Service Control Manager - The MTCDIO service failed to start...

=?Utf-8?B?UmF0bXVmZmlu?=

      4th Feb 2005
For every startup of my notebook, this message is recorded in the error log:

Service Control Manager - The MTCDIO service failed to start due to the
following error : The system cannot find the file specified

I've been told this shows when there's something wrong with the windows
operating system files but havn't been able to find out how to fix it. I run
Windows XP Pro with SP2. Any helpful information would be much appreciated,
thanks.

Ramesh, MS-MVP

      4th Feb 2005
Hi Ratmuffin,

"MTCDIO" service is not a standard Windows XP service. In this case, the DLL
which implements the service seems to be missing. To remove the orphaned
service entry, open Regedit and navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\<Service name>

Backup the registry before deleting an entry, especially when modifying a
service entry.

Complete registry backup using "ERUNT":
http://home.t-online.de/home/lars.hederer/erunt/

Silent Runners - Installing & Using ERUNT:
http://www.silentrunners.org/sr_eruntuse.html

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Ratmuffin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> For every startup of my notebook, this message is recorded in the error
> log:
>
> Service Control Manager - The MTCDIO service failed to start due to the
> following error : The system cannot find the file specified
>
> I've been told this shows when there's something wrong with the windows
> operating system files but havn't been able to find out how to fix it. I
> run
> Windows XP Pro with SP2. Any helpful information would be much
> appreciated,
> thanks.

=?Utf-8?B?UmF0bXVmZmlu?=

      4th Feb 2005
Thanks, I'll try that. By the way, will anything be wrong with my system
while it remains on there?

=?Utf-8?B?UmF0bXVmZmlu?=

      4th Feb 2005
And, one more thing. I've never deleted a Registry entry before. Do i simply
delete the whole folder named MTCDIO or is there something else I need to do.
Thanks again.

Ramesh, MS-MVP

      4th Feb 2005
>> Do i simply delete the whole folder named MTCDIO

Yes, if that entry exists under the registry branch that I stated earlier.
Before that be sure to have a complete registry backup, in case.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"Ratmuffin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> And, one more thing. I've never deleted a Registry entry before. Do i
> simply
> delete the whole folder named MTCDIO or is there something else I need to
> do.
> Thanks again.

Ramesh, MS-MVP

      4th Feb 2005
It may cause startup delay, as XP tries to load the service and fails,
everytime.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"Ratmuffin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks, I'll try that. By the way, will anything be wrong with my system
> while it remains on there?

=?Utf-8?B?UmF0bXVmZmlu?=

      5th Feb 2005
The MTCDIO Service - what is the service and why is it on my computer? Should
it be working?

Ramesh, MS-MVP

      5th Feb 2005
I have no idea which application MTCDIO is related to, but it's not a XP
default service. For more information on that particular service,
double-click the Service entry (if listed in Services.msc) and note down the
Image path. That filename may give you a clue.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"Ratmuffin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The MTCDIO Service - what is the service and why is it on my computer?
> Should
> it be working?

=?Utf-8?B?UmF0bXVmZmlu?=

      6th Feb 2005
The image path for the MTCDIO entry is
System32\DRIVERS\MTCDIO.sys

By doing a search of the computer, I also came up with MTCDIO files under
the folder
C:\DRV\OTHER

Looking at the description of some of the files I've found in the
\System32\Folder I've discovered that:
"MTCDIO.sys" is a Port Function Driver
"MTCDIO.dll" is an IO Function DLL
"unMTCDIO.exe" is a "Wireless (FNF1) uninstallation"
"ICON.exe" is an "Icon Application for Wireless" - this icon also shows in
the system tray as a "Wireless LAN Connection Indicator"

I hope this sheds some light on what the MTCDIO service is. Thanks again.

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> I have no idea which application MTCDIO is related to, but it's not a XP
> default service. For more information on that particular service,
> double-click the Service entry (if listed in Services.msc) and note down the
> Image path. That filename may give you a clue.
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org