Security settings ClickOnce

Nick Large

      26th Oct 2009
Hi.

I am following some guidelines on how to convert a WPF exe to an XBap
application as I am currently researching the possibility of using MS Blend
3 for software development, and we don't create windows forms applications,
nor are we intending on allowing our users to run silverlight applications
because it means a local install of the silverlight runtime that would not
be allowed by some users (For reasons I do not know). Anyway, I followed
this link http://www.charlespetzold.com/blog/2006/11/120718.html that I got
from a search engine and at one point it asks to click on Advanced security
settings and turn off the option "Debug this application with the selected
permission set", but when I open this advanced settings page the value is
always greyed out and checked so I cannot modify it at all. The other
setting "Grant the application access to its site of origin" is available.

Why would this be and how can I get around it in order to uncheck the
checkbox?

Alternatively if anyone knows a simplistic way of converting an exe to an
xbap, please share.

Thanks in advance.

Colbert Zhou [MSFT]

      27th Oct 2009
Hello Nick,

Thanks for posting! Based on the following MSDN documentation,
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/z17ceyya.aspx

"In the Advanced Security Settings dialog box, the Debug this application
with the selected permission set check box is selected and disabled. This
is because Debug In Zone cannot be turned off for browser-hosted
applications."

So, as to a converted XBAP application, it is by designed that that option
selected and disabled in the new version of Visual Studio 2008. That blog
may talk something about a previous version. Or, it is just wrong. By the
way, if we ignore this step, does it convert correctly?

About converting WPF client application to Web based application topic, you
can find some discussions from the internet,
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/for...6a7-eb9d-42f6-
86ba-7fbefb72fa95/
http://channel9.msdn.com/forums/Tech...standalone-app
lication-to-XBAP/

If you need future help on this, I think maybe trying in official WPF forum
is a better because the WPF forum is more appropriate for this question,
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/for...S/wpf/threads/

Best regards,
Ji Zhou
Microsoft Online Community Support

Nick Large

      27th Oct 2009
Thanks Colbert,

I actually found some information about how to go about putting an xbap into
a html page, you need to use an iframe, or alternatively link directly to
the xaml page.

Thanks for confirming that it is disabled by design, I dont know why it
would be available in one version and unavailable in the next but at least
there is some information to go by.

I will use the thread you mentioned.

Thanks again.
Nick.