Server 2003 access share security

Jon Jones

      9th Feb 2006
I have a client with Windows Server 2003 SBS installed. They have a
directory shared that is accessed by both Windows 2000, Windows XP and
Macintosh clients for production files.
The problem they are having is that they cannot change file or folder names.
They can create new ones and change existing data in them, but they cannot
rename them if they try these are the errors they get:

Macintosh - You do not have sufficient access priveleges to rename the item

PC - Error renaming the file or folder. Cannot rename " ": access is denied

I have checked the permission and the security on the share and nothing is
out of whack. They should be able to rename the files and folders. The
last time this happened I removed the share and then reshared the folder.
This allowed them to rename items, but the share has again stopped allowing
them to rename.

I am at a loss as to what is happening. None of the users are making
changes to the security or share settings, unless it is happening by
accident on the mac side.

I am hoping that someone has seen this before and has a solution. Any help
will be greatly appreciated.

Adam

      9th Feb 2006
"Jon Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:T8zGf.6297$(E-Mail Removed):

> I have a client with Windows Server 2003 SBS installed. They have a
> directory shared that is accessed by both Windows 2000, Windows XP and
> Macintosh clients for production files.
> The problem they are having is that they cannot change file or folder
> names. They can create new ones and change existing data in them, but
> they cannot rename them if they try these are the errors they get:
>
> Macintosh - You do not have sufficient access priveleges to rename the
> item
>
> PC - Error renaming the file or folder. Cannot rename " ": access is
> denied
>
> I have checked the permission and the security on the share and
> nothing is out of whack. They should be able to rename the files and
> folders. The last time this happened I removed the share and then
> reshared the folder. This allowed them to rename items, but the share
> has again stopped allowing them to rename.
>
> I am at a loss as to what is happening. None of the users are making
> changes to the security or share settings, unless it is happening by
> accident on the mac side.
>
> I am hoping that someone has seen this before and has a solution. Any
> help will be greatly appreciated.

Check computer management on the server/workstation with the shared folder
and see if anyone is accessing the file or folder at the time you are
attempting to rename it.

Jon Jones

      12th Feb 2006

"Adam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> "Jon Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:T8zGf.6297$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> I have a client with Windows Server 2003 SBS installed. They have a
>> directory shared that is accessed by both Windows 2000, Windows XP and
>> Macintosh clients for production files.
>> The problem they are having is that they cannot change file or folder
>> names. They can create new ones and change existing data in them, but
>> they cannot rename them if they try these are the errors they get:
>>
>> Macintosh - You do not have sufficient access priveleges to rename the
>> item
>>
>> PC - Error renaming the file or folder. Cannot rename " ": access is
>> denied
>>
>> I have checked the permission and the security on the share and
>> nothing is out of whack. They should be able to rename the files and
>> folders. The last time this happened I removed the share and then
>> reshared the folder. This allowed them to rename items, but the share
>> has again stopped allowing them to rename.
>>
>> I am at a loss as to what is happening. None of the users are making
>> changes to the security or share settings, unless it is happening by
>> accident on the mac side.
>>
>> I am hoping that someone has seen this before and has a solution. Any
>> help will be greatly appreciated.
>>

> Check computer management on the server/workstation with the shared folder
> and see if anyone is accessing the file or folder at the time you are
> attempting to rename it.

I will check with that, but I don't expect that any one is, there are not
that many users and we have checked this using random files and folders when
it happens.