Sending hundreds of emails by itself

=?Utf-8?B?Qm9i?=

      23rd Mar 2004
When I connect to the internet my computer sends hundreds of emails. I know this because I start getting back messages right away saying that most of them cannot be delivered. I have run Norton and MacCafey and there software said that I don't have a virus. I even did a manual search for most of the names. Does anyone have any ideas
http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/(E-Mail Removed).

      23rd Mar 2004
possibly spyware? but is strange. long as you are updating
your anti virus once a day.and scan your system, cause it
sounds like you are a mail server for spam. try spybot
safer-networking.org ,update ,scan on easy and remove scum.

      23rd Mar 2004

can damage your antivirus program so the scan may not be
accurate.

Tom

      23rd Mar 2004
you have a trojan. You need something like Mcafee Stinger, it should find
the problem and seriously consider an alternate antivirus program, or make
sure you update your antivirus daily if possible.

http://us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/default.asp?id=stinger

Tom
> When I connect to the internet my computer sends hundreds of emails. I

know this because I start getting back messages right away saying that most
of them cannot be delivered. I have run Norton and MacCafey and there
software said that I don't have a virus. I even did a manual search for
most of the names. Does anyone have any ideas.
> (E-Mail Removed).

Torgeir Bakken \(MVP\)

      23rd Mar 2004
Bob wrote:

> When I connect to the internet my computer sends hundreds of emails.
> I know this because I start getting back messages right away saying
> that most of them cannot be delivered. I have run Norton and
> MacCafey and there software said that I don't have a virus.

Hi

Those e-mails aren't necessarily coming from your computer.

They can also be sent from another computer that is infected with
a worm/virus that has found your e-mail address on that computer
and is using it when spoofing the From address on the e-mails the
worm sends out.

Weekly, I also get several such undelivered messages sent to me
claiming I have sent e-mails (to people I have never known) with
worms/viruses attached. I can tell you, those e-mails are not sent
by me or my computer ;-)

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/com...r/default.mspx

Plato

      23rd Mar 2004
=?Utf-8?B?Qm9i?= wrote:

> When I connect to the internet my computer sends hundreds of emails. I know this

You have installed a trojan, yes, you did and it has its own smpt
mailing program.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Steve Nielsen

      23rd Mar 2004
In addition to the other replies, you may merely be a victim of someone
else's computer who has your email address that is infected with a mass
mailing worm or virus. Many of them spoof addresses from address lists
on the infected computer to make the messages they send out appear to
have originated from somewhere else.

Steve

Bob wrote:

> When I connect to the internet my computer sends hundreds of emails.
> I know this because I start getting back messages right away saying
> that most of them cannot be delivered. I have run Norton and
> MacCafey and there software said that I don't have a virus. I even
> did a manual search for most of the names. Does anyone have any
> ideas. (E-Mail Removed).

Tim Slattery

      23rd Mar 2004
Bob <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>When I connect to the internet my computer sends hundreds of emails. I know this because I start getting back messages right away saying that most of them cannot be delivered. I have run Norton and MacCafey and there software said that I don't have a virus. I even did a manual search for most of the names. Does anyone have any ideas.

It may not actually be your computer that's sending the messages. The
Sven worm - and probably other forms of malware also - will pick an
address from the infected machine's address book to use as a "From"
address. Spammers also pick an email address at random to use in the
"From" header. That guarantees that any bounce messages (like you're
getting) and complaints go to somebody else and they (the spammers)
don't have to deal with them.

If this is the case, there's not much you can do but delete the bogus
bounce messages.

--
Tim Slattery
MS MVP(DTS)

Steve C. Ray

      24th Mar 2004
These emails are not coming from your computer, but from some other one that
has your email address in it's address book. Nothing you can do about it,
just keep your virus definitions up to date.

--
Steve C. Ray
(Replace "mail" with "36db"