Serious security flaw found in IE

Pat Willener

      17th Dec 2008
Thank you for the links below.

mae wrote:
> [...]
> | >

> | > "Microsoft is continuing its investigation of public reports of attacks
> | > against a new vulnerability in Internet Explorer," said the firm in a
> | > security advisory alert about the flaw.
> | >
> | > Microsoft says it has detected attacks against IE 7.0 but said the
> | > "underlying vulnerability" was present in all versions of the browser.
> | >
> | > Other browsers, such as Firefox, Opera, Chrome, Safari, are not
> vulnerable
> | > to the flaw Microsoft has identified.
> | >
> | > Browser bait
> | >
> | > "In this case, hackers found the hole before Microsoft did," said Rick
> | > Ferguson, senior security advisor at Trend Micro. "This is never a good
> | > thing."
> | >
> | > As many as 10,000 websites have been compromised since the vulnerability
> | > was discovered, he said.
> | >
> | > "What we've seen from the exploit so far is it stealing game passwords,
> | > but it's inevitable that it will be adapted by criminals," he said.
> "It's
> | > just a question of modifying the payload the trojan installs."
> | >

> | > Said Mr Ferguson: "If users can find an alternative browser, then that's
> | > good mitigation against the threat."
> | >
> | > But Microsoft counselled against taking such action.
> | >
> | > "I cannot recommend people switch due to this one flaw," said John
> Curran,
> | > head of Microsoft UK's Windows group.
> | >
> | > He added: "We're trying to get this resolved as soon as possible.
> | >
> | > "At present, this exploit only seems to affect 0.02% of internet sites,"
> | > said Mr Curran. "In terms of vulnerability, it only seems to be
> affecting
> | > IE7 users at the moment, but could well encompass other versions in
> time."
> | >
> | > Richard Cox, chief information officer of anti-spam body The Spamhaus
> | > Project and an expert on privacy and cyber security, echoed Trend
> Micro's
> | > warning.
> | >
> | > "It won't be long before someone reverse engineers this exploit for more
> | > fraudulent purposes. Trend Mico's advice [of switching to an alternative
> | > web browser] is very sensible," he said.
> | >
> | > PC Pro magazine's security editor, Darien Graham-Smith, said that there
> | > was a virtual arms race going on, with hackers always on the look out
> for
> | > new vulnerabilities.
> | >
> | > "The message needs to get out that this malicious code can be planted on
> | > any web site, so simple careful browsing isn't enough."
> | >
> | > "It's a shame Microsoft have not been able to fix this more quickly, but
> | > letting people know about this flaw was the right thing to do. If you
> keep
> | > flaws like this quiet, people are put at risk without knowing it."
> | >
> | > "Every browser is susceptible to vulnerabilities from time to time. It's
> | > fine to say 'don't use Internet Explorer' for now, but other browsers
> may
> | > well find themselves in a similar situation," he added.

Stu

      17th Dec 2008
Really? Last time I tried WU pdate thru Firefox many months ago I got
something like this:

"Thank you for your interest in obtaining updates from our site.

To use this site, you must be running Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 or later.

To upgrade to the latest version of the browser, go to the Internet Explorer
Downloads website.

If you prefer to use a different web browser, you can obtain updates from
the Microsoft Download Center or you can stay up to date with the latest
critical and security updates by using Automatic Updates. To turn on
Automatic Updates:

1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
2. Depending on which Control Panel view you use, Classic or Category, do
one of the following:
* Click System, and then click the Automatic Updates tab.
* Click Performance and Maintenance, click System, and then click
the Automatic Updates tab.
3. Click the option that you want. Make sure Automatic Updates is not
turned off.

Didn`t see an `IE tab add on` either.

Stu

"Pat Willener" wrote:

> [...]
> >> fraudulent purposes. Trend Mico's advice [of switching to an alternative
> >> web browser] is very sensible," he said.
> >>
> >> PC Pro magazine's security editor, Darien Graham-Smith, said that there
> >> was a virtual arms race going on, with hackers always on the look out for
> >> new vulnerabilities.
> >>
> >> "The message needs to get out that this malicious code can be planted on
> >> any web site, so simple careful browsing isn't enough."
> >>
> >> "It's a shame Microsoft have not been able to fix this more quickly, but
> >> letting people know about this flaw was the right thing to do. If you keep
> >> flaws like this quiet, people are put at risk without knowing it."
> >>
> >> "Every browser is susceptible to vulnerabilities from time to time. It's
> >> fine to say 'don't use Internet Explorer' for now, but other browsers may
> >> well find themselves in a similar situation," he added.

Bill Sanderson

      17th Dec 2008
A patch for this will be issued tomorrow, as others in this thead have noted
(oops--today!)

I'd advise installing this patch.

That's what I plan to do.

--

> [...]
> fraudulent purposes. Trend Mico's advice [of switching to an alternative
> web browser] is very sensible," he said.
>
> PC Pro magazine's security editor, Darien Graham-Smith, said that there
> was a virtual arms race going on, with hackers always on the look out for
> new vulnerabilities.
>
> "The message needs to get out that this malicious code can be planted on
> any web site, so simple careful browsing isn't enough."
>
> "It's a shame Microsoft have not been able to fix this more quickly, but
> letting people know about this flaw was the right thing to do. If you keep
> flaws like this quiet, people are put at risk without knowing it."
>
> "Every browser is susceptible to vulnerabilities from time to time. It's
> fine to say 'don't use Internet Explorer' for now, but other browsers may
> well find themselves in a similar situation," he added.

Panic over Bill? You know, maybe I`m too laid back with these security
issues. I can never understand why there is this tendency for a `knee jerk`
reaction with associated buzz on these NGs - like bees which have just been
awoken from their hives. Everything buzzing around (deliberating and
speculating) while someone works quietly in the background resolving the
issue. Perhaps there are times when ignorance is bliss ;)

Stu

"Bill Sanderson" wrote:

> [...]
> > fraudulent purposes. Trend Mico's advice [of switching to an alternative
> > web browser] is very sensible," he said.
> >
> > PC Pro magazine's security editor, Darien Graham-Smith, said that there
> > was a virtual arms race going on, with hackers always on the look out for
> > new vulnerabilities.
> >
> > "The message needs to get out that this malicious code can be planted on
> > any web site, so simple careful browsing isn't enough."
> >
> > "It's a shame Microsoft have not been able to fix this more quickly, but
> > letting people know about this flaw was the right thing to do. If you keep
> > flaws like this quiet, people are put at risk without knowing it."
> >
> > "Every browser is susceptible to vulnerabilities from time to time. It's
> > fine to say 'don't use Internet Explorer' for now, but other browsers may
> > well find themselves in a similar situation," he added.

Anonymous Bob

      17th Dec 2008

"Bill Sanderson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> A patch for this will be issued tomorrow, as others in this thead have

noted
> (oops--today!)
>
> I'd advise installing this patch.
>
> That's what I plan to do.

Good morning, Bill.

I have made this fix:
cacls "Program Files\Common Files\System\Ole DB\oledb32.dll" /E /P
everyone:N
as per:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec...ry/961051.mspx

Is there any need to undo that?

Bill Sanderson

      17th Dec 2008
I managed to not broadcast this issue to the users I support--but several
people either asked about it or sent me information about the issue to make
sure I knew about it.

I wasn't yet ready to put into effect the work-arounds Microsoft has
supplied, given my understanding of the extent of the risk--and I see no
point in creating fear and doubt without a clear set of actions to
prescribe.

I did write everyone this morning asking that they apply today's patch as
soon as it is convenient for them, and I'll be doing that manually on
systems I can reach when it is available.

This was a close call--the code to exploit the vulnerability was publicly
available since December 10th--meaning that anyone could pick it up and make
use of it. Fortunately, it required that you visit a web site to be
infected--it isn't something that can directly infect from an email message.

There were some innocent sites that were hacked to distribute this malicious
code--which is a good part of where the real risk lies for users who don't
frequent porn sites.

I doubt that my users were making use of the features of Internet Explorer
that would be disabled by the simpler work-arounds for this exploit, but I'm
not certain of that, and did't want to have to fix this twice--once via a
work-around and then need to reverse that and install the final patch.

I'm glad they were able to produce a patch quickly.

--

"Stu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]
>> > was a virtual arms race going on, with hackers always on the look out
>> > for
>> > new vulnerabilities.
>> >
>> > "The message needs to get out that this malicious code can be planted
>> > on
>> > any web site, so simple careful browsing isn't enough."
>> >
>> > "It's a shame Microsoft have not been able to fix this more quickly,
>> > but
>> > letting people know about this flaw was the right thing to do. If you
>> > keep
>> > flaws like this quiet, people are put at risk without knowing it."
>> >
>> > "Every browser is susceptible to vulnerabilities from time to time.
>> > It's
>> > fine to say 'don't use Internet Explorer' for now, but other browsers
>> > may
>> > well find themselves in a similar situation," he added.

I think I'm going to need to read more to say. My recollection is that the
undoing is a bit more complex than the original change.

I suspect that the answer is that you will need to undo that change in order
to restore full functionality--but whether or not you need that
functionality I'm unsure, nor am I sure what symptom you would see should
you in the future hit something that needed the functionality, but was
failing because of the permissions change.

which is a long-winded way of saying I dunno... yet.

--

"Anonymous Bob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Bill Sanderson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> A patch for this will be issued tomorrow, as others in this thead have

> noted
>> (oops--today!)
>>
>> I'd advise installing this patch.
>>
>> That's what I plan to do.

> Good morning, Bill.
>
> I have made this fix:
> cacls "Program Files\Common Files\System\Ole DB\oledb32.dll" /E /P
> everyone:N
> as per:
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec...ry/961051.mspx
>
> Is there any need to undo that?

Bill Sanderson

      17th Dec 2008
Here's an example of the impact of one of the work-arounds:

http://isc.sans.org/diary.html?storyid=5503&rss

I saw this on one machine I used yesterday. I need to speak to the usual
user of that system and find out why I saw that symptom--he's a very
non-technical person, but somebody might well have told him this was a good
thing to do.

--

"Anonymous Bob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Bill Sanderson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> A patch for this will be issued tomorrow, as others in this thead have

> noted
>> (oops--today!)
>>
>> I'd advise installing this patch.
>>
>> That's what I plan to do.

> Good morning, Bill.
>
> I have made this fix:
> cacls "Program Files\Common Files\System\Ole DB\oledb32.dll" /E /P
> everyone:N
> as per:
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec...ry/961051.mspx
>
> Is there any need to undo that?

Stu

      17th Dec 2008
Great stuff! I have to admit hearing about it a few days back thru some `Non
Microsoft employees in the IT field` I know over here. BUT like most rumours
I tend to be slightly skeptical until someone convinces me it is time to
seriously `sit up in class` and really take notice time. I feel its a
delicate balance between unecessary scarmongering and making people aware of
what they should know until there is a conclusive fix or work around if
possible - as you suggest in your post.

Lets be careful out there. HSB.

Stu

"Bill Sanderson" wrote:

> I managed to not broadcast this issue to the users I support--but several
> people either asked about it or sent me information about the issue to make
> sure I knew about it.
>
> I wasn't yet ready to put into effect the work-arounds Microsoft has
> supplied, given my understanding of the extent of the risk--and I see no
> point in creating fear and doubt without a clear set of actions to
> prescribe.
>
> I did write everyone this morning asking that they apply today's patch as
> soon as it is convenient for them, and I'll be doing that manually on
> systems I can reach when it is available.
>
> This was a close call--the code to exploit the vulnerability was publicly
> available since December 10th--meaning that anyone could pick it up and make
> use of it. Fortunately, it required that you visit a web site to be
> infected--it isn't something that can directly infect from an email message.
>
> There were some innocent sites that were hacked to distribute this malicious
> code--which is a good part of where the real risk lies for users who don't
> frequent porn sites.
>
> I doubt that my users were making use of the features of Internet Explorer
> that would be disabled by the simpler work-arounds for this exploit, but I'm
> not certain of that, and did't want to have to fix this twice--once via a
> work-around and then need to reverse that and install the final patch.
>
> I'm glad they were able to produce a patch quickly.
>
> --
>
> "Stu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Panic over Bill? You know, maybe I`m too laid back with these security
> > issues. I can never understand why there is this tendency for a `knee
> > jerk`
> > reaction with associated buzz on these NGs - like bees which have just
> > been
> > awoken from their hives. Everything buzzing around (deliberating and
> > speculating) while someone works quietly in the background resolving the
> > issue. Perhaps there are times when ignorance is bliss ;)
> >
> > Stu
> >
> > "Bill Sanderson" wrote:
> >
> >> A patch for this will be issued tomorrow, as others in this thead have
> >> noted
> >> (oops--today!)
> >>
> >> I'd advise installing this patch.
> >>
> >> That's what I plan to do.
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> "Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Stu

      17th Dec 2008
Let us not forget the `good` web site devlopers have a certain responsibility
here.

Stu