seizing FSMO roles

Steve Paul

      20th May 2009
If there are 2 domain controllers in my active directory and one of them
holds all the FSMO roles but both are global catalogs, can the 2nd DC seize
all the roles in the event the one currently holding them all fails or is
otherwise unusable ?

thanks

Ace Fekay [Microsoft Certified Trainer]

      20th May 2009
"Steve Paul" <steve (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If there are 2 domain controllers in my active directory and one of them
> holds all the FSMO roles but both are global catalogs, can the 2nd DC seize
> all the roles in the event the one currently holding them all fails or is
> otherwise unusable ?
>
> thanks

Yes, it can. But once you seize the roles, you cannot bring that machine back up. Assuming you seized it because the server failed, you will also need to perform a MetaData Cleanup to remove the old server's reference.

Are you having any problems currently?

--
Ace

confers no rights.

Ace Fekay, MCSE 2003 & 2000, MCSA 2003 & 2000, MCSA Messaging, MCT
Microsoft Certified Trainer
(E-Mail Removed)

For urgent issues, you may want to contact Microsoft PSS directly. Please

"Efficiency is doing things right; effectiveness is doing the right things." - Peter F. Drucker
http://twitter.com/acefekay

Ace Fekay [Microsoft Certified Trainer]

      20th May 2009
"Steve Paul" <steve (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If there are 2 domain controllers in my active directory and one of them
> holds all the FSMO roles but both are global catalogs, can the 2nd DC seize
> all the roles in the event the one currently holding them all fails or is
> otherwise unusable ?
>
> thanks

Yes, it can. But once you seize the roles, you cannot bring that machine back up. Assuming you seized it because the server failed, you will also need to perform a MetaData Cleanup to remove the old server's reference.

Are you having any problems currently?

--
Ace

confers no rights.

Ace Fekay, MCSE 2003 & 2000, MCSA 2003 & 2000, MCSA Messaging, MCT
Microsoft Certified Trainer
(E-Mail Removed)

For urgent issues, you may want to contact Microsoft PSS directly. Please

"Efficiency is doing things right; effectiveness is doing the right things." - Peter F. Drucker
http://twitter.com/acefekay

Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS]

      20th May 2009
Hello Steve,

Yes, you can seize them, but then do not bring the old one back to the domain,
this will result in conflicts.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
no rights.

> If there are 2 domain controllers in my active directory and one of
> them holds all the FSMO roles but both are global catalogs, can the
> 2nd DC seize all the roles in the event the one currently holding them
> all fails or is otherwise unusable ?
>
> thanks

Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS]

      20th May 2009
Hello Steve,

Yes, you can seize them, but then do not bring the old one back to the domain,
this will result in conflicts.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
no rights.

> If there are 2 domain controllers in my active directory and one of
> them holds all the FSMO roles but both are global catalogs, can the
> 2nd DC seize all the roles in the event the one currently holding them
> all fails or is otherwise unusable ?
>
> thanks

steve paul

      23rd May 2009
Thank you - I am not having any problems - just wanted to know for disaster
planning
--
Steve Paul

steve paul

      23rd May 2009
Thank You
--
Steve Paul

"Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS]" wrote:

> Hello Steve,
>
> Yes, you can seize them, but then do not bring the old one back to the domain,
> this will result in conflicts.
>
> Best regards
>
> Meinolf Weber
> Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers
> no rights.
> ** Please do NOT email, only reply to Newsgroups
> ** HELP us help YOU!!! http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm
>

> > If there are 2 domain controllers in my active directory and one of
> > them holds all the FSMO roles but both are global catalogs, can the
> > 2nd DC seize all the roles in the event the one currently holding them
> > all fails or is otherwise unusable ?
> >
> > thanks

steve paul

      23rd May 2009
Thank You
--
Steve Paul

"steve paul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thank you - I am not having any problems - just wanted to know for disaster
> planning
> --
> Steve Paul

You are welcome!