search folders across mailboxes

Milver

      21st Jun 2008
Is there a way (3rd party, custom development, macro, etc) to trick a
search folder to search across mailboxes (multiple pst files and
exchange mailbox)?

Thanks!

Milver

      21st Jun 2008
By the way, I have Outlook 2007.

Milver wrote:
> Is there a way (3rd party, custom development, macro, etc) to trick a
> search folder to search across mailboxes (multiple pst files and
> exchange mailbox)?
>
> Thanks!

Gordon

      21st Jun 2008
"Milver" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> By the way, I have Outlook 2007.
>
> Milver wrote:
>> Is there a way (3rd party, custom development, macro, etc) to trick a
>> search folder to search across mailboxes (multiple pst files and
>> exchange mailbox)?
>>
>> Thanks!

Click on "All Mail Items" in the LH pane - that will certainly search across
all pst files you currently have open....can't speak for Exchange mailbox as
I don't have one...

Milver

      21st Jun 2008
On Jun 21, 11:37*am, "Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Milver" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> > By the way, I have Outlook 2007.

> > Milver wrote:
> >> Is there a way (3rd party, custom development, macro, etc) to trick a
> >> search folder to search across mailboxes (multiple pst files and
> >> exchange mailbox)?

> >> Thanks!

> Click on "All Mail Items" in the LH pane - that will certainly search across
> all pst files you currently have open....can't speak for Exchange mailbox as
> I don't have one...

I know that the "search" function can search across mailboxes, but I
am interested in the "search folder" functionality so that the results
of the queries are shown in this "virtual" folder. The issue is that
"search folders" can only search within the mailbox they reside. I
want to have a "search folder" that processes a query through my
personal pst files and my exchange mailbox...

Diane Poremsky {MVP}

      22nd Jun 2008
No you can't make search folders that work across data stores.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:
(E-Mail Removed)

(E-Mail Removed)

** Please include your Outlook version, Account type, and Windows Version
when requesting assistance **

"Milver" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Jun 21, 11:37 am, "Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> "Milver" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> > By the way, I have Outlook 2007.

>> Click on "All Mail Items" in the LH pane - that will certainly search
>> across
>> all pst files you currently have open....can't speak for Exchange mailbox
>> as
>> I don't have one...

> I know that the "search" function can search across mailboxes, but I
> am interested in the "search folder" functionality so that the results
> of the queries are shown in this "virtual" folder. The issue is that
> "search folders" can only search within the mailbox they reside. I
> want to have a "search folder" that processes a query through my
> personal pst files and my exchange mailbox...

Milver

      23rd Jun 2008
I guess I was in denial...I knew it was not possible, but I was hoping
an advanced developer would have coded a workaround to collect all
results into a single search folder. I would assume that this is a
fairly common request as exchange folders tend to have size limits as
well as pst files. Live Search in outlook is a solution, but it is
annoying that I gotta setup my search query every time and I cannot
persist the query (hence search folders). Also, if I click in other
folder away from the live search, I loose it.
I was hoping Outlook 2007 would have included a way to search across
those "data stores"...Is there a hope for having this feature in
future releases?

Thanks anyways...

Milver

Diane Poremsky {MVP}

      23rd Jun 2008
There is always hope... at least for some things. I *think* its on the
drawing board.