Service Pack 3 info.

Elle

      22nd May 2008
Hi guys.

I know you’re probably getting tired of this question but I am having a hard
time deciding what to do next. I am using a windows XP Home edition with SP2
and I want to know in layman’s term what changes/problems/limitations you
can expect or encounter when you install SP3, for the reason that I am having
a hard time understanding some of the information I’ve found and read [I will
appreciate detailed information (such as speed, etc.)]. Is it really
necessary to upgrade to SP3?

Many Thanks.

Alan

      22nd May 2008
Hello Elle,

No, so long as your PC has SP2 and you keep it fully patched, there's no
overwhelming reason to go to SP3 right now.

From reading the newsgroups as well as my own personal experience, SP3
CAN -- although it's not certain -- to cause some problems with certain
applications and also with wireless connectivity.

Some people have problems; others don't.

Alan

"Elle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi guys.
>
> I know you're probably getting tired of this question but I am having a
> hard
> time deciding what to do next. I am using a windows XP Home edition with
> SP2
> and I want to know in layman's term what changes/problems/limitations you
> can expect or encounter when you install SP3, for the reason that I am
> having
> a hard time understanding some of the information I've found and read [I
> will
> appreciate detailed information (such as speed, etc.)]. Is it really
> necessary to upgrade to SP3?
>
> Many Thanks.

Stu

      22nd May 2008
I agree with Alan. There`s often a tendency to rush out and buy the latest
toy and problems befall us. XP SP3 is no exception. Inevitabley there will
come a time when MS will only issue patches specifically designed for SP3 -
possibly some two years or so down the line is what I`ve read. In the
meantime, if you are not confident, why not stay as you are until things have
settled down. In the meantime, you`ll still be receiving all the security
updates.

On the extreme end of thngs, I threw caution to the wind and upgraded taking
NONE of MSs recommendations. I did so purely to see what would happen.
Amazingly nothing!! Well done MS!! Having said that. I WOULD NEVER RECOMMEND
that approach to anyone - particularly when we are talking OS enhancements.
Whatever you decide, always follow MS`s recommendations. Perhaps you would
like to take a look here:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/w.../cc164204.aspx

Hope this helps.

Stu

"Elle" wrote:

> Hi guys.
>
> I know you’re probably getting tired of this question but I am having a hard
> time deciding what to do next. I am using a windows XP Home edition with SP2
> and I want to know in layman’s term what changes/problems/limitations you
> can expect or encounter when you install SP3, for the reason that I am having
> a hard time understanding some of the information I’ve found and read [I will
> appreciate detailed information (such as speed, etc.)]. Is it really
> necessary to upgrade to SP3?
>
> Many Thanks.

someone

      22nd May 2008
I have AU and MS hasn't downloaded SP3 and I have made no attempt to
download it. Windows XP, SP2. I have it fully patched so I don't know if
MS will try to download it eventually or not, but I think I will not do so
if MS gives me a choice.

"Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello Elle,
>
> No, so long as your PC has SP2 and you keep it fully patched, there's no
> overwhelming reason to go to SP3 right now.
>
> From reading the newsgroups as well as my own personal experience, SP3
> CAN -- although it's not certain -- to cause some problems with certain
> applications and also with wireless connectivity.
>
> Some people have problems; others don't.
>
> Alan
>
> "Elle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi guys.
>>
>> I know you're probably getting tired of this question but I am having a
>> hard
>> time deciding what to do next. I am using a windows XP Home edition with
>> SP2
>> and I want to know in layman's term what changes/problems/limitations
>> you
>> can expect or encounter when you install SP3, for the reason that I am
>> having
>> a hard time understanding some of the information I've found and read [I
>> will
>> appreciate detailed information (such as speed, etc.)]. Is it really
>> necessary to upgrade to SP3?
>>
>> Many Thanks.

romath@invalid.net

      22nd May 2008
Elle <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hi guys.
>
> I know you’re probably getting tired of this question but I am having a hard
> time deciding what to do next. I am using a windows XP Home edition with SP2
> and I want to know in layman’s term what changes/problems/limitations you
> can expect or encounter when you install SP3, for the reason that I am having
> a hard time understanding some of the information I’ve found and read [I will
> appreciate detailed information (such as speed, etc.)]. Is it really
> necessary to upgrade to SP3?

Well no, at least not for the first year, as I understand it. SP3
was offered and I took it right off and haven't had any problems caused
by it, AFAIK. There are some articles and blogs out there on problems
that are coming up, some of which may (or may not) affect your setup;
e.g., http://windowssecrets.com/comp/080522#story1

rm

Kayman

      23rd May 2008
On Thu, 22 May 2008 08:40:01 -0700, Elle wrote:

> Hi guys.
>
> I know youre probably getting tired of this question but I am having a hard
> time deciding what to do next. I am using a windows XP Home edition with SP2
> and I want to know in laymans term what changes/problems/limitations you
> can expect or encounter when you install SP3, for the reason that I am having
> a hard time understanding some of the information Ive found and read [I will
> appreciate detailed information (such as speed, etc.)]. Is it really
> necessary to upgrade to SP3?

In the not-so-distant future you *will* require SP3 in order to
download/install security updates/patches for your operating system!

There is still enough time to familiarize yourself with preparation and
requirements prior upgrading to SP3. But start now!

If necessary, get somebody to interpret and explain the prescribed
procedures.

Things to do prior downloading/installing SP3.
1.Make an Image backup of the hard drive/Windows Partition before you
install SP3
2.Test your System Restore to see if it is working correctly.
3.Make absolutely sure the machine's free of any hijackware, Trojan, or
virus infections before installing SP3.
4.Run Disk Cleanup then run a Defrag session before installing SP3.
5.Disable all real-time protections (anti-virus; anti-spyware; third-party
firewall) before downloading/installing SP3.
6.Reboot twice after installing SP3.
7.Run another Defrag.

Detailed information:
Windows XP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Overview

Release Notes for Windows XP Service Pack 3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936929
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...1/relnotes.htm
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...playlang=en&tm

The hard disk space requirements for Windows XP Service Pack 3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947311

Some third-party programs may experience a change in functionality after
you install Windows XP Service Pack 3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947309

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

How to obtain the latest Windows XP service pack
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389

Create an Automated System Recovery set using Backup
http://technet2.microsoft.com/window....mspx?mfr=true

How to Set up and Use Automated System Recovery in Windows XP

Installing Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3)
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/w.../cc164204.aspx

Windows XP Service Pack 3 - ISO-9660 CD Image File:

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals
and Developers
(Single installations for PCs can use the same file)

Recover from a system failure using Automated System Recovery
http://technet2.microsoft.com/window....mspx?mfr=true

Error message when you try to install Windows XP Service Pack 3: "Access is
denied" or "Service Pack installation did not complete"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377

If you don't like the answers provided here go to:
Use this forum for all issues related to Windows XP SP3
http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/...2010&SiteID=17

Good luck

Vicki

      23rd May 2008
Hi Elle,

I'm not a computer guru but I installed Service Pack 3 today and my computer
wouldn't even boot up afterward. It kept trying so I finally had to go into
Safe Mode and do a System Restore back to yesterday. It's fine now - I won't
be reinstalling it.

"Elle" wrote:

> Hi guys.
>
> I know you’re probably getting tired of this question but I am having a hard
> time deciding what to do next. I am using a windows XP Home edition with SP2
> and I want to know in layman’s term what changes/problems/limitations you
> can expect or encounter when you install SP3, for the reason that I am having
> a hard time understanding some of the information I’ve found and read [I will
> appreciate detailed information (such as speed, etc.)]. Is it really
> necessary to upgrade to SP3?
>
> Many Thanks.

Stu

      23rd May 2008
Hi Vicki

Sorry to hear about that. Did you follow MS`s recommendations available

"Vicki" wrote:

> Hi Elle,
>
> I'm not a computer guru but I installed Service Pack 3 today and my computer
> wouldn't even boot up afterward. It kept trying so I finally had to go into
> Safe Mode and do a System Restore back to yesterday. It's fine now - I won't
> be reinstalling it.
>
> "Elle" wrote:
>
> > Hi guys.
> >
> > I know you’re probably getting tired of this question but I am having a hard
> > time deciding what to do next. I am using a windows XP Home edition with SP2
> > and I want to know in layman’s term what changes/problems/limitations you
> > can expect or encounter when you install SP3, for the reason that I am having
> > a hard time understanding some of the information I’ve found and read [I will
> > appreciate detailed information (such as speed, etc.)]. Is it really
> > necessary to upgrade to SP3?
> >
> > Many Thanks.

Bill Sanderson

      23rd May 2008
Vicki - you need to call Microsoft and get help with this. Otherwise, a
year from now, you will no longer be receiving security patches for your SP2
machine, which will be beyond support life.

In the U.S. or Canada, call 1-866=pcsafety.

They can help you with this. Additionally, it will help other customers if
your problem turns out to be one previously unknown.

So--please help yourself and other customers, and call the support line.

If you are not in the U.S. or Canada, call the local number for paid support
and ask for the free support for security patch or virus issues

"Vicki" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Elle,
>
> I'm not a computer guru but I installed Service Pack 3 today and my
> computer
> wouldn't even boot up afterward. It kept trying so I finally had to go
> into
> Safe Mode and do a System Restore back to yesterday. It's fine now - I
> won't
> be reinstalling it.
>
> "Elle" wrote:
>
>> Hi guys.
>>
>> I know you’re probably getting tired of this question but I am having a
>> hard
>> time deciding what to do next. I am using a windows XP Home edition with
>> SP2
>> and I want to know in layman’s term what changes/problems/limitations
>> you
>> can expect or encounter when you install SP3, for the reason that I am
>> having
>> a hard time understanding some of the information I’ve found and read [I
>> will
>> appreciate detailed information (such as speed, etc.)]. Is it really
>> necessary to upgrade to SP3?
>>
>> Many Thanks.

Robinb

      23rd May 2008
and to add to Kayman
I found less complications if you download the xp3 file to your computer
Download the exe sp3 at
and save it to your hd

1. Run Ccleaner to clean out all temp and temporally internet files<

2. Go to Documents and Settings/(your username), Local Settings/ Temp

A. Empty all the .temp files that are listed. The ones that
have today date will not remove.

3. Empty the Recycle Bin

4. Run your AVG antivirus Program and remove any viruses or spyware.

5. Update & Run Adaware 2007 (if you have it), Spybot Search and
Destroy, Superantispyware

6. Put the cursor on the desktop where there are no icons and right
click. Highlight and click ?Properties?

Go to the Screensaver Tab- Click the down arrow until you see ?None? and
make sure it shows up in the box.

Next click on the ?Power? tab

Make sure all of the boxes have ?Never? and click ?OK?

7. Check Disk and Defrag the computer.

Before doing this, everything on the right side of the
taskbar that has an ?Exit? or a ?Close? needs to be removed.

8. Once you have Defragged the computer restart the computer.

9. When the computer loads up- you must again need to remove the
ones on the right side of the taskbar (ONLY if it has an EXIT or a CLOSE.)

A. If you have AVG 8.0 you will need to open the program. Uncheck the
Resident Shield. Disable the firewall if you have the Pro version. Close
the program. Then right click on the icon in the right side of the task bar
and click EXIST

10. Set a System Restore Point prior to installing the service pack.

11, Unplug your computer from the internet.

12. Now go to the folder where you put the exe of sp3 and double click it

13. Follow the instructions that sp3 gives. Don't be alarmed on some
computers it could take up to an hour to completely install and don't be
alarmed once the computer reboots because it could take a few minutes to
load up.

14. Once everything looks fine- check around and make sure things are ok-
re connect back to the internet and see if you have internet service.

15. Defrag the computer again and reboot. (this is just so everything
that got moved around goes back in place)

If you follow these instructions it should load fine.

I have put sp3 on 25 computers this way and had no problems with any of
them.

I put it on one computer running an amd processor but i did jeesper's test
first before i put it on
robin
news:(E-Mail Removed)...