Server Error - Port 80

David Perry

      23rd Mar 2004
---------------------------
Microsoft FrontPage
---------------------------
Server error: Error 2 opening registry key "SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared
Tools\Web Server Extensions\Ports\Port 80".
---------------------------
OK
---------------------------

I posted this error before, but failed to check the newsgroup daily. The
message and replies have since disappeared.

How can I correct this error? This occurs when I publish my web using http.
I can still put my pages out using ftp, but I know that does not provide me
with all the Server Extensions and other things that are maintained when
using http.

I assume that something has been changed in my registry but I don't know
how.

Thanks.
David Perry

Steve Easton

      23rd Mar 2004
What version of Windows and what version of FrontPage??

--
Steve Easton
Microsoft MVP FrontPage

"David Perry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> ---------------------------
> Microsoft FrontPage
> ---------------------------
> Server error: Error 2 opening registry key "SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared
> Tools\Web Server Extensions\Ports\Port 80".
> ---------------------------
> OK
> ---------------------------
>
> I posted this error before, but failed to check the newsgroup daily. The
> message and replies have since disappeared.
>
> How can I correct this error? This occurs when I publish my web using

http.
> I can still put my pages out using ftp, but I know that does not provide

me
> with all the Server Extensions and other things that are maintained when
> using http.
>
> I assume that something has been changed in my registry but I don't know
> how.
>
> Thanks.
> David Perry

David Perry

      23rd Mar 2004
Windows XP Home and FrontPage 2000.

David
"Steve Easton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> What version of Windows and what version of FrontPage??
>

> --
> Steve Easton
> Microsoft MVP FrontPage
> 95isalive
> This site is best viewed............
> .......................with a computer
>
> "David Perry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > ---------------------------
> > Microsoft FrontPage
> > ---------------------------
> > Server error: Error 2 opening registry key "SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared
> > Tools\Web Server Extensions\Ports\Port 80".
> > ---------------------------
> > OK
> > ---------------------------
> >
> > I posted this error before, but failed to check the newsgroup daily. The
> > message and replies have since disappeared.
> >
> > How can I correct this error? This occurs when I publish my web using

> http.
> > I can still put my pages out using ftp, but I know that does not provide

> me
> > with all the Server Extensions and other things that are maintained when
> > using http.
> >
> > I assume that something has been changed in my registry but I don't know
> > how.
> >
> > Thanks.
> > David Perry

Stefan B Rusynko

      23rd Mar 2004
Use of FTP has corrupted your host FP SE
- have your host run a repair before you attempt to publish again
Make sure you don't have something on your PC (like Yahoo messenger or a Firewall) blocking Port 80

To correct your local problems have you also tried the usual repairs in the sequence below:
1) In Windows Explorer Find and delete all FP Temp Files
Usually in C:\WINDOWS\Temp and
C:\Documents and Settings\<USER>\Local Settings\Temp
2) In Windows Explorer Find and delete all hidden *.web files
Usually in C:\Documents and Settings\<USER>\Application Data\Microsoft\Web Server Extensions\Cache
3) Run a Repair on IE
(see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=318378 )
4) Install all Service Packs for your OS, IE, MS Office and your Video card
(Windows Update and Office Update sites, plus your video card supplier site)
5) Open FP and Disable or Uninstall any FP Addins,
6) Open your FP Web/Site and run a Tools Recalculate Hyperlinks

"David Perry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:OYL7c.608$(E-Mail Removed)...
| Windows XP Home and FrontPage 2000.
|
| David
| "Steve Easton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
| > What version of Windows and what version of FrontPage??
| >

| > --
| > Steve Easton
| > Microsoft MVP FrontPage
| > 95isalive
| > This site is best viewed............
| > .......................with a computer
| >
| > "David Perry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| > > ---------------------------
| > > Microsoft FrontPage
| > > ---------------------------
| > > Server error: Error 2 opening registry key "SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared
| > > Tools\Web Server Extensions\Ports\Port 80".
| > > ---------------------------
| > > OK
| > > ---------------------------
| > >
| > > I posted this error before, but failed to check the newsgroup daily. The
| > > message and replies have since disappeared.
| > >
| > > How can I correct this error? This occurs when I publish my web using
| > http.
| > > I can still put my pages out using ftp, but I know that does not provide
| > me
| > > with all the Server Extensions and other things that are maintained when
| > > using http.
| > >
| > > I assume that something has been changed in my registry but I don't know
| > > how.
| > >
| > > Thanks.
| > > David Perry

David Perry

      24th Mar 2004
Appreciate the information. I have walked through all of the steps but still
get the error indicated concerning Registry Key. I continue to get this
error message after removing my firewall, even, to make sure that it is not
blocking Port 80.

Server error: Error 2 opening registry key "SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared
Tools\Web Server Extensions\Ports\Port 80".

Does this server error refer to my PC or to my ISP?

Is there a way to completely reinstall FrontPage, like there is for IE (see
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=318378 )?

Thanks for your information and help.

David Perry

"Stefan B Rusynko" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Use of FTP has corrupted your host FP SE
> - have your host run a repair before you attempt to publish again
> Make sure you don't have something on your PC (like Yahoo messenger or a

Firewall) blocking Port 80

> To correct your local problems have you also tried the usual repairs in

the sequence below:
> 1) In Windows Explorer Find and delete all FP Temp Files
> Usually in C:\WINDOWS\Temp and
> C:\Documents and Settings\<USER>\Local Settings\Temp
> 2) In Windows Explorer Find and delete all hidden *.web files
> Usually in C:\Documents and Settings\<USER>\Application Data\Microsoft\Web

Server Extensions\Cache
> 3) Run a Repair on IE
> (see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=318378 )
> 4) Install all Service Packs for your OS, IE, MS Office and your Video

card
> (Windows Update and Office Update sites, plus your video card supplier

site)
> 5) Open FP and Disable or Uninstall any FP Addins,
> 6) Open your FP Web/Site and run a Tools Recalculate Hyperlinks

> SBR @ ENJOY (-: [ Microsoft MVP - FrontPage ]
> "Warning - Using the F1 Key will not break anything!" (-;
> To find the best Newsgroup for FrontPage support see:
> http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp
>

> "David Perry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:OYL7c.608$(E-Mail Removed)...
> | Windows XP Home and FrontPage 2000.
> |
> | David
> | "Steve Easton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> | news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> | > What version of Windows and what version of FrontPage??
> | >

> | > --
> | > Steve Easton
> | > Microsoft MVP FrontPage
> | > 95isalive
> | > This site is best viewed............
> | > .......................with a computer
> | >
> | > "David Perry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> | > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared

The

using
> | > http.

provide
> | > me

when

know

David Perry

      25th Mar 2004
The problem has been solved. Thanks to Stefan, I had my ISP reset FrontPage
Server Extensions and that resolved the problem. I appreciate the help that
all offered me on this problem.