Server not found

ms

      7th Jul 2010
My firewall takes a good bit of setting up to allow for my various
programs. One day, I noticed the firewall was not in System Tray, so I went
back to a older registry and rebooted.

Since that time, the firewall is back to normal, and I can still dial up to
my ISP server, but my browser and newsreader at any address give the
message:
server not found.

Reboots do not fix this. I have never touched the host file. Disabling the
firewall do not fix this.

Advice?

ms

Greg Russell

      8th Jul 2010
In news:(E-Mail Removed),
ms <(E-Mail Removed)> typed:
> My firewall takes a good bit of setting up to allow for my various
> programs. One day, I noticed the firewall was not in System Tray, so
> I went back to a older registry and rebooted.
>
> Since that time, the firewall is back to normal, and I can still dial
> up to my ISP server, but my browser and newsreader at any address
> give the message:
> server not found.
>
> Reboots do not fix this. I have never touched the host file.
> Disabling the firewall do not fix this.
>
> Advice?

Are we supposed to play guessing games about which firewall you're using?

none

      8th Jul 2010
That error can be caused by a multitude of issues. From your description
it's obvious the registry got hosed. Question is why? Thus some questions;

Did your PC experience a crash prior to noticing the firewall missing?
Before loosing the firewall did it shutdown properly?
Did you have internet access even WITHOUT the firewall?
Does the local network work?
Have you tried disabling the firewall?
Have checked for malware, viruses etc?
Is your network wired or wireless?
etc. etc. etc.

one can go one and on with questions so it seems we will need much more of
the details from you!

John John -MVP

      8th Jul 2010
ms wrote:
> My firewall takes a good bit of setting up to allow for my various
> programs. One day, I noticed the firewall was not in System Tray, so I went
> back to a older registry and rebooted.
>
> Since that time, the firewall is back to normal, and I can still dial up to
> my ISP server, but my browser and newsreader at any address give the
> message:
> server not found.
>
> Reboots do not fix this. I have never touched the host file. Disabling the
> firewall do not fix this.
>
> Advice?

Make sure that TCP/IP is correctly configured for your DNS server, most
ISPs will have you set this to "Obtain DNS server address
automatically", if not your ISP will provide you with their DNS server
address. See here for more help:
http://www.support.psi.com/support/c...tcpip.html#dns

John

ms

      9th Jul 2010
John John -MVP <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:trrZn.8011$(E-Mail Removed):

> ms wrote:
>> My firewall takes a good bit of setting up to allow for my various
>> programs. One day, I noticed the firewall was not in System Tray, so
>> I went back to a older registry and rebooted.
>>
>> Since that time, the firewall is back to normal, and I can still dial
>> up to my ISP server, but my browser and newsreader at any address
>> give the message:
>> server not found.
>>
>> Reboots do not fix this. I have never touched the host file.
>> Disabling the firewall do not fix this.
>>
>> Advice?

> Make sure that TCP/IP is correctly configured for your DNS server,
> most ISPs will have you set this to "Obtain DNS server address
> automatically", if not your ISP will provide you with their DNS server
> address. See here for more help:
> http://www.support.psi.com/support/c.../2000/win2k_tc
> pip.html#dns
>
> John

Thanks, John, a good link, bookmarked it. I will check the W2K TCP/IP
settings. If it changed, that's interesting.

The other post listed many issues, but in this case the only change was an
older registry- yet, that can have a lot of possibilities.

I'm glad you answered, I have not been back here in 6 months, and there
seemed to be very little activity when I posted.

ms

John John -MVP

      9th Jul 2010
ms wrote:
> John John -MVP <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:trrZn.8011$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> ms wrote:
>>> My firewall takes a good bit of setting up to allow for my various
>>> programs. One day, I noticed the firewall was not in System Tray, so
>>> I went back to a older registry and rebooted.
>>>
>>> Since that time, the firewall is back to normal, and I can still dial
>>> up to my ISP server, but my browser and newsreader at any address
>>> give the message:
>>> server not found.
>>>
>>> Reboots do not fix this. I have never touched the host file.
>>> Disabling the firewall do not fix this.
>>>
>>> Advice?

>> Make sure that TCP/IP is correctly configured for your DNS server,
>> most ISPs will have you set this to "Obtain DNS server address
>> automatically", if not your ISP will provide you with their DNS server
>> address. See here for more help:
>> http://www.support.psi.com/support/c.../2000/win2k_tc
>> pip.html#dns
>>
>> John
>>

> Thanks, John, a good link, bookmarked it. I will check the W2K TCP/IP
> settings. If it changed, that's interesting.

You can also use ipconfig /all for information and the nslookup command
can also be quite useful.

> The other post listed many issues, but in this case the only change was an
> older registry- yet, that can have a lot of possibilities.

I didn't say anything about that but reverting to an old registry file
is seldom a very good idea. Using anything older than a week or two is
usually more trouble than anything else!

> I'm glad you answered, I have not been back here in 6 months, and there
> seemed to be very little activity when I posted.

Microsoft is closing their NNTP servers, they're abandoning newsgroups
in favour of web forums, by this fall their servers will be gone. This
group was closed at the beginning of June (on their server) and many of
the regulars who were posting via the MS server have left when the group
closed. I have set an account on another (non MS) newsgroups server to
keep an eye on the groups that still interest me, but without traffic
from the MS server the groups may just wither and die...

John

ms

      9th Jul 2010
John John -MVP <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:vvuZn.16650$(E-Mail Removed):

> ms wrote:
>> John John -MVP <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:trrZn.8011$(E-Mail Removed):

>>> Make sure that TCP/IP is correctly configured for your DNS server,
>>> most ISPs will have you set this to "Obtain DNS server address
>>> automatically", if not your ISP will provide you with their DNS
>>> server address. See here for more help:
>>> http://www.support.psi.com/support/c...ip/2000/win2k_
>>> tc pip.html#dns
>>>
>>> John
>>>

>> Thanks, John, a good link, bookmarked it. I will check the W2K TCP/IP
>> settings. If it changed, that's interesting.

I disabled the firewall to be sure that is not causing the problem.

I have dialup. I read through the data from that link, and it seems to
primarily be how to first setup TCP/IP. In my case, it was all set up
before, now it still dials up normally, normal connection as before, run Fx
browser, but on any site, get the error "server does not find Google, etc".

Am I missing something in that article?

> You can also use ipconfig /all for information and the nslookup
> command can also be quite useful.

ns lookup: default server unknown, address 127.0.0.1 which I expected.

ipconfig/all: can't find ipconfig ??

>> The other post listed many issues, but in this case the only change
>> was an older registry- yet, that can have a lot of possibilities.

> I didn't say anything about that but reverting to an old registry file
> is seldom a very good idea. Using anything older than a week or two
> is usually more trouble than anything else!
>

>> I'm glad you answered, I have not been back here in 6 months, and
>> there seemed to be very little activity when I posted.

> Microsoft is closing their NNTP servers, they're abandoning newsgroups
> in favour of web forums, by this fall their servers will be gone.
> This group was closed at the beginning of June (on their server) and
> many of the regulars who were posting via the MS server have left when
> the group closed. I have set an account on another (non MS)
> newsgroups server to keep an eye on the groups that still interest me,
> but without traffic from the MS server the groups may just wither and
> die...
>
> John

Your last comment was a surprise, as I haven't looked at a newsgroup for 6
months. I did some browsing today, and the times are changing. In the past,
I remember the excellent help I got from you, Dave Patrick, Buffalo,
Pegasus, Ben, and others. I guess that's all history now. Some of us
ordinary mortals will be scrambling from now on.

I will look back later today, and try to browse the rest of the newsgroup
before it goes.

ms

John John -MVP

      10th Jul 2010
ms wrote:
> John John -MVP <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:vvuZn.16650$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> ms wrote:
>>> John John -MVP <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>> news:trrZn.8011$(E-Mail Removed):

>>> Thanks, John, a good link, bookmarked it. I will check the W2K TCP/IP
>>> settings. If it changed, that's interesting.

> I disabled the firewall to be sure that is not causing the problem.
>
> I have dialup. I read through the data from that link, and it seems to
> primarily be how to first setup TCP/IP. In my case, it was all set up
> before, now it still dials up normally, normal connection as before, run Fx
> browser, but on any site, get the error "server does not find Google, etc".
>
> Am I missing something in that article?
>> You can also use ipconfig /all for information and the nslookup
>> command can also be quite useful.
>>

> ns lookup: default server unknown, address 127.0.0.1 which I expected.

That is your problem, your TCP/IP DNS setting is pointing to the local
host. The nslookup command should point to either your router (if you
use one, which I don't think that you are using) or it should point to a
valid DNS server address. Your modem will still work and you will still
be able to establish a connection to your ISP but you are getting these
"Server not found" errors because there is no DNS server to provide
Domain Name resolution. Set the DNS setting to "Obtain DNS server
address automatically", if that doesn't work ask your ISP for their DNS
server address. Or try a free public DNS server like Open DNS or
vnsc-pri.sys.gtei.net or even the Google DNS server.

Open DNS server addresses:

208.67.222.222
208.67.220.220

Google DNS server addresses:

8.8.8.8
8.8.4.4

vnsc-pri.sys.gtei.net DNS addresses:

4.2.2.1
4.2.2.2
4.2.2.3
4.2.2.4
4.2.2.5
4.2.2.6

Note that your ISP's DNS server is usually the one nearest to you and
the fastest one available... but not always, sometimes folks get faster
Domain Name resolution when they try a different DNS server than the one
provided by the ISP.

> ipconfig/all: can't find ipconfig ??

You ran ipconfig /all while you were using nslookup in interactive mode,
for lack of a better explanation you were inside the nslookup console
and not at the Command prompt as such. To exit the nslookup interactive
mode you have to type EXIT at the prompt, this returns you to the
Command Prompt proper. Start a new command session and try the ipconfig
/all command again while at C:\> prompt.

John

ms

      10th Jul 2010
John John -MVP <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:QsPZn.182$(E-Mail Removed):

> ms wrote:
>> John John -MVP <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:vvuZn.16650$(E-Mail Removed):

>> I disabled the firewall to be sure that is not causing the problem.
>>
>> I have dialup. I read through the data from that link, and it seems
>> to primarily be how to first setup TCP/IP. In my case, it was all set
>> up before, now it still dials up normally, normal connection as
>> before, run Fx browser, but on any site, get the error "server does
>> not find Google, etc".
>>
>> Am I missing something in that article?
>>> You can also use ipconfig /all for information and the nslookup
>>> command can also be quite useful.
>>>

>> ns lookup: default server unknown, address 127.0.0.1 which I
>> expected.

> That is your problem, your TCP/IP DNS setting is pointing to the local
> host. The nslookup command should point to either your router (if you
> use one, which I don't think that you are using) or it should point to
> a valid DNS server address. Your modem will still work and you will
> still be able to establish a connection to your ISP but you are
> getting these "Server not found" errors because there is no DNS server
> to provide Domain Name resolution. Set the DNS setting to "Obtain DNS
> server address automatically", if that doesn't work ask your ISP for
> their DNS server address. Or try a free public DNS server like Open
> DNS or vnsc-pri.sys.gtei.net or even the Google DNS server.
>
> Open DNS server addresses:
>
> 208.67.222.222
> 208.67.220.220
>
> Google DNS server addresses:
>
> 8.8.8.8
> 8.8.4.4
>
> vnsc-pri.sys.gtei.net DNS addresses:
>
> 4.2.2.1
> 4.2.2.2
> 4.2.2.3
> 4.2.2.4
> 4.2.2.5
> 4.2.2.6
>
> Note that your ISP's DNS server is usually the one nearest to you and
> the fastest one available... but not always, sometimes folks get
> faster Domain Name resolution when they try a different DNS server
> than the one provided by the ISP.
>

>> ipconfig/all: can't find ipconfig ??

> You ran ipconfig /all while you were using nslookup in interactive
> mode, for lack of a better explanation you were inside the nslookup
> console and not at the Command prompt as such. To exit the nslookup
> interactive mode you have to type EXIT at the prompt, this returns you
> to the Command Prompt proper. Start a new command session and try the
> ipconfig /all command again while at C:\> prompt.
>
> John

Thanks and I will do the above tomorrow, everything is slower at my age.

This may be the last conversation I have with an expert, the way things are
going. If I may, a new subject.

Not W2K or even OS-related. I have a used XP machine, the CD drive only
reads audio CD's. It will not read my data CDs. It works OK for an audio
CD, but thats all. Its a Sony drive, AFAIK they never need unique driver
files, the OS default drivers usually work.

Any comment on this?

ms

John John -MVP

      10th Jul 2010
ms wrote:
> [...]

>> mode, for lack of a better explanation you were inside the nslookup
>> console and not at the Command prompt as such. To exit the nslookup
>> interactive mode you have to type EXIT at the prompt, this returns you
>> to the Command Prompt proper. Start a new command session and try the
>> ipconfig /all command again while at C:\> prompt.
>>
>> John
>>

> Thanks and I will do the above tomorrow, everything is slower at my age.
>
> This may be the last conversation I have with an expert, the way things are
> going. If I may, a new subject.
>
> Not W2K or even OS-related. I have a used XP machine, the CD drive only
> reads audio CD's. It will not read my data CDs. It works OK for an audio
> CD, but thats all. Its a Sony drive, AFAIK they never need unique driver
> files, the OS default drivers usually work.

Can the CDs be read in another machine? Were you ever able to read the
CDs in the Sony drive? Were the CDs written on the machine in question?
Were the CDs written with packet writting software, drag and drop
software like Nero's In-CD or Roxio's Direct CD or