Selection Mode Stuck

rainborick

      26th Jan 2006

I've accidentally put Excel (Office 2003, w/latest updates) into a
sticky selection mode on this one spreadsheet file and I can't turn it
off. I apparently hit a key combo (I think with a mouse click) and now
when I open this file and single click on any cell, that cell is
selected and the selection extends in both directions as I move the
mouse. I can't click on any buttons, or toolbar icons, or do anything
to stop this selecting mode. It just goes on and on, autoscrolling to
infinity. I eventually have to CTRL-ALT-DEL to kill Excel, just to
free up my computer. Any help would be much appreciated.

--
rainborick
rainborick's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30875

Don Guillett

      27th Jan 2006
try touching the f8 key

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

> I've accidentally put Excel (Office 2003, w/latest updates) into a
> sticky selection mode on this one spreadsheet file and I can't turn it
> off. I apparently hit a key combo (I think with a mouse click) and now
> when I open this file and single click on any cell, that cell is
> selected and the selection extends in both directions as I move the
> mouse. I can't click on any buttons, or toolbar icons, or do anything
> to stop this selecting mode. It just goes on and on, autoscrolling to
> infinity. I eventually have to CTRL-ALT-DEL to kill Excel, just to
> free up my computer. Any help would be much appreciated.
>

> --
> rainborick
> rainborick's Profile:
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=505538

=?Utf-8?B?a29seWE=?=

      23rd Mar 2006
I am having the same problem. F8 did not help. Any other suggestions?

"rainborick" wrote:

> I've accidentally put Excel (Office 2003, w/latest updates) into a
> sticky selection mode on this one spreadsheet file and I can't turn it
> off. I apparently hit a key combo (I think with a mouse click) and now
> when I open this file and single click on any cell, that cell is
> selected and the selection extends in both directions as I move the
> mouse. I can't click on any buttons, or toolbar icons, or do anything
> to stop this selecting mode. It just goes on and on, autoscrolling to
> infinity. I eventually have to CTRL-ALT-DEL to kill Excel, just to
> free up my computer. Any help would be much appreciated.
>

> --
> rainborick
> rainborick's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30875
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=505538

Mikeopolo

      23rd Mar 2006

Sometimes, clicking the left and right mouse buttons at the same time
will free up the cursor.

Also try (if this is a USB mouse) diconnecting and reconnecting,
several times if need be.

And if the mouse has a wheel, try clicking that a few times.

Last 2 suggestions thanks to Chip Pearson MS MVP

Regards
Mike

--
Mikeopolo
Mikeopolo's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=18570
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=505538

=?Utf-8?B?a29seWE=?=

      23rd Mar 2006
that worked...thanks

"Mikeopolo" wrote:

> Sometimes, clicking the left and right mouse buttons at the same time
> will free up the cursor.
>
> Also try (if this is a USB mouse) diconnecting and reconnecting,
> several times if need be.
>
> And if the mouse has a wheel, try clicking that a few times.
>
> Last 2 suggestions thanks to Chip Pearson MS MVP
>
> Regards
> Mike
>

> --
> Mikeopolo
> Mikeopolo's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=18570
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=505538

New Member

      24th Mar 2011
I had the same issue. The issue was across all applications not just Excel. To solve the problem I RnR the batteries and re-synced. The drivers were auto reloaded. Now no more permanent selection issue.