Selection.Delete Shift:=xlToLeft (what's the meaning of this?)

markx

      13th Mar 2006
Hello,

Could someone explain to me what is the meaning of the VBA expression:
Selection.Delete Shift:=xlToLeft

Intuitively, I would suppose that it should delete the selection, but why
there is this "Shift" part coming after?

The whole part of the code I try to analyze goes like this (and it looks
like a big garbage for me):

(...)
Range("A3").Select
Range(Selection, Selection.End(xlToRight)).Select
Selection.Copy
Sheets("Confirmations").Select
Range("BA22").Select
Selection.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlValues, Operation:=xlNone, SkipBlanks:=
_
False, Transpose:=False
Columns("BA:BD").Select
Application.CutCopyMode = False
Selection.Delete Shift:=xlToLeft
Columns("BC:BD").Select
Selection.Delete Shift:=xlToLeft
Columns("BD:BF").Select
Selection.Delete Shift:=xlToLeft
Columns("BE:BZ").Select
Selection.Delete Shift:=xlToLeft
Range("BA22:BD55").Select
Selection.Copy
Range("A22").Select
ActiveSheet.Paste
(...)

In particular, I can't see what is the goal of selecting first BA:BD, then
BC:BD, then BD:BF and finally BE:BZ...
Is it me that don't understand something or the code should be written
differently? (hint: it's still functionning correctly and it is not deleting
the data pasted in BA22 (lines 4-8 of the code)).

Many thanks for any explanations!
Mark

Otto Moehrbach

      13th Mar 2006
The line that selects the columns does just that. The line that deletes the
selection deletes the selected columns. The shift to the left part simply
shifts the remaining columns to the left. That code is not necessary since
the shift to the left is the default. Note that if you delete a column, the
column to the right will move left and occupy the space where the deleted
column was. The new column will also take the column letter of the deleted
column. Perhaps that is where you are confused. In other words, if the
sheet is blank and you delete a column or group of columns, you will not see
any change at all.
Exactly what is that you want this code to do? HTH Otto
"markx" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:elRvA$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> Could someone explain to me what is the meaning of the VBA expression:
> Selection.Delete Shift:=xlToLeft
>
> Intuitively, I would suppose that it should delete the selection, but why
> there is this "Shift" part coming after?
>
> The whole part of the code I try to analyze goes like this (and it looks
> like a big garbage for me):
>
> (...)
> Range("A3").Select
> Range(Selection, Selection.End(xlToRight)).Select
> Range(Selection, Selection.End(xlDown)).Select
> Selection.Copy
> Sheets("Confirmations").Select
> Range("BA22").Select
> Selection.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlValues, Operation:=xlNone, SkipBlanks:=
> _
> False, Transpose:=False
> Columns("BA:BD").Select
> Application.CutCopyMode = False
> Selection.Delete Shift:=xlToLeft
> Columns("BC:BD").Select
> Selection.Delete Shift:=xlToLeft
> Columns("BD:BF").Select
> Selection.Delete Shift:=xlToLeft
> Columns("BE:BZ").Select
> Selection.Delete Shift:=xlToLeft
> Range("BA22:BD55").Select
> Selection.Copy
> Range("A22").Select
> ActiveSheet.Paste
> (...)
>
> In particular, I can't see what is the goal of selecting first BA:BD, then
> BC:BD, then BD:BF and finally BE:BZ...
> Is it me that don't understand something or the code should be written
> differently? (hint: it's still functionning correctly and it is not
> deleting the data pasted in BA22 (lines 4-8 of the code)).
>
> Many thanks for any explanations!
> Mark

=?Utf-8?B?RGF2ZU8=?=

      13th Mar 2006
If you delete a selection of cells normally, if offers you the chance to
shift the cells up or to the left or the entire row or column.

The Shift:=xlLeft means it uses the Shift Cells Left option.

HTH.

"markx" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Could someone explain to me what is the meaning of the VBA expression:
> Selection.Delete Shift:=xlToLeft
>
> Intuitively, I would suppose that it should delete the selection, but why
> there is this "Shift" part coming after?
>
> The whole part of the code I try to analyze goes like this (and it looks
> like a big garbage for me):
>
> (...)
> Range("A3").Select
> Range(Selection, Selection.End(xlToRight)).Select
> Range(Selection, Selection.End(xlDown)).Select
> Selection.Copy
> Sheets("Confirmations").Select
> Range("BA22").Select
> Selection.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlValues, Operation:=xlNone, SkipBlanks:=
> _
> False, Transpose:=False
> Columns("BA:BD").Select
> Application.CutCopyMode = False
> Selection.Delete Shift:=xlToLeft
> Columns("BC:BD").Select
> Selection.Delete Shift:=xlToLeft
> Columns("BD:BF").Select
> Selection.Delete Shift:=xlToLeft
> Columns("BE:BZ").Select
> Selection.Delete Shift:=xlToLeft
> Range("BA22:BD55").Select
> Selection.Copy
> Range("A22").Select
> ActiveSheet.Paste
> (...)
>
> In particular, I can't see what is the goal of selecting first BA:BD, then
> BC:BD, then BD:BF and finally BE:BZ...
> Is it me that don't understand something or the code should be written
> differently? (hint: it's still functionning correctly and it is not deleting
> the data pasted in BA22 (lines 4-8 of the code)).
>
> Many thanks for any explanations!
> Mark

markx

      13th Mar 2006
Thanks to you both!
Now I understand much better this part of code...
Have a nice day!

news:(E-Mail Removed)...