Search for ONLY compressed files??

ridergroov

      13th May 2006
How do I search for ONLY the compressed files on my hard drive? Just
want to see which ones are compressed. THanks!

Richard Urban

      13th May 2006
Search for *.zip

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from George Ankner:

"ridergroov" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> How do I search for ONLY the compressed files on my hard drive? Just
> want to see which ones are compressed. THanks!

=?Utf-8?B?U2hhd24gS2VlbmU=?=

      13th May 2006
Searching for *.zip will find any files that you have compressed using XP's
built-in ZIP file creator/extractor ("compressed folders").

However, to my knowledge there is no way to run a search to find all files
that are currently compressed using the NTFS compression. However, you can
use Folder Options in Control Panel to "show encrypted or compressed ntfs
files in color" (see the View tab). This option will cause compressed files'
names to appear in blue font, and encrypted files to appear in green.

SK

"Richard Urban" wrote:

> Search for *.zip
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> Quote from George Ankner:
>
> "ridergroov" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > How do I search for ONLY the compressed files on my hard drive? Just
> > want to see which ones are compressed. THanks!

David Candy

      14th May 2006
compact *.* /a /s:C:\

How to lose a war in Iraq
http://webdiary.com.au/cms/?q=node/1335#comment-48641
"Shawn Keene" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Searching for *.zip will find any files that you have compressed using XP's
> built-in ZIP file creator/extractor ("compressed folders").
>
> However, to my knowledge there is no way to run a search to find all files
> that are currently compressed using the NTFS compression. However, you can
> use Folder Options in Control Panel to "show encrypted or compressed ntfs
> files in color" (see the View tab). This option will cause compressed files'
> names to appear in blue font, and encrypted files to appear in green.
>
> SK
>
> "Richard Urban" wrote:
>
>> Search for *.zip
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard Urban
>> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> Quote from George Ankner:
>>
>> "ridergroov" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > How do I search for ONLY the compressed files on my hard drive? Just
>> > want to see which ones are compressed. THanks!

=?Utf-8?B?U2hhd24gS2VlbmU=?=

      14th May 2006
Thanks David. I didn't know about that command.

Tip: When I ran the command, the detailed output scrolled so long that it
used up all my command prompt's buffer lines (couldn't scroll all the way
back up to the beginning where the command was issued). But you can type the
command this way, and it will save the entire results of the output in a text
file you specify...

compact *.* /a /s:c:\ > c:\output.txt

"David Candy" wrote:

> compact *.* /a /s:C:\

> How to lose a war in Iraq
> http://webdiary.com.au/cms/?q=node/1335#comment-48641
> "Shawn Keene" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Searching for *.zip will find any files that you have compressed using XP's
> > built-in ZIP file creator/extractor ("compressed folders").
> >
> > However, to my knowledge there is no way to run a search to find all files
> > that are currently compressed using the NTFS compression. However, you can
> > use Folder Options in Control Panel to "show encrypted or compressed ntfs
> > files in color" (see the View tab). This option will cause compressed files'
> > names to appear in blue font, and encrypted files to appear in green.
> >
> > SK
> >
> > "Richard Urban" wrote:
> >
> >> Search for *.zip
> >>
> >> --
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> Richard Urban
> >> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
> >>
> >> Quote from George Ankner:
> >> If you knew as much as you think you know,
> >> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!
> >>
> >> "ridergroov" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

David Candy

      14th May 2006
You can always use more to page