable to indicate whether
> the user is logged on or not. Based on this variable I
> would show certain links, allow access to certain pages.
>
> Is this a good idea or is there a better way?
>
> Thanks.
> Carl.

Adrian Banks

      5th Aug 2003
Have a look at
http://www.zdnet.com.au/builder/prog...35027,20274191,
00.htm

It explains how to use Forms authentication with a database, allowing you to
have an automated signup to enter user's details into a database.

Adrian

news:867f01c35ae0$d23d9050$(E-Mail Removed)...