PC Review


Reply
Thread Tools Rate Thread

SDI2HD problem

 
 
Victor Zaslavsky
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      30th Apr 2009
Hi folks,

I've created bootable CD-ROM with MS-DOS 6.22, sdi2hd.exe and my .sdi file
on it.
After boot sdi2hd successfully displays disk information (/X) and sdi file
information (/I).

However it fails to copy the sdi image onto target HD.
It prints something like that:
|----+----+----+----|
/

with rotating symbol in the bottom line and does not progress for long ime
(>30 minutes).

I've canceled the flash proccess and loadaed my XP system from another
drive.
Disk manager shows the target device as invalid, without any partition on
it.

What can be the problem?

My system is Intel Q965 - based with SATADOM 4 GB HD, 2 GB RAM and DVD
connected over USB.

Thanks in advance,
Victor.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Sean Liming
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      30th Apr 2009

The SDI2HD deployment method is slow. If your system support USB 2.0 boot,
you could consider an alternative deployment method -
http://www.seanliming.com/Docs/Artic...ash%20Boot.pdf

Regards,

Sean Liming
www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com
Book Author - XP Embedded Advanced, XP Embedded Supplemental Toolkit


"Victor Zaslavsky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:emuQa$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi folks,
>
> I've created bootable CD-ROM with MS-DOS 6.22, sdi2hd.exe and my .sdi file
> on it.
> After boot sdi2hd successfully displays disk information (/X) and sdi file
> information (/I).
>
> However it fails to copy the sdi image onto target HD.
> It prints something like that:
> |----+----+----+----|
> /
>
> with rotating symbol in the bottom line and does not progress for long ime
> (>30 minutes).
>
> I've canceled the flash proccess and loadaed my XP system from another
> drive.
> Disk manager shows the target device as invalid, without any partition on
> it.
>
> What can be the problem?
>
> My system is Intel Q965 - based with SATADOM 4 GB HD, 2 GB RAM and DVD
> connected over USB.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Victor.
>
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Victor Zaslavsky
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      30th Apr 2009
Hi Sean,

Thanks for helping me.

Is the sdi2hd.exe AS SLOW? 30 minutes are enough to re-write to 4 GB SDD
several times.

And the application even didn't create a partition on the target device.

It looks like I did something wrong, not Microsoft.

Can it be caused by some misstake while creating sdi file?
If yes, how can I check the sdi file consystency?

Thanks again,
Victor.


"Sean Liming" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> The SDI2HD deployment method is slow. If your system support USB 2.0 boot,
> you could consider an alternative deployment method -
> http://www.seanliming.com/Docs/Artic...ash%20Boot.pdf
>
> Regards,
>
> Sean Liming
> www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com
> Book Author - XP Embedded Advanced, XP Embedded Supplemental Toolkit
>
>
> "Victor Zaslavsky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:emuQa$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I've created bootable CD-ROM with MS-DOS 6.22, sdi2hd.exe and my .sdi
>> file on it.
>> After boot sdi2hd successfully displays disk information (/X) and sdi
>> file information (/I).
>>
>> However it fails to copy the sdi image onto target HD.
>> It prints something like that:
>> |----+----+----+----|
>> /
>>
>> with rotating symbol in the bottom line and does not progress for long
>> ime (>30 minutes).
>>
>> I've canceled the flash proccess and loadaed my XP system from another
>> drive.
>> Disk manager shows the target device as invalid, without any partition on
>> it.
>>
>> What can be the problem?
>>
>> My system is Intel Q965 - based with SATADOM 4 GB HD, 2 GB RAM and DVD
>> connected over USB.
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Victor.
>>
>>

>



 
Reply With Quote
 
JS
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      1st May 2009
SDI is slow, 4GB might take 90 minutes.
Try writing a small partition as a test.
I believe you must pre-create the partition if you are writing only a
partition, and not the whole disk.
Also, try using a CD-R initially not a DVD (if you are using DVD).



"Victor Zaslavsky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%23qV$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Sean,
>
> Thanks for helping me.
>
> Is the sdi2hd.exe AS SLOW? 30 minutes are enough to re-write to 4 GB SDD
> several times.
>
> And the application even didn't create a partition on the target device.
>
> It looks like I did something wrong, not Microsoft.
>
> Can it be caused by some misstake while creating sdi file?
> If yes, how can I check the sdi file consystency?
>
> Thanks again,
> Victor.
>
>
> "Sean Liming" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> The SDI2HD deployment method is slow. If your system support USB 2.0
>> boot, you could consider an alternative deployment method -
>> http://www.seanliming.com/Docs/Artic...ash%20Boot.pdf
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Sean Liming
>> www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com
>> Book Author - XP Embedded Advanced, XP Embedded Supplemental Toolkit
>>
>>
>> "Victor Zaslavsky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:emuQa$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hi folks,
>>>
>>> I've created bootable CD-ROM with MS-DOS 6.22, sdi2hd.exe and my .sdi
>>> file on it.
>>> After boot sdi2hd successfully displays disk information (/X) and sdi
>>> file information (/I).
>>>
>>> However it fails to copy the sdi image onto target HD.
>>> It prints something like that:
>>> |----+----+----+----|
>>> /
>>>
>>> with rotating symbol in the bottom line and does not progress for long
>>> ime (>30 minutes).
>>>
>>> I've canceled the flash proccess and loadaed my XP system from another
>>> drive.
>>> Disk manager shows the target device as invalid, without any partition
>>> on it.
>>>
>>> What can be the problem?
>>>
>>> My system is Intel Q965 - based with SATADOM 4 GB HD, 2 GB RAM and DVD
>>> connected over USB.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance,
>>> Victor.
>>>
>>>

>>

>
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
Victor Zaslavsky
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      1st May 2009
Hi,

Thanks for the clarification.

I do use CD because I didn't find a way to create bootable DVD (XPE
documentation does not address this issue or I just missed it).

My sdi file size is about 600 MB and I was able to put it onto bootable CD
with MS-DOS 6.22.
I cannot put it onto bootable CD with Windows PE because it requires another
150 MB of space.

Does SDI under PE work faster than under MS-DOS?
If yes, how can I create bootable DVD image?

Thanks in advance,
Victor.
"JS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> SDI is slow, 4GB might take 90 minutes.
> Try writing a small partition as a test.
> I believe you must pre-create the partition if you are writing only a
> partition, and not the whole disk.
> Also, try using a CD-R initially not a DVD (if you are using DVD).
>
>
>
> "Victor Zaslavsky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%23qV$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi Sean,
>>
>> Thanks for helping me.
>>
>> Is the sdi2hd.exe AS SLOW? 30 minutes are enough to re-write to 4 GB SDD
>> several times.
>>
>> And the application even didn't create a partition on the target device.
>>
>> It looks like I did something wrong, not Microsoft.
>>
>> Can it be caused by some misstake while creating sdi file?
>> If yes, how can I check the sdi file consystency?
>>
>> Thanks again,
>> Victor.
>>
>>
>> "Sean Liming" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> The SDI2HD deployment method is slow. If your system support USB 2.0
>>> boot, you could consider an alternative deployment method -
>>> http://www.seanliming.com/Docs/Artic...ash%20Boot.pdf
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Sean Liming
>>> www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com
>>> Book Author - XP Embedded Advanced, XP Embedded Supplemental Toolkit
>>>
>>>
>>> "Victor Zaslavsky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:emuQa$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>> Hi folks,
>>>>
>>>> I've created bootable CD-ROM with MS-DOS 6.22, sdi2hd.exe and my .sdi
>>>> file on it.
>>>> After boot sdi2hd successfully displays disk information (/X) and sdi
>>>> file information (/I).
>>>>
>>>> However it fails to copy the sdi image onto target HD.
>>>> It prints something like that:
>>>> |----+----+----+----|
>>>> /
>>>>
>>>> with rotating symbol in the bottom line and does not progress for long
>>>> ime (>30 minutes).
>>>>
>>>> I've canceled the flash proccess and loadaed my XP system from another
>>>> drive.
>>>> Disk manager shows the target device as invalid, without any partition
>>>> on it.
>>>>
>>>> What can be the problem?
>>>>
>>>> My system is Intel Q965 - based with SATADOM 4 GB HD, 2 GB RAM and DVD
>>>> connected over USB.
>>>>
>>>> Thanks in advance,
>>>> Victor.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>

>>
>>

>



 
Reply With Quote
 
JS
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      2nd May 2009
You can make a bootable dvd with oscdimg.exe. This comes with the Win PE
tools.
You need to use a more recent version of the Win PE tools (eg: the Server
2003 version),
rather than the original XP Win PE tools version.


"Victor Zaslavsky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the clarification.
>
> I do use CD because I didn't find a way to create bootable DVD (XPE
> documentation does not address this issue or I just missed it).
>
> My sdi file size is about 600 MB and I was able to put it onto bootable CD
> with MS-DOS 6.22.
> I cannot put it onto bootable CD with Windows PE because it requires
> another 150 MB of space.
>
> Does SDI under PE work faster than under MS-DOS?
> If yes, how can I create bootable DVD image?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Victor.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Where is sdi2hd.exe ? =?Utf-8?B?RnJlZA==?= Windows XP Embedded 7 10th Mar 2004 11:01 AM
SDI2HD stalls near completion David Dunning Windows XP Embedded 1 10th Dec 2003 07:08 PM
T5700 image and sdi2hd ... how? Brian Schau Windows XP Embedded 11 26th Nov 2003 08:50 PM
sdi2hd and partition size Darren Windows XP Embedded 4 30th Oct 2003 01:53 PM
Using sdi2hd, source file and target disk must be same size? Mark K Vallevand Windows XP Embedded 1 23rd Jul 2003 03:00 PM


Features
 

Advertising
 

Newsgroups
 


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:18 PM.